Star Trek: Lower Decks - CBS All Access - Season 1 full thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Turtleboy, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Aug 7, 2020 #1 of 31
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Advertisements

I watched the first ep. It has promise. Even though a cartoon, certainly not a kids show. I suspect a lot of die hard trekkies aren’t going to like it though.

2. Aug 7, 2020 #2 of 31
    jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I thought it was pretty good. Will definitely continue watching.

3. Aug 8, 2020 #3 of 31
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Definitely enjoying it - it's the real world version of Star Trek - because you know there are bound to be slackers and people goofing off on the decks you don't see.

I'd like to say it was Star Trek: The Orville in premise - a look at what really happens when the cameras are turned off on a starship...

4. Aug 8, 2020 #4 of 31
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    It wasn't bad. It wasn't great...but it wasn't bad. I'd agree that it has promise. Honestly, it felt more like Star Trek than either Discovery or Picard.

5. Aug 8, 2020 #5 of 31
    Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...

Advertisements

I liked it. I also like Rick and Morty and although its not quite as gross as R&M its a little similar but just based in the Star Trek world.

6. Aug 8, 2020 #6 of 31
    betamax

betamax You say you want a revolution? TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Viva Las Vegas
    I enjoyed it. Nothing too serious and a fun story about non-bridge personnel. I'm just glad I'm not on a second contact team. ;)

7. Aug 8, 2020 #7 of 31
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I did enjoy the first episode -- I'm sure it helps that I like both "Star Trek" and "Rick & Morty," which probably defines their target audience.

I just hope it's not the same basic plot for every episode (i.e., something goes wrong, the lower decks people inadvertently save the day, and wind up getting little or no credit).

8. Aug 8, 2020 #8 of 31
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    As I mentioned in the ST: Picard S01E01 thread, I noticed that Picard, unlike all previous Star Trek shows, said that it was "based on Star Trek: The Next Generation, created by Gene Roddenberry". I was surprised that Lower Decks didn't say the same thing; instead it just said that it was "based on Star Trek, created by Gene Roddenberry". This show seemed clearly to be based on TNG. I wonder why they went back to saying that it was based on TOS...

9. Aug 8, 2020 #9 of 31
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    While it was definitely TNG timeframe or later, how was it based on TNG specifically? Picard was because it was Picard. I took this to mean it was just based on the entire Star Trek line.

ajwees41 likes this.
  10. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    The first 10 minutes or so was mandatory character introduction and setup. Slow, but necessary.

Then it went R&M style real damn fast, I think I got whiplash. I liked it. ;)

11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    A little too fast paced, but overall I liked it.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If I wanted to watch a comedy version of Star Trek, I'd watch the Orville.

Ok, that was my first thought when this was first announced.
    As for the first episode, it's a bit hyperkinetic for my tastes but it's not terrible.
    (Is this because I haven't watched Rick & Morty?)

We'll see.

BTW, the ship and shuttle names all appear to be California locations.

13. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Possibly. I have no idea what your expectations might have been. Possibly more like the first 15 minutes, than the last 15 minutes?

As a R&M fan, the last 15 minutes were, well, *very* familiar, even slightly toned *down*. ;)

Also, go watch Rick and Morty.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    While I don't have a lot of faith in Kurtzman and CBS, I had no expectations going in.
    With all the Rick and Morty references in this thread, I assumed that Lower Decks is in a similar style to Rick and Morty.

IMDB tells me that Mike McMahan was a producer on Rick and Morty so that factors into this assessment as well.

Upon reflection, some of the hyperkinetisism reminds me of the Kricfalusi episodes of Ren and Stimpy and I had to make sure that I was in the right frame of mind to watch those.

15. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ensign Mariner was born in Modesto, just like George Lucas. So we've even got a "Star Wars" connection.

16. kdmorse

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    So is lower decks released, every Thursday? ie, is it like Discovery, where it was actually released at something like 3am eastern, and those of us that stayed up long enough could watch it on Wednesday night? Not that I'll likely do that for Lower decks, but who knows when I'll be up...

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yes, it's every Thursday. Don't know the exact time.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    According to Memory Alpha, the Cerritos is a California class ship.
    The shuttles were named after California National Parks.
    (I caught the Joshua Tree, Redwood, and Death Valley shuttles. I missed the Yosemite one.)

I wonder if the Cerritos' sister ships are named along the lines USS Fresno, USS Stanton, USS Antioch, USS Tulare, USS Blythe, or USS Chico.

19. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I liked the first episode. I’ll keep watching.

20. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    We get them at 6PM Pacific on TV. I somehow watched through the credits, and it's apparently a local production (Vancouver Canada). A big surprise since Star Trek was almost exclusively Hollywood productions (and I'm sure there are plenty of animation studios in Hollywood as well).

Now I have to watch just to support local industry