Star Trek:TNG: Angel One (S1E14)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Sep 16, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    OAD 1/25/1988

I remember this one being as bad as Justice. We'll see.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The A plot was a cliched and chauvinistic mess. I don't know if the writers thought they could avoid that or if they were being creative and all when they flipped the gender stereotypes around, but either way it didn't work at all.

The B plot, getting everyone sick, was just complete episode filler... or possibly an excuse to deny a sick day to one of the cast. "NO, you can't have off! We'll.. wait, we'll write you being sick into the episode! That's it!"

Absolutely no reason to want to watch this one again.

3. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Won't watch until Monday, but I already know this one isn't too good.

Look for Patricia McPherson (Bonnie on "Knight Rider") as a guest star in this one.

4. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    We got lots of women, MacGuyver, the Captain and First Officer shirtless, and a Klingon sneeze--how could this episode go wrong?

I do have to say that this episode wasn't quite as bad as I remember. I do remember my parents almost turning it off during the perfume scene (which was terrible--again, Data is oblivious for no apparent reason) because of all the talk about sex. I just found it cringeworthy now, especially with the head chick throwing herself at Riker.

Again, Loadstar nailed the issue with the main storyline--in an attempt to try to reverse gender roles, they practically made a statement that women should be subservient to men. Two strong males show up (Ramsey and Riker), and the leaders of the planet practically throw themselves at them. It could have been an interesting story of equality, but it instead turned into the exact opposite.

I thought the B plot was a little weird, but not too bad. It is really handy that the Doctor was apparently the only person on the ship not to get sick, even when she inhaled the virus and noted her discovery. And did anyone else get a little uncomfortable with how much she was rubbing Picard's naked chest?

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heh - I was thinking the same thing, that Ramsey looked a bit like Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver. (It wasn't, BTW.)

6. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Just finished and I feel the same. I was expecting worse, though it's still not very good. It helps that I like the basic story concept of a society dominated by females.

The B plot wasn't horrible, just not very good.

And holographic snow coming off the holodeck and hitting the captain? That has always bugged me.

7. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    That didn't really bug me--if you go swimming in the holodeck (just as an example), you'll come out wet. The wetness isn't simulated. Same thing with the snow.

I'm still wondering how the virus came off the holodeck, though (as it seemed to be related to the snowball).

8. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Yeah, but if you are wet it's because there is water on you. If that water is holographic, it should not be able to leave the holodeck, right?

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The general explanation that I've heard is that the holodeck combines the technologies of the replicator and holographic projection. Simple substances, such as water, are replicated, while more complex items are all holographic projections.

For instance, in other episodes, we've seen people take other objects out of the holodeck, such as paper (Elementary, Dear Data).

10. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    It's that fine line between simulation and creation. I have no problem with the holodeck "creating" things like snow and water (and dirt, and even things like doors and objects). This is explained away as the holodeck having two modes of simulation--the first is what we might have seen here, as well as in the premiere. The environment is a fixed size, and the objects within the environment are replicated, not simply holographic projections. Anything on the holodeck in this mode can be removed.

The other option is a full holographic simulation, where the environment can be any size. This is usually when we'll see simulated people in the holodeck, and more "realistic" environments. In this mode, some items might be replicated, while others are holographic projections with simulated mass via force fields or some other magic. These items don't exist, so they can't leave the holodeck.