Star Trek:TNG "Skin of Evil" (S1E23)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 10
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD: 4/25/1988

Ah, finally Tasha bites it. Oh, sorry, that's a spoiler. :)

A few real time thoughts:

Personal Log of Leland T Lynch, Leland T Lynch reporting. Leland T Lynch woke up this morning and Leland T Lynch gave Leland T Lynch a shower. Then Leland T Lynch drank some coffee that Leland T Lynch prepared...

I never liked this dilithium tray thing. It shows up later in the series as well, but in this episode it just looks like the dilithium monster took a giant dump on a cookie sheet.

I love how a 12" wide oil slick completely blocks their path.

I didn't remember Tasha dying so early in the episode. And I never understood why she wound up with that mark on her cheek, other that just as a poor visual reminder that the slime monster killed her.

Troi put in some decent acting.

The ultra evil lifeform seems more like a high school prankster.

I'm trying to remember if the fact that Tasha was already dead made me think they might have the guts to kill off Riker as well. I don't think it did, because Tasha's death was a pretty big media event (for the day).

I have to admit, I pretty much phased out during the last chunk of the episode. There was really nothing in the entire episode that grabbed my attention. It wasn't a *bad* episode...it was just kind of "there". It's like they knew they had to kill off Tasha and they built the story from there.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 10
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought the episode was surprisingly better than I remembered. All I remembered before the rewatch was the laughable oil slick CGI (which was as bad as I remembered)... but I thought the memorial service at the end was heartfelt and touching, particularly the coda scene with Picard and Data.

What WAS that red blotch on her cheek supposed to be anyway? It didn't look like a blood stain, it looked like someone stuck a big red "splat" sticker on her cheek.

They didn't try very hard to save Yar, did they? First Crusher scanned her for several seconds until she finally kicked it. Then, they beamed them up to the transporter room instead of direct to Sickbay. While in the transporter room, Crusher tosses around Yar like a ragdoll, despite the fact that she likely would have had a traumatic neck injury in addition to whatever Armus did to her.

The crashed shuttlecraft was really done on the cheap. It looked nothing like the shuttlecraft they had already shown on the show, especially the weird typeface they used on the side for the 1701-D identifier.

LOL! But you forgot: "Lieutenant Commander Leland T Lynch." You gotta include the rank for ultimate pomposity.

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 10
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I was sorry to see Tasha go, though Worf was much better in the security chief role.

I love how they killed her just in the regular line of duty, as any "red shirt" might have been and didn't work up some grand event just because she was a headliner.

4. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I've always disliked this one. I thought it was terrible from start to finish. The holodeck memorial sealed it.

5. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I saw this recently on Wil Wheaton's Tumblr:

[​IMG]

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I haven't rewatched this ep but really did like the recorded speech by Yar.

At conventions I've been to w/Frakes speaking, he usually brings up being in Metamucil w/black printer's ink. He didn't like that at all.

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Yes, I'm a little late. At least I'm getting caught up, last Saturday I watched 6 episodes in a row.

I felt exactly the same way, I remember hating this episode when it first aired, but honestly now, if they updated the effects it'd be a pretty decent one.

Which immediately brings up the point: why didn't they just beam her to sickbay? They've done that before, or at very least, beam her to the transporter pad and THEN to sickbay, similar to the cargo in the previous episode.

And ANOTHER thing... the last 3 episodes, Riker's been Mr. Bill. "No, Mr. Sluggo! Don't freeze me in a force field! Not electricity from your hand! No, don't pull me into the oil slick again, oh noooo!"

Greg

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not to mention that in two episodes, "No, Mister Nice Admiral, don't beat the crap out of me!"

However, Worf replaces him as designated punching bag shortly afterwards.

9. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    That's one thing that has bugged me rewatching these (I'm up to season 5 already).

Worf is a wuss! He gets his ass kicked repeatedly which is just not in line with how he is made out to be: Mr. Warrior, tough as nails...

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This is a trap that the writers fell into, in order to show how serious a threat is, have him beat up on Worf.
    Which made you wonder why he was held in high regard.

"Mr. Worf, you're the best security chief in Starfleet."

"Tune in next week when the Ferengi take the ship."

The only time I really thought that it worked well though was when he squared off against Danar in The Hunted.
    After all, Danar was basically a super-soldier.