Star Trek: Discovery - S2 E13 "Such Sweet Sorrow", part 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Apr 20, 2019.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Discuss.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No.

3. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    The OP normally gives an opinion, and then it proceeds from there...

4. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Haha. Well, I just started the thread since I couldn't find one and we just had ep 14, the finale.

You're free to be the "OP".

Anyway, when I was watching, I didn't think Disco would get destroyed since I knew there'd be a 3rd season. As some reviews pointed out, they were surprised how quickly the crew gave up when they tried to destroy Disco. Couldn't have they done something else like getting Disco to remotely lower its shields, or jumping it to sector 001 where more of Starflleet could attack it?

5. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Always so annoying since it was broadcast as a single episode that ran really long. Of course, the guide never mentioned this, the channel just played it, until they were easily 45 minutes late on everything. So naturally, it got cut off. Grr.

6. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    Watched this episode today. The "Queen Po" bit really annoyed me. She was presented as though we were supposed to recognize her, but I didn't have a clue as to who she was and why she was friends with Tilly. Later, I found out that you have to watch the "Short Treks" to understand. Using these "one shots" to add back or side story to already established plots or characters in the main show is cool for fan service, but this was the other way around.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    osu1991 and cwerdna like this.
  7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Why didn't you watch the "Short Treks"? They were all made available during the break between seasons, and were well publicized. Maybe you're not a real fan...

cwerdna likes this.
  8. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Never heard of these! :eek:

9. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    True, a real fan would likely follow a convoluted series path to the end ... but unless I am mistaken, the actual demographic is not the 'true fan', so much as the next generation viewer? Had STD been for the stereotypical fan, the show would be decidedly more canon.

10. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    It's a little late now, but at least 3 of them really should have been watched (and were meant to be watched) before the related plotlines manifested in the series. But of them, only the "Queen Po" one manifested itself as "Wait WTF?" if you hadn't seen it. But anyone who didn't watch them essentially skipped four "small" episodes of the season.

cwerdna likes this.
  11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm catching up and this episode annoyed the crap out of me due to the previously discussed "They have the spore drive, why aren't they jumping far away?" question.

Yes, I know they said "Well, ControlLeland won't stop coming until he has the sphere data" but jeez, even jumping 10,000 light years or even 1000 light years away buys them a fair amount of time to plan and build.

Jump.
    Pick up Queen Po.
    Jump farther away.
    Plan.
    Build new time suit.
    Build new power generator.

This sounds better to me than frantically running around for an hour to get everything working.

12. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    There was some publicity about them before they "aired".

Short Treks Schedule Revealed is supposedly from Sept 2018.

If you'd liked the Star Trek Facebook page, you probably would've found out.

I also just stumbled across ‘Star Trek: Short Treks’ Now Available On Netflix Internationally.

These were also from last year:
    'Star Trek' Shorts Go Boldly (and Briefly) to CBS All Access This Week
    CBS’s Star Trek: Discovery mini-episodes begin streaming next month

I also apparently started this thread: Star Trek: Discovery Short Treks - all eps

13. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    BO-RING! Where's the drama in that??? ;) I think everyone watching thought that same thing.

14. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    This season they've gone completely off the rails. Does none of this make sense to anyone else? About to watch the finale. I'm guessing a hard reset on all the crap they've pulled this entire season?