Star Trek: Discovery - S3 E10 "Terra Firma" part 2

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Dec 17, 2020.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Wow! Besides the guesses about Q, I had seen guess on the net about the Guardian of Forever.

So, is she sent back for her Section 31 spinoff?

That was interesting with the sphere of fireflies. I remember seeing that in trailer or preview and thought it was a spacesuit helmet.

aaronwt likes this.
  2. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I think that was the intention when the episode was conceived but time marches on, she has now got Marvel and Avatar franchise roles, so perhaps no Section 31 spin off.

3. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    At the end of the episode I realized that the fireflies signaled to Michael that she had broken Philippa. That was a really well done episode. I know most people hate the Mirror Universe, but I love their time over there. The actors get to play completely different roles. :) I did appreciate that they left Philippa's story open-ended, and they can use her in whatever capacity they want. Seeing her as a Special Guest Star every week meant that you knew she was going away "permanently" from the current story.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Hmmm... good point about the fireflies.

As for different roles, yes, the actors that were in one of the recent Ready Room panels (mostly bridge crew) said the same thing. They liked being able to act totally different than their Prime universe characters and they themselves might act, but in a safe space.

That's also a good point about leaving it open-ended.

pgogborn: Oh! Interesting. I didn't know Michelle Yeoh had gotten some other parts. I had to look those up since I don't follow those franchises nor what she's been picked up for. Good to hear that she's still in demand as an actress.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

So correct me if I am wrong but Carl was a Q, right? He had the finger snap for traveling, the snarky attitude. Also, in some reading I had done the race that built the Guardian may have been what became the Q continuum, right?

Anyways, great episode and a great send off for Michelle Y! Onward to whatever....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Beryl likes this.
  6. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I don't think Carl was Q, which surprised me. He/it was the Guardian of Forever as seen in the TOS episode City on the Edge of Forever, written by Harlan Ellison and one of the best Trek episodes ever.

This was a good ep and a good send off for Michelle Yeoh. I know Section 31 series is a go, and ought to be interesting as to what point in Trek history they place it.

I'd not heard the theory about the connection between the Guardian and Q, where did you come across it?

aaronwt likes this.
  7. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    That comes from a couple of non-canon books centered around the Q. It was a cute inference that probably was allowed to be there because it would never intersect with anything canon.

If we restrict ourselves to normal canon, the Guardian is just as you imagine it, a strange mysterious unique thing that just.. exists... and always has, and always will...

8. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Yeah, agreed. It just felt like his attitude and finger snaps were very much like Q. But yes, fantastic episode and great send off for Georgiou!

This is the article I had read which references the book:

Guardian of Forever

aaronwt likes this.
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Did TOS ever mention the planet they were orbiting above the Guardian of Forever? Just wondering if we were given a hint before the end of the episode. Great last line from the original...."Let's get the hell outta here".

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It wouldn't have been a hint, since the Guardian said it had moved during the Temporal Wars (to stop people from using it to change time).

martinp13, aaronwt and LlamaLarry like this.
  11. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I think alternate universe stories can be fun, but I don't like the portrayal of an alternate in Star Trek going all the way back.

Timelines split, however long ago... 25 years, 50 years, 100 years. And yet, our main characters still met, still interact, and in most cases, are still aboard the same ships. DS9 was the worst one of these, Jadzia died and was swapped with Esri... and the exact same thing happened in the mirror universe, wha? Just too much coincidence.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...although that's a (fatal?) flaw in most alternate dimension stories...

13. Craigbob

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    One thing just occurred to me. Did Georgiou go back through the portal still wearing her 930 year new future tech fitbit? If so whatever period in trek lore she lands in is in for a hell of a shock.

14. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I suppose alternate dimension stories have their own tropes, just like time travel. And I have no problem when time travel shows do their thing.

15. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    And with knowledge of the Burn? (which bugged me more). Might we start seeing signs (in present Discovery) of Georgiou meddling in the past, causing a starship (or squadren) to have conveniently powered off it's warp core at the right moment, survive in hiding, and pop up at a critical moment?

16. Craigbob

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Depends on where/when she lands. I imagine sometime in the TNG era or shortly thereafter is probable, but I'm just throwing darts on that end. But giving a suggestion for something that's going to happen 800+ years in the future is very dubious IMO. It's doubtful that any ships from her time would survive that long.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They are TV shows. So nothing unusual there.

martinp13 likes this.
  18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Could that lead to cameos from TNG cast? Hmmmmmmmmm

19. Bruce24

Bruce24 Active Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    It depends on how useful it is not connected to a network and how how long it goes before it needs a recharge. While having just using the flashlight on your smartphone in 1600's Salem MA would have been enough to get you arrested as a witch, it would not have been able to help you lookup what your best defense strategy would be.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Heh.

On the other hand, there is no doubt a lot of reverse-engineerable tech in there...