Star Trek: Picard - S1E5 - 2/20/2020 - "Stardust City Rag" - (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Balzer, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Surprised I haven't seen a thread started yet. So here it is. What did you all think? :)

Nice callback to TOS with the drink Tranya. There were one or two other "easter eggs" but can't recall them right now. Maybe have a more comments after I watch it again.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Hiring an actor who looked so remarkably like a young Marina Sirtis to play the villain was a bit startling...

lalouque, martinp13, Balzer and 4 others like this.
  3. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    ... and confusing. I thought we had a flash back episode with Deanna Troi for a second or so. Overall, a meh episode. JL (hate the nickname) going undercover with an eye patch is stupid. Murdering Maddox by turning off the EMH without setting off alerts to the rest of the ship was dumb.

LlamaLarry, Family, Tony_T and 4 others like this.
  4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    That got to me too. Even if no alarms are set off the logs are still going to show what happened

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    lalouque and Balzer like this.
  5. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I was amazed at how much she looked like Marian Sirtis.

Overall I liked this episode. It was a lot of fun. Some silliness like Picard taking on the outrageous French accent. Freecloud looked like a cross between Blade Runner and Tron Legacy to me. Some interesting things there.

I think the discussion of Picard's and Seven's humanity was great.

There were a lot of Easter eggs that I caught.
    2 references to Quark, 1st the Quark Bar in Freecloud, and 2nd Mr. Quark of Ferenginar.
    Mr. Mot the Bolian barber from TNG has either relocated to Freecloud or has a franchise there.
    The Breen being referenced
    Noonian Soong being referenced

6. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    As soon as they said the word "Tranya", my husband and I turned to each other and said "I hope you relish it as much as I". :D

OrangeCrush, lalouque, Balzer and 3 others like this.
  7. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Am I alone in thinking that the scene where the villain is carving up Icheb was awfully dark for Star Trek?

OrangeCrush, cwerdna and pgogborn like this.
  8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Dark for network TV perhaps, but not a streaming service where pretty much anything goes.

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm out. We're halfway thru the season and it's a yawner.

10. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

The EMH diagnosed that she had a "psychiatric emergency", she said she had to "atone". At one level no surprise at what she did and it remains to be seen how quickly what she did is discovered.

But I wonder to what extent an EMH treating a patient for a psychiatric emergency is bound by rules of patient confidentiality, if it will have a memory of what happened next time activated.

Read more: Star Trek: Picard (2020) s01e05 Episode Script | SS

11. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I really really liked the chemistry between Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan in this episode. It’s like they had been on the same show for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwerdna likes this.
  12. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    I miss my utopian Trek ... This version is like dime a dozen on TV, and some of them (like The Expanse, Westworld) do it much better.

Some thoughts ...
    Does Picard's disguise with eye patch and french accent have any meaning on another planet? This seems unnecessary silly.

That the EMH didn't intervene when patient was dying is weird, even if it was dismissed. Of course the top artificial intelligence scientist of the federation can likely hack EMH and alter the logs after the fact.

Raffi and her son. Maybe this would work if they developed something ... Like her constantly talking about her family. As it was shown there was really nothing worth emotional investment here.

And what a waste, burning a stunning Marina Sirtis lookalike for this episode. I kept wondering if it wasn't someone related to Troi family.

Killing Icheb ... How exactly did 7 of 9 diagnose that he's dying? And if he's in pain, I'm sure dystopian Trek has some good drugs to take care of that. This seemed a bit rash and out of character for ST in general.

Scenes with 7 of 9 and Picard were fantastic thought. The only saving grace of this episode for me.

Balzer likes this.
  13. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I keep forgetting that it shows up only on streaming services because I live in the one country where its on TV. Granted, it's on a cable channel and not network TV, but still.

14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Picard was disguised as a flamboyant 'facer. They have flamboyance on lots of planets.

15. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    The characters of Maddox and Icheb were both recast. I'd like to know more about that. Were the original actors unavailable? Were they never a consideration?

16. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Google is my friend. A search on Manu intiraymi shows why he was likely not asked back.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I guess I couldn't find it . . . .

LlamaLarry likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    What, other planets don't get the intergalactic Internet? ;)

19. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I was trying not to derail the thread (when has that ever happened at TCF? :D), but google "manu intiraymi kevin spacey".

LlamaLarry and Mikeguy like this.
  20. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Brian Brophy, the actor who originally played Bruce Maddox is the Theatre Director at Caltech but hasn't otherwise done much credited acting in recent years. He might've just been unavailable with his other obligations or otherwise declined to reprise the role after so much time had passed.

You saw the flap about what Manu Initrami said to Anthony Rapp abound the Kevin Spacey allegations, and while he eventually apologized the bridge may already have been burned. Or it could be legitimate scheduling issues.

Even with smaller episode orders, TV has a tight production schedule. They have to film when all the people and pieces are in place and if any actors outside of major characters can't make it, they have to go with an alternate choice.