Star Trek: Discovery - S3 E6 "Scavengers"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pgogborn, Nov 20, 2020.

1. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Advertisements

Iconic Doctor Who episode titled 42 - the Doctor only has 42 minutes to save Martha and the ship's crew.

Burnham saves Book and the slaves:
    Book "You see that clock? 43 minutes until the shift change. Then I'm in one of those ships up top for a week. There's no time"
    Burnham "43 minutes is plenty of time"

2. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I've been rewatching DS9, and that camp was too close to the one on Bajor that Gul Dukat claimed to not know anything about in Season 2. They even had a token Bajoran here. :p

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Will be interesting to learn more about Georgiou’s flashbacks and her medical issue.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I wonder if they're even flashbacks. She's from the alternate universe, of which the link between this and that has been severed. She could be the new link.

martinp13 likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

I'm guessing that those who didn't watch DS9 wouldn't get the self-sealing stem bolts reference.

martinp13, jeetkunedo and jasrub like this.
  6. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    A lot of DS9 references this season. I missed USS Nog a couple of eps back. I keep wanting to see Jem'Hadar walk through a scene.

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I missed that one! I must not have been paying close enough attention.

8. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    Is it her own blood or her son's blood on Georgiou’s hands?

And who will/should be the new Number One?

9. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Ensign Tilly gets a super promotion.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    If they go by rank then Cmdr. Nhan (if she comes back), Cmdr. Jett Reno, or Lt. Cmdr. Paul Stamets. I'm not sure of the rank of Georgiou but that probably won't happen. But I really don't think they will take any of the current crew from their current duties. I'm guessing a new officer from Starfleet, maybe they promote Lt. Audrey Willa.

11. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002
    When she gave reasons to Saru for turning Burnham into the Admiral Saru said she was astute and when she added for the record I might've done the same thing in her shoes Saru said for the record I do not believe you would have.
    Adira has already replaced her as the child prodigy of the Spore Drive section.
    She has previous experience as a Captain and being Number One could give an extra interesting tension to her already tense relationship with Georgiou.

I do not think Cmdr. Nhan will come back which creates a Chief of Security vacancy. Saru could ask the Admiral to transfer his Chief of Security to Discovery as a way of rebuilding trust with the Admiral.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I thought this was a great episode. Especially loved the scene with Stammets, Adira, and Gray. Well done.

Question, is the pers/being talked about on the planet, Osira or Losira? If Losira, there's potentially some Trek history there: Losira (hologram)

And if it were Osira, that could involve some weird connection: Osira - Wikipedia

13. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I love me some Ensign Tilly but I think she got a replicator promotion between seasons and made the most of it.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I just noticed that the number of episodes per season keeps going down...15 in season 1, 14 in 2, 13 in 3.

So I guess by the time they get to season 15, there will be only one episode...

cwerdna likes this.
  15. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Except no Star Trek series has ran for more than 7 seasons.

16. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

Yay! Michelle Yeoh makes the BBC's 100 of the most inspiring and influential women of 2020 list.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, maybe Discovery doesn't suck as much as all the previous shows! :D

18. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Closed captioning is consistently showing Ossyra.

19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That was, as explained at the time of cancellation of TNG, as being due to the economics of syndication. Things have changed.

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The good: Discovery gets some needed upgrades although the "programmable matter nacelle struts" had me rolling the eyes some.
    The scene with Stamets and Adira in the mess hall. Very nice. I wasn't sure that Paul had that in him when the character was first introduced but he did very well here.

The bad: Burnham blatantly goes rogue and pretty much screws over Saru in the process.
    I have very little sympathy for Burnham here. It would have been one thing if she approached Saru about taking "some leave" to do the rescue but she just took off with Georgiou without telling anyone.
    Saru was absolutely within his rights to rake her over the coals for this stunt.

I know Burnham has had a tough year but this whole "mopey/confusion/lost" thing she's doing is wearing pretty thin with me.

Also, Burnham.
    The Burn.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020