Star Trek:TNG "Encounter at Farpoint (Parts 1 and 2)" (OAD 9/28/87)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Aug 19, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    So here's thread number 1. Here's the rules.

I was kinda surprised that I enjoyed watching Farpoint this time around. Most of the cast seemed to click right off the bat. Doctor Crusher and Wesley didn't have much to do, and Troi was really weak (not that she got that much better).

A good chunk of the episode was there just for them to say "Hey, look what we can do!" The saucer separation was totally silly, Dr. McCoy's cameo was groan inducing, and the holodeck was introduced just so they wouldn't have to do it later. Trimmed to portions of the episode that actually mattered to the story, this could have easily been a single ep instead of a double.

But it was a pilot, and a lot of that expository stuff was needed to introduce us to the show. Taking that into consideration, the episode flowed well, and the story was actually pretty good. I wish I could say that for the next few episodes...

2. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I can remember at the time thinking that it was pretty cool to have McCoy on the Enterprise. "Treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."

Watching these from the beginning you get struck by how much Data changes really over the first couple of years. Makes you wonder what kind of boring people Data was with for the first 20 years (or whatever it was) of his life before the Enterprise that kept him so developmentally stunted.

3. rondotcom

rondotcom I Like To Watch

Feb 12, 2005
    BTW HATED (and still do) this version of the Uniform. It got much when it grew a collar in later seasons.

4. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I read somewhere last night that the uniform was changed not because they finally realized how bad they looked, but because the cast was warned that they could develop back problems spending so much time in a spandex unitard.

Personally, I think the season 3+ uniforms were the second best uniforms in all of Star Trek history, barely losing out only to the movie uniforms from Star Trek 2+. The season 1 and 2 uniforms of TNG? Another example of Rodenberry's "vision" of everything being sexy to his old man brain.

5. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    I think Patrick Stewart also mentioned having to pick the costume out of his butt crack on many an occasion also.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There were a few moments that I really liked in this episode that I hadn't really noticed in the past. One was when Yar, on the battle bridge, wanted to fight Q, and Picard quietly dressed her down, but at the same time, added "Do you have any suggestions? I'd really like to hear what you have to say." The way the line was delivered, you could tell that Picard genuinely would be receptive to ideas, if she had any (which he knew she didn't.)

The other was while on Farpoint, Geordi reporting the arrival of the Enterprise. Riker stopped him, asking "is this an official report?" It intrigued me that they included something like that... it wasn't anything essential to the episode, but it was another good character moment.

There were a couple of moments included that just hinted at stuff, like Riker and Troi's "first" meeting on the bridge, or Crusher and Picard's interaction when she brought Wesley onto the bridge. (The Riker/Troi moment was especially interesting after Peter David's novel Imzadi... that novel created a lot of back story behind that moment.)

I had no problem with McCoy's cameo... it was a very good way of passing the torch to this new series, letting long time Trekkies know that this really was Star Trek, and that the actors/characters they knew of as Star Trek were OK with this one. If you want superfluous, it was the wandering through Engineering. Even Roddenberry admitted that the only reason those scenes were included was to make them build that set.

7. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I do remember falling in love with the Enterprise D right away. I think I was 13 or so when the series started, and just thinking it was an awesome ship.

8. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I did as well, but I have to admit that looking back at the early look of the model (even though it was the largest model used in the series), it looks pretty blah. The ship really came into it's own when the did the new model for season (I think) 3 going forward.

9. pteronaut

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    I still think that the entire series under utilized the separate saucer and drive sections.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    That was also roughly when they stopped using the Industrial Light and Magic footage and switched to Image G for their VFX. All the credit in the world to ILM for what they do and have done, but their work for ST:TNG was very constraining.

Edit: I guess Image G was there from day one... but they definitely used the hell out of ILM footage for the first few seasons.

11. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    It's a chicken and the egg thing, but it was never utilized in later seasons because the newer model didn't actually separate. I believe the last time it was used was at the end of Best of Both Worlds, and they actually pulled the old model out to do that.

I like the general idea of the ship being able to separate, but I don't think it was all that useful.

12. pteronaut

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    In 'Generations" it seperated and was crashed into Veridian III, presumably to allow from a more cinematic friendly model to be created for the subsequent TNG movies.

13. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Spoilers dude!

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nope, look carefully, it's the old ILM footage.
    Even though they tried to clean it up some, the loss of resolution is noticeable.

(It's especially egregious during flyby for Picard's log entry after the Klingons have picked up Soren.)

15. pteronaut

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    I meant the old model. They had to use it as destroying the whole ship would involve a cataclismic explosion which would have killed the entire crew of the ship.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ahh, yes.

Well it is true that they wanted a more cinematic friendly model but the Galaxy Class model was never blown up.
    It was returned intact to Paramount after the filming although ILM had painted an "NCC - 1701 - E" on it.

But Berman and Paramount decided to have the Sovereign class model built instead.

17. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: The old uniforms.

I credit my Dad for the best line ever while watching this back in '87 -- "(Troi's) outfit makes her look like she works at McDonald's." ;)

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey - don't knock the Cosmic Cheerleader look. ;)

19. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I totally agree here. Picard was really trigger happy at separating the saucer section, and while I fondly remember how cool being able to locate any crewmember by simply asking the ship where they were, this viewing made me think of how stupid it seemed.

That said, originally I hated McCoy's appearance and the obvious mention of Spock. (Come on, Leonard, was Spock the only Vulcan you ever knew?) Watching it now, I appreciate it a lot more, probably because DeForest Kelley's gone.

Isn't it Intergalactic Cheerleader? :)

Greg

20. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    It always bugged me that Troi never had to wear a regular uniform after this episode. Although it seems like this was addressed (by her being told to get into uniform) in the "There are 4 lights!" episode.