Star Trek:TNG "Ensigns of Command" (S3E02)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Jan 2, 2012.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Kinda like the last episode (although, according to Memory Alpha, this episode was filmed first), this one is OK, but nothing spectacular. It had some traditional TNG tropes--some environmental phenomenon keeps the transporters from working, Data is without feeling yet keeps showing emotion, a woman gets the hots for Data, probably a few others. The on planet stuff did look pretty decent; they seem to finally be getting the hang of the Planet Hell stage.

I think my favorite part of the episode was just a throw away line--Picard walks into the transporter room, asks how things are progressing, Geordi tells him "About like how you'd expect", and Picard walks out saying "Splendid, splendid." Absolutely no bearing on the episode, but I thought it was hilarious.

Picard and Troi's conversation about language also seemed a little out of place, but it was very foreshadowing of "Darmok".

2. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I totally agree, I loved the moment, and feel it's a glimpse at the fact that the writers are finally past the "development" part of the characters and actually writing personality traits into them. Or should I say, the personalities of the characters are starting to come naturally.

Greg

3. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    The other interesting things about that scene are that it was A) done entirely in one take, from one angle, and B) it was shot from an angle that I don't know if we've ever seen used before. And I think that was perfect--it captured everyone's reaction.

4. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    This is another Melinda Snodgrass (my favorite TNG writer) episode. This is the writer that I heard at a CON state that she thought that "Data's lack of emotion was as much BS as Spock's" and wrote for his character accordingly.

From Memory Alpha, her comment on this episode: "I wanted to take Data one step further in his development as a human being. I wanted to stress him and have him face a situation where logic isn't enough, to show that in order to command you have to have charisma. You have to learn how to wave your dick and hope your dick is bigger than the other guy's."

Indeed. I really liked this episode.

Data, who supposedly has no emotion, learned that when dealing with humans, logic and reason didn't always cut it in getting your point across. Sometimes, to persuade a human to see your point of view, you have to appeal to their emotions.

A huge moment in Data's personal development.

Good writing.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Like Fish Man, I like this episode a lot too.

Not only is it a good Data episode, it's a pretty good one for Picard, especially when he gets the upper hand with the Sheliak.

My roommate and I were laughing out loud when he "hung up" on them and then decided to check out the Dedication Plague while they were hailing back.