1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek: Picard The Next Chapter?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by vertigo235, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Aug 4, 2018 #1 of 60
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Interesting...

2. Aug 4, 2018 #2 of 60
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Interesting indeed.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Aug 4, 2018 #3 of 60
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Make it so!

tim1724, Peter000 and lalouque like this.
  4. Aug 4, 2018 #4 of 60
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]

stellie93 likes this.
  5. Aug 4, 2018 #5 of 60
    Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I'm still waiting for Season 1 to be picked up by Netflix or Amazon. I'm too cheap to buy another streaming service. Two is enough.

jsmeeker likes this.
  6. Aug 4, 2018 #6 of 60
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Next Chapter, retirement?

[​IMG]

…but I'm sure we'll see Admiral Picard.

7. Aug 4, 2018 #7 of 60
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    [​IMG]

stellie93, Peter000, Regina and 2 others like this.
  8. Aug 4, 2018 #8 of 60
    pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I suspect you'll be waiting a very long time. It seems clear that we have traded the days of 240 channels of cable where you only watch 40 of them and half of those only for 1 show for 240 streaming services where you only watch 40 of them and half those only for 1 show.

And it'll cost more and have lower quality video and audio.

Just so I'm somewhat I'm topic, I'm 100% here for this. I'll probably do what I did for Discovery. Get All Access for 1 month after the season is done, download it using PlayOn, and then watch it after.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2018 #9 of 60
    oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm glad they are making this, but I'm as out of this as I'm out for Discovery. Maybe in a few years when they have four Star Trek shows going with the oldest having at least three seasons, it'll be worth it to me. More people that subscribing now will help that. Or, if I can't use my Tivo with cable anymore, then it'll be an easy decision.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I've found the quality of CBS AA to be just fine. Netflix and Hulu are great too. If I run into anything sub-par it's because it's older and at SD.

But you're right about the cost.

11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    True. CBS basically made Discovery to help them launch their streaming service here in the US. Netflix and Amazon are their competitors. As long as CBS wants to be in the streaming game, no other service ever will get the show here.

tim1724 likes this.
  12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

lalouque likes this.
  13. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I’m a little confused as to where this will go. Is he behind a desk, high up in the admiralty, (which I thought would never happen), handing out assignments to younger captains, and telling them how to carry them out?

Is he out of Star Fleet and back to his first love, archaeology, digging up alien artifacts and in his spare time, rescuing inhabitants from injustice? (Have phaser-will travel).

Or, is he on a beach on Binary 5, writing his memoirs, and we see re-enactments with a younger Picard?

Jean-Luc without a starship just doesn’t hold that much appeal for me.

14. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Or, it'll get to the point where some will say.

"Hey, anyone want to share their CBS AA for a share of my Netflix account?"

I'm looking forward to anything Star Trek. Hope it's good.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I’m hoping they have smart people who are Trek fans who have been thinking about this. Just off the top of my head, and as a fan (but not claiming to be smart :)):

First episode shows there’s some big crisis in Starfleet. Maybe it’s been hijacked/infiltrated by enemies. We then switch to Picard, currently enjoying a peaceful life as a farmer or archeologist. But the Starfleet crisis forces him to give up his peaceful retirement, and he becomes the leader of a small ragtag rebel group, intent on rooting out the bad guys at Starfleet. Obviously he’ll have access to ships on occasion.

16. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, it’s a start. Somewhat reminiscent of TNG S1. But, Stewart is in his late 70s isn’t he? I’m sure he’s kept himself camera-ready, but he might be a little on the back side of middle age to really do any action work.

He’d probably have to farm out the heavy duty away team work to the younger guys. Not that he hasn’t before.

I’ll watch at least the first few eps, since I already have AA, but it really has to have some kind of hook to keep me interested.

Maybe a new Seven of Nine. Something along those lines.

17. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Is there anything to prevent rotating between services to binge their content? For example:
    • January = CBS, binge everything you want
    • February = NetFlix, binge everything you want
    • March = Showtime, binge everything you want
    • April = HBO, binge everything you want
    ...and then start over again? The list can be for however many services that have shows you want to watch. You could even rotate two or more at a time, or for two or more months at a time.

I know NetFlix even keeps your information (i.e. queues and such) when you quit, so they're there if you decide to join up again. Or you could just suspend your membership instead of cancelling it?

I don't have any experience with the others.

Is there any reason you would have to belong to all of the all of the time to get all of their content?

18. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    No problem, because they don't have long term contracts, IIRC.

19. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    They said somewhere that there aren't any scripts yet, and it sounds like Stewart is expecting to have creative input in the initial development. Given that Sir Patrick is a fairly serious actor, I would expect that whatever comes out of this will at least be an interesting character study, not a schlocky cash-grab. Whether or not it will be "Trek" enough for fans is another question.

stellie93 likes this.
  20. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    I'm also wondering if the following will make an appearance...

- Irumodic Syndrome (yeah, yeah, it was in the anti-time future)
    - Q
    - Borg

Regardless, I am intrigued for sure. It may the thing to get me to do AA, even if I wait and binge/trial or DL.

ke3ju likes this.