Star Trek: Discovery - S2 E9 "Project Daedalus"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Mar 16, 2019.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    This was the 3rd ep directed by Jonathan Frakes, apparently.

Pretty decent ep and unfortunately, I stumbled across a spoiler while reading something else that Ariam would die.

There seemed to be some pretty big plot holes (not surprising for Trek). There were no ships defending Section 31 HQ? It had no weapons other than mines? Why didn't Disco fire at the mines?

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Who would man the ships? Hasn't Control already killed everybody and taken over Section 31 for itself?

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's what I assumed, too...

4. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    If "The Orville" had been battling an AI named Control, I would have expected a "Get Smart" reference.

5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Seth MacFarlane making a pop culture reference?

6. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I need to watch this episode again. I dozed at the end. I was sorry to see Ariam die, especially after we had finally gotten to see a bit of her backstory.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I figured it's whatever ships Section 31 had available. There had to be at least several.

And, I figured they could get some others from Starfleet.

8. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

I enjoyed the depiction of the smart mines and Pike's moral abhorrence to the use of mines a lot - Pike for President.

I seem to recall something along the lines of Admiral Cornwell saying the deflector shields had to be turned off because some of the smart mines were attracted to deflector tools. It is reasonable to assume that other smart mines would be attracted to a ship firing. Not so much a plot hole more a visual hole - assume there were far more mines than appeared on screen, they could have destroyed Discovery before Discovery destroyed all of them.

Mythological call out - the nephew of Daedalus is Talos.

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Should Commander Nhan figured out that Ariam was infected by Brainiac Control sooner?

And by having Nhan be the one the pull the airlock lever, I wonder if they missed a story opportunity with Burnham.

10. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    They didn't need to space Airiam. Burnham still had the phaser rifle. Just set it to 11.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. Gerryex

Gerryex Active Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Could someone please remind me why Burnham blamed herself for her parents death. Thanks.

12. TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If I recall correctly, they were going to leave for somewhere else but Michael asked to stay so they could watch a celestial event. Had they left...

13. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    She was a kid, and remembers begging her parents to stay to watch a star go super nova, and has blamed herself ever since for their deaths.

14. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    I am hoping that this is not the end of this. By her being unable to sacrifice a shipmate should be (as far as Trek canon goes) the end of her in the Command track... Ordering a subordonate to their death and pulling an airlock lever seem to me to be pretty much the same thing...

Although not as strong as other episodes this season, still loving each episode... Just wish I could watch on Thursday evenings... I normally catch it Friday or Saturday evening.

To me, it looked like she was observing Ariam to determine what she was up to...

15. Gerryex

Gerryex Active Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Ah yes, now I remember. Thanks!

Gerry