Star Trek:TNG "The Battle" (S1E09)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1 of 11
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD: 11/16/1987

Now that Season 1 is back on Netflix, I actually have a chance of watching this. Too bad I spent my TV time this weekend watching some season 2 and 3 stuff (which does get much better than most of season 1). I'll try to get to it this week and come back.

2. Sep 6, 2011 #2 of 11
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    While this one isn't as bad as the ones immediately before and after it, it's not great. The Picard Maneuver was especially annoying.

3. Sep 6, 2011 #3 of 11
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There's actually a simple defense against the Picard Maneuver; since it works by the ship's new location being closer than the old one (so the light from the first appearance at the new location reaches the viewer before the light from the last appearance at the old location), the light from the points the ship passed through will reach the viewer starting from the new location; this means that a third ship will appear to travel from the new location to the old one - aim at the ship that suddenly appeared to create a clone of itself.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #4 of 11
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    If it weren't for the darn "Picard Maneuver", this would have been a really good episode. The Ferengi were portrayed much better in this episode than their last appearance--still a little too twitchy, but not nearly as bad as before. I especially enjoyed that the Damon was removed from command by his first officer for doing something that couldn't make a profit.

The overall story of loss, treachery and revenge is pretty basic, but played well. Patrick Stewart gave a great performance--in fact, I think everybody but Wesley did a great job in the episode. Poor Wil Wheaton got stuck yet again with crap lines. It was like someone said "We need to have an excuse for Wesley to be a smartass--let's take something that Data or LaForge could have easily figured out, and have whiny Wes tell everybody about it."

But that damned Picard Maneuver pulls me out every time. Don hit the physics nail on the head, but even without the reverse visibility, you've got a 50/50 shot (they even acknowledge this in the early part of the episode). And anyone that knows what is going on should know exactly what to aim at. Now, if they wanted to really add some potential confusion, after the ship drops out of warp, they should kick it into reverse and warp back to the exact place they started from, and then fire. Still predictable if you know the entire plan, but at least then there is a chance that someone might be surprised.

5. Sep 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I thought he did the Picard Maneuver every time he stood up from his chair, at least that's what Frakes says.

--Carlos "shirt tug" V.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6 of 11
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Just had an errant thought. They used the ST Movie bridge set in this episode as the Stargazer bridge. While the fires and and explosions (aside from Picard blowing up the ball) were all in Picard's mind, it looked like they beat the set to heck to show the previous damage.

In the very next movie, Star Trek V, the Enterprise has a brand new bridge set built from the ground up. That obviously could have been just a design choice on the movie, but I wonder if the old set was deemed no longer usable after this episode.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #7 of 11
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    STV had the Enterprise A. I think the Stargazer was the old movie Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C or D) set from I-III.

8. Sep 7, 2011 #8 of 11
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    So which one became the Enterprise-D Battle Bridge? I thought that was one of the movie bridge sets.

Edit: both the Stargazer *and* the battle bridge were both the same set. Pretty obvious when you look at still shots of each, actually.

9. Sep 7, 2011 #9 of 11
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Nope, the same bridge was originally shown at the end of ST IV for the 1701-A. Just slightly redressed (the control panels were all intended to be touchscreens).

Loadstar, the old bridge set was redressed as the battle bridge; I'm trying to remember if we see the battle bridge again, at least in it's original configuration. I think we do see it at least one more time this season, so I could be wrong.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Let's see if I can deep link these images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Definitely the same set. I love how the captain's chair seems to be just welded to a plate and set on the floor.