Star Trek TNG: Manhunt (S2E19)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Dec 12, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I usually try to forget Laxwanna Troi episodes, and this is no exception. Don't remember it at all right now.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I rather liked this episode. It was a fairly basic story; no B-plot to speak of, which was nice. Not every story needs one. There was the Dixon Hill segment, but that wasn't really a B-plot so much as just an "interlude" in the plot.

Best moment:
    Riker: "Yes, it's something Troi warned me about when we first started to see each other. A Betazoid woman when she goes through this phase... quadruples her sex drive."
    Troi: "Or more."
    Riker: "Or more? You never told me that."
    Troi: "I didn't want to frighten you."

3. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    The main thing I remember about this episode is that it convinced tens of thousands of people that Mick Fleetwood played Homm.

They saw his name in the credits, saw Homm was a really tall guy, and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Of course, Homm was played by Carel Struycken (who also plays Lurch in the Addams Family movies). Mick Fleetwood played one of the bipedal "fish", and in the rubber fish mask, was totally unrecognizable.

I have personally corrected "Mick Fleetwood as Homm" errors on Wikipedia more than once.

And, yeah, other than the B-Plot with the fish aliens (which occupies maybe 30 seconds of the episode's total time) the whole thing is about nothing but Laxwanna Troi being frighteningly horny.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Don't forget Riker's subsequent GRIN.

Worf: "What a handsome species."

What an odd guest starring stint. Why not show Mick's face? Was he too famous? Camera shy? Why not just visit the set? Not willing to show his bare face? He did in the early days of Fleetwood Mac. Alright, I'll shut up now.

Greg

5. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot: GOWRON! :)

6. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Why don't I listen to myself? What was that? The episode didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. "Let's have Majel Barrett wandering around acting like the typical slut for an entire episode." "But we can only get about 20 minutes of that." "Well, throw in some fish people and a Dixon Hill skit to fill the rest of the time."

The episode wasn't bad...it was just pointless.

A couple of questions:

1. Did Majel Barrett wear contacts for this role? The dark of her eyes was huge.

2. Was this the first time that we had Majel Barrett talk to herself as the computer? Side story (I was going to say "Interesting Story"...but that's a judgement call)--I met Majel Barrett at a convention and asked her about this specific incident, and she explained how it was a fun concept, but since the computer voice was recorded separately, she didn't feel like she was talking to herself. She did say she put special effort into being computery (my word, not hers--it's been 20 years) for that specific computer recording.

3. Betazoids aren't aware of the function of the holodeck?

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would assume so. The show made that a trait of Betazoids; Marina Sirtis also wore black contacts throughout the show.

I don't know about all Betazoids, but Lwaxana was an aristocrat, and it's possible that she had rather infrequently gone off planet, and may not have encountered a holodeck before this.

In addition, the holodeck appears to be a fairly new technology to the Trek universe. The main crew seems to have very little experience with a holodeck before the Enterprise, at least based on Picard's glowing sales pitch for holodecks in "The Big Goodbye" and other indications.

8. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I did not know that. Sirtis' contacts must not have been quite that large, since I never noticed them before.

9. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Google for some head shots of Sirtis as herself, and some of her as Troy.

It's obvious.

They had all Betazoid characters wear huge black contacts.

The only visual difference between Betazoids and humans was a subtle one: really large black irises in their eyes.

(If I'm not mistaken, Majel Barret's eyes were blue. She, of course, wore the black contacts as Lwaxana.)

10. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I pulled up some pictures of her, and the lenses seemed smaller than Majel's. That could have been something over time, though--perhaps later in the series they gave her smaller lenses to make things more comfortable.

But she definitely had black eyes in the series. I'm surprised I never knew that before.

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Oh, and by the way:

Yep, blue eyes:

[​IMG]

And since they look somehow "enhanced" even there, here's another look:

[​IMG]

And now we see why her "Betazoid contacts" had to be so big. Her real irises are huge!

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Except for the fact that Jonathan Archer's Enterprise discovered Holodeck technology.
    :rolleyes:

13. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    As far as I'm concerned, Jonathan Archer didn't exist. :p

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Surprisingly enough, I don't consider that one of the more egregious continuity errors in Enterprise (and I'm usually a pretty harsh critic of all the continuity errors that series introduced).

Sure, Archer's Enterprise saw holodeck technology on an alien ship that was clearly more advanced than Human technology at that time.

Simply seeing it does not give them the know-how to reproduce it.

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    What about the fact that Sirtis invented this bizarre accent that was supposed to be the Betazoid accent, and then Majel Barrett decided not to do it.

16. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Yeah, slight problem there.

However, I think it's a far worse problem that Picard was supposed to be French, and not only a little French, but very proudly and somewhat smugly French.

Yet, he speaks with the clear, perfect Queen's English of a famous Shakespearean actor (which, of course, Patrick Stewart was).

That actually bugged me throughout the series (and don't get me wrong, ST:TNG is overall, one of my favorite TV shows of all time).

Also, as the series wore on, Sirtis phased out the Betazoid accent.

17. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Just started this one. Glad to see Picard has his dress uniform dress on.

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've read that they eventually fanwanked that one by saying the accent was from her father, supposedly.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    But then supposedly it took 200 years for them to recreate it.

And those aliens couldn't have been that much more advanced if Tucker could help them with their repairs.

And let's not forget that the Klingons got the holodeck technology but not the Humans.

But that's not as bad as the K't'inga class model as a 22nd Century Klingon Battlecruiser.

But what irritated me the most is that the IIC couldn't go more than four episodes without a holodeck.

20. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    How much of Sirtis' accent was her trying to be "Betazoid" (I can't type that without thinking "Freakazoid"), and how much was her trying to tone down her Greek accent. I was reading an interview with her yesterday, and she practically got off the boat (metaphorically) and started doing Star Trek.