Star Trek TNG: Loud as a Whisper (S2E05)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Oct 24, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    All I remember from this is "Look at me when you are speaking to me, not at my translators!"

2. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I really didn't like this one when I was a kid (well, 16). There's nothing really exctiing going on and I found the chorus kind of silly.

However, years later I appreciate it much more. Howie Seago was very good as Riva and I think that really helped drive it. It's a good hour of drama given a slight sci-fi treatment.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I totally agree.

After the disappointment of the previous four episodes, starting 1989 with this episode was a much needed breath of fresh air.

Riva is an interesting character and we see the characters of Troi, Data, and Worf starting to develop better.

I also liked the episode didn't end with an easy fix.
    Riva did come up with a solution but it was going to take time and work.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    CRAP! I got into watching episodes while baking, now I'm two ahead of everyone else. :)

Riva's beard was something to envy! I think I missed this one, I don't remember it at all. I agree with your opinions, and the FX were top notch, the disrupter effects were similar to the ones in the Saul Rubinek episode, "The Most Toys", that's coming up soon.

Greg

5. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I felt the same way, both when I was younger and now. Back then, it was boring. Now, it was an incredible episode.

It would have been easy to have one translator for Riva. They still could have told essentially the same story. But by breaking his personality into three components, the episode takes on a considerably larger emotional punch. It had to have been considerably more difficult to write and direct, but it was definitely worth it.

I was really amazed how well Howie Seago worked with his "chorus". They really did function together as one character.

Two gripes I had were more technical. First, one laser blast kills 3 people? Second, since Reva could read lips, why did Data translate what the crew was saying the conference room scene? It seemed like Spiner was told "Just make up some hand motions", as he would sometimes just throw out a single hand motion and stop, and whoever was speaking would keep going. It did appear that he made a "grabbing the ass" hand motion at one point...

6. Dargon

Dargon Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Huntsville,...
    They were using American Sign Language for their gestural language. Spiner was very "stiff" with his signs, so he had probably just learned the appropriate signs for what was being said. As you noticed, there was no attempt so keep what was being signed and what was being said in sync -- Spiner got ahead of the speaker many times.

The "grabbing the ass" motion was probably the sign for "want": both hands, palms upward with fingers bent, pull in towards yourself: http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/WANT.

7. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Yeah, that makes sense. And the "want" motion was definitely what he was doing.

But I'll continue my little fantasy that Data was pretending to grope someone. :)