Star Trek:TNG "Contagion" (S2E11)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DougF, Nov 14, 2011.

1. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm assuming doom is busy this week, so I'll start these up.

The scene where Wesley goes to Picard's ready room to ask about the Iconians was awful. Lines like "Sounds like magic" should have gone to a 10-year-old, not the boy genius, acting Ensign. The last part of that, where he talks about the Yamato crew dying redeems it a tad.

Outside of that, I don't have any real problems with this one and think it's pretty decent. Though, I do think the ending is a stretch. That entire facility could be destroyed simply by launching a probe and closing the launch bay doors? Hell, a janitor could have done that by accident while dusting. :)

2. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Thanks, Doug--this weekend was really busy, but I hope to watch this week's eps in the next couple of days.

Feel free to start up the other thread for the week, too.

3. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Now I know why the Iconians are extinct!

:D

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was disappointed we didn't see more scenes on the Yamato. I know in theory we had quite a few scenes on the Yamato in "Where Silence Has Lease," but that was more of a simulation from Nagilum, not the real Yamato. I liked that they were able to modify the segment of their bridge to look a little different, with a little different color scheme.

I liked the introduction of the almost mythological Iconians. I don't know that they ever used them again on the TV series, but it was a major plot point in a series of novels.

Interesting that Caroline Seymour, who played the Romulan captain in this episode, would appear again much later in another episode as a completely different Romulan captain.

5. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Damn script kiddies, ruining everything for everyone. The poor captain of the Yamato clicked the "You wouldn't believe what this girl posted to her Facebook wall!" link.

Really, Mr. Medical Person? Captain Picard knew what a splint was and could put one on Dr. Crusher on an alien planet, yet you don't, and consider it "not practicing medicine"? YOU'RE FIRED!

City on the Edge of The Neutral Zone.

Greg

6. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    LOL on both accounts. :)

Pretty strong episode. I think the only real weak point was the conversation between Wesley and Picard, which was obviously done not for the characters but to bring the viewers up to speed on the Iconians. Also the scene in Sickbay that Greg referenced.

Well, I guess I have to amend that--the resolution bugged me a little as well. Not the resolution itself, which made perfect sense, but the fact that nobody thought about it bugs me. The first thing I thought when they realized it was a computer "virus" was "wipe and reimage it".

7. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    To be fair, they probably havn't used Windows in centuries. They're doubtless rusty dealing with viruses. ;)

8. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    [​IMG]

9. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    What episode was that shot taken from?

(Yes, I know it's been "modified" :) )

10. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    That's a good question! My Google-fu isn't working today.

Greg

11. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
  12. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Good find. I'm not going to watch the entire thing right now (one of the things I'm looking forward to is that there are episodes in seasons 5-7 that I have never seen, and I think this might be one of them), but even just watching a few minutes, it's immediately noticeable how good everyone looks in the later uniforms. So much more professional.