Star Trek: Discovery - S2 E8 "If Memory Serves"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Mar 16, 2019.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Surprised there was no thread yet. Loved the TOS references with the resonating flowers and that Vina appeared.

I really enjoyed this ep and ended up rewatching TOS "The Cage" and parts of "The Menagerie".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yeah, another really good episode. And it reinforces my hope for a Pike-led spin-off.

MikeBear likes this.
  3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'd watch that...loved him in Hell on Wheels.

markz and MikeBear like this.
  4. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    In general I approve that the look of aliens, ships and uniforms have been updated.

But in the specific case of the Talosians I think the old look is much better than the new look.

cwerdna likes this.
  5. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    The episode as a whole felt kinda weak for me. There's been a decent amount of buildup to them going back to Talos (including the excellent "Previously on Star Trek" intro they did), as well as us getting to the big reveal of how Michael hurt Spock so badly...and then they get there the big reveal happens in a cave and it's just Michael hurting Spock's feelings. Sure, what she said was pretty harsh, but I'd think even young Spock would realize that she was just trying to push him away for the benefit of the family.

JYoung likes this.
  6. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    I thought the big reveal was a HUGE let down and actually made me chuckle and think "that's it?". My brothers and I have said much worse to each other.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I liked Melissa George as the new Vina but I found most of the rest to be kind of meh.

And for "planet forbidden", a lot of Starfleet vessels seem to go to Talos IV on a whim.

Did I catch what Spock said correctly, when he said that Burnham's fate had been changed due to the Red Angel?

That may answer most of my complaints with Burnham.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    In the ep before this, I liked the reference to both Mutara sector (Genesis was planet forbidden there) and Talos IV.

Star Trek III was the Search for Spock and Bones wanted to go to planet forbidden in Mutara sector.

MikeBear likes this.
  9. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    Never saw this thread the week it aired.

Freaking. Awesome! Didn't think we would see Vina, but given how the storyline played out, it worked well. I was sort of disappointed that the Talosians were not more involved in the overall mystery. I was sure they were behind the total systems failure of the Enterprise...

If CBS All Access doesn't run with a Pike series, then there is no justice...

BrettStah likes this.