Star Trek:TNG "Code of Honor" (OAD 10/12/87)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Aug 19, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Episode 3. Haven't seen this one yet either, but talk away. I'll post threads for the next three next weekend.

Edit: OK, posting thoughts in real time on this one.

Everybody in the episode seems to have mastered the art of standing at a slight diagonal.

They've got untraceable transporters, but they are technologically inferior?

After Riker, Troi, and Data proceed to beat Picard and the viewers about all of the customs (and force Picard to look like a wuss), Riker makes a scene about Picard going down to the planet to maintain those customs?

How does the Prime Directive play into dealing with a society that is just about as advanced as Starfleet? I'm sure there are other rules that prevent a starship from performing a military action on a civilization.

If it were cold enough in that ship to justify all of Wesley's thick sweaters, you'd think those crappy uniforms would be looking pretty nipply.

Includiling the kidleneys?

One thing that Wil Wheaton mentioned is that some of the attempts to "empower" women at the early part of the series had the reverse affect. This episode is definitely a good example. The women own the land...but they seem only focused on getting their man.

With all the near nudity in the first season, they couldn't have made the chick cage match a bikini mud wrestling match? Although I don't know how Rick James would look in a bikini.

Very Star Trek-y resolution.

Heh, she said "Number 2".

Another episode better than I remember. I'm surprised that I'm enjoying these.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    IIRC, this was hardly worth watching. (FWIW, I'm a huge Trek fan and liked TNG a lot.)

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This one wasn't nearly as bad as "The Naked Now." There were definite flaws, that's for sure, including a more than slight resemblance to another TOS episode (this time "Amok Time"). Plus, I'm with Wil Wheaton - why the heck did the writers think it was a good idea to have Wesley pay a visit to the bridge in the middle of a crisis?

I did like that the characters were starting to find themselves a little bit. Troi was less "I sense <insert emotion here>" and started to step into her role as a sort of diplomatic adviser to the captain, and Data already started to tone down the babbling. Geordi, of course, still seems to have absolutely no point on the show... he was incredibly superfluous in this episode.

4. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Geordi did seem to be the fifth wheel of the cast. At least Worf had the "I'm a Klingon in Starfleet" angle--Geordi had nothing but his visor, and that was always used in ways that a tricorder could have easily been used.

I thought his move to Engineering in later seasons was the best thing that ever happened to the character.

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    And, IIRC, my first "OOPS" detection of the series.
    Before the fight, somebody says that if Yareena dies, Lutan gets her wealth - and the whole ending is based on the fact that "she died," yet they make it look like Yareena keeps everything after all.

6. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think this is the first true stinker of the series. Just all-around terrible.