Star Trek: Discovery - S3 E9 "Terra Firma" part 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Dec 10, 2020.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Was cool to see more of an expansion of what went in the evil parallel universe.

One review I read last night (need to find it) mentioned that Airiam was in the mirror universe but w/o her cybernetic implants. Was surprised to see Landry back. Since they kept mentioning Lorca, will we see him this season?

At work, some people are thinking that Carl's a Q.

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That was the first thing that popped into my head, though there wasn’t the normal flash when one appears.

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    A Q's the obvious answer, so it's probably wrong. ;)

4. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I enjoyed it even though it was a bit predictable. Georgiou has changed in ways she doesn't yet realize due to her exposure to the prime universe and the way things are. I also think that She's going to take on the same kind of role as Mirror Spock did TOS.

I think this how Michelle Yeoh gets back to the original timeline for the Section 31 show.

I also thought Carl was Q. Not all Q appearances had the flash effect, most did, but not all, and besides they weren't looking at him when he appeared. they turned around and there he was.

5. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB

Advertisements

I figured he was either Q or Mister Mxyzptlk.

Snappa77 and Saturn_V like this.
  6. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

It could be an obvious misdirection, perhaps there are multiple Carl's in his universe, but if Q is the obvious answer I think the moniker would have been C not Carl.

You have reminded me of my favourite quote from this episode:
    “And you're asking the wrong questions.”
    -- Carl
    Which in turn reminds me of Alice Through the Looking Glass*.

and Carl holding his watch reminds me of the White Rabbit and the rabbit hole in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

*I checked, the original quote seems to be
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
    As per Wikipedia "it features the quest undertaken by several characters to uncover the secret of a mysterious device named the "Schwarzgerät" ("black device"),

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Some stuff I read, in addition to suggesting Carl as a Q, could he be part of The Caretaker, or even from a mini Nexxus like thing. My money is on a Q and this episode was just C showing Mirror Georgiou what he wanted. Sets up the Section 31 series potentially.

Also, if it is not a Q/Nexxus kind of thing then Mirror Georgious might stop Lorca from his coup which would sort of mess up S1's storyline. My head generally hurts from time travel talk but I think Q allows it all to work better, perhaps?

8. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Carl is Wesley Crusher.

smbaker and cwerdna like this.
  9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Q, Wesley Crusher...same basic concept.

cwerdna and ej42137 like this.
  10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Georgiou already killed Mirror Stamets and we know he survived until Lorca brought the USS Discovery into the Mirror Universe so that already changed.

Not sure where they're going with here but it is only part one.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was assuming that the other side of the door isn't the real world (or any real world)...that this is a kind of vision-quest for Georgiou to find the key to fixing her.

cwerdna likes this.
  12. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Although in addition to fixing herself Georgiou is also on a quest to fix her Burnham and in order to do that for real the other side of the door has to be real world 900+ years ago.

However, I agree with you, the other side of the door isn't real world.

I think the door could be a Section 31 device to interrogate, security clear, fix Georgiou for her new Section 31 career.

It took me by surprise that Tilly gave the fascist a hug but it is less surprising if Georgiou isn't going to return to Disco and is going straight to Section 31.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's something SHE wants, but they literally went there to figure out how to fix HER.

14. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    My first thought was that this planet was a Talos IV type of place. Some of the things Carl said didn't quite line up with that, but that could be to throw us off.

Then a friend suggested the Guardian of Forever. Spock said it was a gateway to different time and dimensions. Talk about throwback. :)

15. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Though Carl and his door don't have much resemblance to a stone circle.

My 1st thought on seeing the doorway in the snow was Stephen King's Dark Tower series has entered the ST universe. I was half expecting to see Roland on the beach battling lobstracities.

16. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I sure wouldn't make it THAT obvious to the viewers. :)

17. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'm going with the guardian theory, due to certain clues like the newspaper.

Maybe a guardian portal is like a Tardis, it can look how it wants to look, including manifesting an avatar.

I didn't get a Q vibe at all.

pgogborn and martinp13 like this.
  18. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Does anyone know what time on Thursday the Discovery episodes usually drop on the CBS All Access site? It used to be 7 or 8 pm.

19. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I thought the official answer was midnight (as in Wednesday night) Pacific Time, resulting in them usually being available in the 3am range Thursday morning eastern time. I personally normally watch it in the 1-2pm range on Thursdays, I don't know that I've ever waited until Thursday evening.

20. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Season 1 they thought they were still a "scheduled" show. :)