Star Trek: Discovery - S3 E2 "Far From Home"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Oct 27, 2020.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

That weapon used by Zareh or one of the bad guys was pretty crazy. I liked the fight sequence and the role they gave Michelle Yeoh.

Will be interesting to learn more about The Burn and the technology that exists in this century.

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I've been enjoying it so far. I don't mind that it's radically different than, say, ST:TNG or friends. And restoring Federation/Starfleet ideals to a broken down universe could make for a good story. And I'm kinda amused that we went from Discovery being a seemingly overly advanced starship for the time it was supposed to be in - which required some contortionist plots to explain - to Discovery being a ancient relic in all ways but one.

I'm going to continue to assume The Burn is based on weaponized Omega particles run amok until proven otherwise. Sure, we've seen some other subspace damaging weapons/effects that certainly could have been enhanced over 700 years, but Omega's the obvious candidate. (And would not likely have been known to anyone in Discovery's original timeline).

But I do look forward to new episodes on Thursdays.

3. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Michelle Yeoh is my girl. I can’t say enough good about her role in this series.

Loving Ronnie Rowe also.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Well, those first two episodes had to happen..what happened to MIcheal and what happened to Discovery. They are once again united so I look at ep3 as the real first episode in what, 3500ad?

5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

The year is 3188.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Really? Kirk and the gang are in the 2200s? I guess that's right as they always refer to the 23rd century.

7. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Michael arrived in 3188 and Discovery a year later so it's 3189.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, she could have been rounding off, and she arrived in January and they in December... :D

9. Nov 2, 2020 #9 of 19
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    At least they didn't drag out the "reunion". I was afraid they would spend 1/2 the season in the search between Michael and Discovery.

10. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I suspect that was the original plan, but the writers realized there was far more opportunity doing the "fish out of water" trope than the search.

But I'm sure we'll have plenty of flashbacks of the search, but there's so much more interesting things to explore and so many questions to answer so why waste all that time on a search. Star Trek was alsoways more about asking questions and positing hypothetical scenarios.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "Parasitic Ice".
    Uhm ok.

I did like Jake Weber here but why is Tilly still cowering from (Empress) Georgiou like that?
    Also, do we need all the snark from Georgiou, Reno, and (usually) Stamets.

Saru is still the only character I really like here.

12. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I can’t get enough of Georgiou. She snark all she wants as long as she gives me ample Couching Tiger throwbacks. She is my favorite in the series.

I’m also loving the new eye candy with whom Michael has a platonic relationship and his fat cat. Hopes he shows up often.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My concern is that with three characters that each have ample amounts of snark, we may be headed for a snark overload.

Stamets: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Reno: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Stamets: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Georgiou: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Reno: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Stamets: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Georgiou: Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark. Snark.

Culber: Will you three just knock it off with all the snark?

Georgiou stabs Culber.

Tilly: What the f....!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the other thing was that watching Discovery crash land made me think that someone had recently watched Voyager's "Timeless".
    (Which also featured Quantum Slipstream drive.)

14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I do not know if you are aware of this but last I heard she was going to be the lead in a Section 31 spin off series.

Beryl likes this.
  15. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Cool.

16. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Does that mean she gets pulled back into the "past" or remain in the "future"? If the latter, does this mean she has to search for the missing Section 31 next season?

17. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    My thought (which is purely my own) is that Section 31 never went away, and she'll go off and do Section 31 things with David Cronenberg. That whole segment seemed like a pilot to me.

18. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'd watch that.

19. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Because she is one of the smartest Discovery crew.
    And because she has seen the Alternative Universe closer than nearly every other crew member.