Star Trek:TNG "Heart of Glory" (S1E20)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Oct 2, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD 3/21/1988

Some real time thoughts:

The shot of the Enterprise flying over the cargo ship makes me hope that they've got some decent quality material to go back to for the HD release.

I think they had to give the viewers some way of seeing what Geordi sees. There's no logical explanation for the "visual acuity transmitter", since a tricorder should be able to record and transmit visual images. What seems like bad writing to me is that this is the first time they've used it. If they wanted to see what Geordi sees they could do it on the ship, too.

For the ship having less than 5 minutes before it explodes, they sure are walking slowly.

That Klingon looks like an Italian stereotype.

I've read somewhere that the Klingon uniforms are from The Motion Picture.

I like that Worf got into the funeral screaming. This episode is obviously going to be a look into Worf's character. Some of it will most likely contradict other things we've heard, but it builds the backstory.

Shouldn't Engineering be a more secure area?

Why are Klingon bridges always filled with smoke? Since it doesn't make sense for their ships to be malfunctioning, I have to assume that the rest of the crew are toking it up...

Do we ever see the brig again like this? Seems like it changes quite a bit in later years (changes for the better, as this was just a set behind a corridor door).

What the heck is Worf's role in the first season? He just seems to be a library computer jockey--is he ever given any kind of title?

I don't think all that equipment was standard issue in The Motion Picture.

Why didn't he just shut the door?

Again, I ask, shouldn't Engineering be a more secure area? :)

Like the writer's guess at the name of the Klingon home world. Kling actually makes more sense than Quonos.

Just noticed that Worf's phaser is on his right side--Michael Dorn is left handed.

Glad no one has ever jumped on those floor panels.

Did Worf leave for DS9 before or after Generations? I'm thinking it was after, so he really didn't leave that Enterprise (until Troi--who, along with Wesley, was missing this episode--crashed it).

Another good episode, IMO. The show feels like it's starting to get it's footing. I liked the backstory they developed for Worf, and this episode did a good job layout out the conflict in his life between his Klingon heritage and his human upbringing. I also find it interesting that, at this point, Star Trek VI hadn't happened, and they didn't try to explain in the episode what led to the "peace" between the Klingons and the Federation. Looking over the remainder of the episodes for Season 1, the only one I remember being weak is Skin of Evil...but that changes the series enough that it's still necessary.

2. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    It was after. They started shooting Generations pretty much immediately after wrapping TNG.

Dorn started on DS9 at the start of the fourth season, IMO, which would have been the fall of '95. Generations was released in November of '94.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've never been a strong fan of Klingon-focused episodes. They always seem like they are always a bit ponderous and dull, with the Klingons all dour and serious going on about honor and glory. Given that, this episode was about average for a Klingon episode.

The one thing I felt after watching this week's three episodes was that it seemed a conscious decision at this point in the season to write episodes focusing on specific, non-lead characters. Last episode was Wesley, this episode was Geordi (to some extent) and Worf (mainly), and next episode is Crusher.

The visual acuity transmitter thing was a total waste of time... and really, they're going to be playing around and geeking out with a new technology on a search and rescue mission with the ship about to go kerflooey? Not what I would call believable. Like Tim, this really seemed like bad writing to be wedged into this episode. I'd bet that this episode came in very short, a common problem in these early days. Further, I'd guess that the idea of the visual acuity transmitter was from an episode that was thrown out completely, but they figured that since they were short, they'd pad out the episode with it.

I agree that Worf was incredibly superfluous in these early days. He's a "junior officer" and lurks back by Science 1 on the bridge... but what he does back there isn't quite clear. He's not a communications officer (that role seems to be gone by the 24th century), science officer (don't make me laugh), or security officer (yet).

What was up with the Klingon and Federation logos behind the Klingon captain during the communications? Seems like something you'd put up for a diplomatic flagship... but that was a sorry looking flagship, if that were the case. Plus, what would a flagship be doing out chasing down a couple of loopy Klingons?

4. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I thought about that as well. This first season really fell short when it came to showing communications with other ships. We either got a stark white background (like the first Ferengi episode), or something that wound up looking like a talk show set (the Stargazer episode, as well as this one). Seems like it would have taken 15 minutes to redress the battle bridge set to make it look like the other party was on a ship, rather than in front of a bad backdrop.

5. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Worf just mentioned his foster brother. I remember when "Homeward" (the 7th season ep. featuring the foster brother) aired, I was thinking that it was a bit lame to suddenly introduce him after all those years without ever having mentioned him before. Guess I was wrong!

That footage of the Klingon ship about 30 minutes in was more recycled movie footage, no?

6. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I thought that came up in another later episode as well--the one where Worf's parents come to visit.

As for the Klingon ship, it most likely was recylced footage, but all of the movie footage of that Klingon battlecruiser always showed three of them.

7. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    If you're talking about "Family", I'm fairly certain he was not mentioned there. That one's a favorite of mine and I've seen it several times over the years.

8. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Pretty solid first season episode and a decent start to the Klingon storyline. Yeah, the Geordi-cam thing is lame now. But back then, it probably didn't seem so. Though, I'd agree with Loadstar that it wasn't the time and place to be trying out something like that.

Something minor bugged me about it. They get a communication from Starfleet about a disturbance in the Neutral Zone, yet they seem to get there in minutes. Surely the Enterprise's long range sensors would have detected that (Maybe they weren't set to maximum? :) ). Then, later Picard mentions contact Starfleet and Riker tells him that message will take 48 hours to get there? That don't add up!

9. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    That bugged me as well. Also, while the Klingon ship is still an hour and a half away, travelling at warp speed, Picard has them pull up a visual of it. Those cameras are amazing.

And that reminds me of another gripe. Whenever the captain asks them to put something "on visual", it always comes up as the smallest spec possible in a field of stars. Picard always then has to ask them to magnify. It would have been cool if Picard would have gone on a rant in an episode..."Every freakin' time I want something on the screen, I then have to ask you to magnify it. Can't you make it bigger to start with?"