Star Trek: Discovery - S2 E7 "Light and Shadows"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mar 2, 2019 #1 of 15
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Woah!

Mutara sector? Planet forbidden. :) Remember Star Trek III: The Search for Spock? Heh.

Talos IV?!?! Hmmm. Gotta love these TOS and Captain Pike references.

At first I wasn't liking this ep that much but it got better. At the beginning of the ep, Pike brought up concerns about Tyler that I'd always kept wondering about. Why the heck would Starfleet/Section 31 let Tyler/Voq hold any role within either org given who he is and that he murdered Dr. Culber?

Part of me likes how they're supposedly filling in the 10 years before TOS but this ep has yet more stuff we'd never heard of about Spock and his family.

2. Mar 2, 2019 #2 of 15
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    >> Talos IV?!?! Hmmm. Gotta love these TOS and Captain Pike references.

Timeline wise... Does the current episode take place before, or after, the events shown in TOS:The Menagerie? ie, at this point, has Spock already visited Talos IV with Pike? Wait... Was Spock even on the planet Talos IV with Pike in the flashbacks? Was he a member of the crew back then, or was it the female science officer in his place at the time? (Oh no, I don't remember!) Are we before, or after the issuing of general order 7?

3. Mar 2, 2019 #3 of 15
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Ok, according to the internets: ;)

"Pike and the Enterprise visited Talos IV in “The Cage,” which happened in 2254, three years prior to 2257, which is when Discovery is happening right now."

So by now Talos IV will be off limits, and known to Pike.

4. Mar 2, 2019 #4 of 15
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Strictly speaking I think all that is known about when the death penalty was imposed for visiting Talos IV is that it was something between those two events.

It would be a heck of a retrofit but it could be because of this visit by Burnham and Spock.

5. Mar 3, 2019 #5 of 15
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio

Advertisements

IOW if the Mutara nebula is in the Mutara Sector. While that seems logical to us, who knows in Discovery? It ought to be interesting if they show the Talosians this season. I wonder how they have updated the makeup from the 60's version. Who will play Vina?

6. Mar 3, 2019 #6 of 15
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Woah. I wonder if the above years are right.

I immediately thought (possibly incorrectly) that Disco was taking place before The Cage.

BTW, anyone watching the extra videos like The Ready Room? You can see them at Star Trek: Discovery (Official Site) CBS All Access, Star Trek and Log In or Sign Up to View. I only watched the first one for the season and I frankly found it a lot worse than After Trek, which I enjoyed and they cancelled.

7. Mar 3, 2019 #7 of 15
    MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    They did show a Talosian or two in the coming ups, inflated heads and all.

8. Mar 3, 2019 #8 of 15
    Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    As usual, really enjoyed this episode.

1. A mention of Talos-IV was a surprise to me. I would have thought that stroyline would have been off limits.
    2. Sarus' sighting of the Red Angle had me thinking the Red Angle is a female judging from shape of the "suit".

Spoilering since it is speculation...

1. Are the Talosians' behind the shipwide systems failure of the Enterprise? Or was it Spock?
    2. I do not think we will see Vina since she is living her "life of illusion with her Pike" (Since Pike being injured and returned to Talos-IV hasnt happened yet), unless it is part of the motivation for them to interfere.

9. Mar 3, 2019 #9 of 15
    pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

My alternative but not better theory.

Who from Spock's future would benefit from an exo skeleton? - Pike.

Pike said he used to be a test pilot, Red Angel makes for a good test/display pilot call sign.

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Spock was there when Pike was captured by the Talosians (he and Tyler blasted the lift door with their hand "lasers".)
    And at the briefing after Pike was captured, Spock was the one who talked about the Talosians' mental powers.
    (Spock was the Science Officer and Number One was the First Officer.)

And as noted, it would have been three years or so before the events we are currently watching.

So color me surprised that Burnham didn't even mention/think about General Order 7.

(Oh, and Spock is dyslexic? Really?)

11. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    Interesting... but...

I would wonder why Pike would want to leave Talos-IV? At the end of “The Menagerie” he was going to live out his life in a illusion with Vina. And since the Talosians needed humans to repopulate and take care of the technology there is no way a paralyzed Pike could construct an exosuit.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I believe that is redundant...first officers have always been referred to as "number one" in the Star Trek universe...

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not always (how often was Spock referred to as "Number One") but often enough.

The post I quoted was referring to a "female Science Officer" which I assumed was in reference to "Number One".
    It looked to me that some clarification was needed.

(Also, there are non canon claims that "Number One" is her actual name. Notably, one by D.C. Fontana.)

14. pgogborn

Nov 11, 2002

I like the speculation that Red Angel is female and I hope it turns out that way.

But when it comes to the development of technology I find it intriguing and possibly significant that in the real world there has been a connection between Talos and exosuits.
    ###
    How the TALOS [Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit] combat suit can read troops’ vitals and give them super strength >
    How the TALOS combat suit can read troops’ vitals and give them super strength
    ###

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Mostly post-Spock as I recall...