Star Trek: Discovery - S1E14 - "The War Without, the War Within" - 2/4/2017

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018 #1 of 20
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX

Advertisements

Now, just a damn minute. Doesn't everyone *know* that Georgiou is dead? At least all of the Discovery bridge crew? It seemed like Burnham and Saru were the only ones freaked out by it.

2. Feb 5, 2018 #2 of 20
    lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Only Saru and Burnham know that it's actually MU Georgiou. And the poor little transporter room worker, who I'm afraid isn't long for this world.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2018 #3 of 20
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    So many twists... you'd think Shalmalyan was running this show.

The next twist is the ISS Enterprise and Capt Silly coming back throwing a wrench into the attack on Q'uonos.

4. Feb 5, 2018 #4 of 20
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    This episode felt like a forced reset. Let's figure out everything that we need in place to get to our desired season ending cliffhanger, and cram it into one episode. Out of spores? Well, Stamets happens to have some magical spore plants that didn't die that we can just inject into a moon and get an immediate harvest. Don't want to spent too much time talking about TylerVoq? Have L'Rell fix him between episodes, and now he's completely Tyler again. Not sure who to put in the captain's chair? Let's shoehorn Mirror Georgiou back into the show.

And I really can't believe that the crew of the Discovery didn't know that Georgiou was the emperor in the Mirror universe. If they did, there's no way anyone actually believes that their Georgiou is back from the dead rather than someone just doing a swaperoo.

5. Feb 5, 2018 #5 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Is there going to be a cliffhanger? I thought the concept of the show was one-season stories...

6. Feb 5, 2018 #6 of 20
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    The original showrunner wanted an Anthology-based Trek. The new showrunners don't.

7. Feb 5, 2018 #7 of 20
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I'm just guessing there will be--there's too much going on right now to try to wrap up in one more episode.

8. Feb 5, 2018 #8 of 20
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's worrisome but I'd also be worried about Lt. Detmer who also served under the real Georgiou and smiled broadly when "Georgiou" walked on to the bridge.

I agree with doom that they're trying to cram in stuff for a set up to a season finale cliffhanger (which I'm guessing will be a debate over actually destroying/devastating Kronos).

They're also hand waving away a few key things such as Voq's personality being completely gone and now "Tyler" is just "Tyler".
    (And let's just classify this whole Mirror Universe thing so Kirk never hears about it.)

I'm also not dismissing the possibility that they may do a redemption arc for the Empress.

However, nothing in this episode alleviates my previous feeling that too much has happened in order to get to the sunny Federation of ten years later.

(And Cornwell just couldn't use Discovery's prefix code? ;) )

9. Feb 5, 2018 #9 of 20
    doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    After last week, I feel like they could have introduced a season long arc of the Discovery leading some guerrilla operations utilizing knowledge that they get from Emperor Georgiou to turn the course of the war. That could have worked great with the new information from early in last night's episode when we learned that the advancements being made by the Klingons were being done by individual houses without unity.

But as soon as Georgiou walked onto the bridge in full Captain's pips, I think that went out the window. I fully expect things to go to hell in the next episode and the goal will become "how do we reverse all of this?"

10. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm still trying to decide if Prime Lorca is going to reappear. :) And L'Rell has to figure into this somehow... but which team will she play for? She hates humans but doesn't seem to have much love for the Empire.

I keep thinking about it, but I can't see any way that they can avoid a time travel reset (either this season or my guess early next season). Too much seems to have gone down in nine months, with too much loss. That was underscored last night with Starbase 1. I mean, it's number *1*, so it must be the most important. Maybe they can slingshot around the ginormous plot holes and go back 9 months.

I agree with doom that the Klingon War story arc could have worked, but we don't seem to be going down that path any more.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    At the risk of sounding sexist, there's been something that's been nagging at me for the last few weeks and here's my question:
    I don't watch After Trek but has there been any indication that Mary Wiseman is pregnant?

I've noticed that they've altered her costume and have been fairly careful about how they've been shooting her and avoided showing her abdomen (although they slipped once and it looked to me like there was a belly bulge). It also looks to me that she might have gained a few pounds (or kilos) which is also showing in her face.

(Not that I have a problem with a Starfleet cadet not having "model perfect" looks but the show may have work around her pregnancy and write her out of some episodes, assuming she is pregnant.)

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Reappear?
    We've never seen Prime Lorca.

Now if you're talking about Mirror Lorca, well I can think of at least one way he could reappear....

13. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    You're right about both.

No one knows the whereabouts of Prime Lorca. So he could deus ex machina appear and help save the day (if someone doesn't think he's Mirror Lorca and kill him first).

When Isaacs was interviewed and pressed about whether "Lorca" was really dead, his answer was a big dance of "you saw him die" and "a million pieces" and crap like that. So he could show up in the network. But Mirror Lorca's game is up: everyone knows he's the "bad guy", and if he shows up anywhere, he won't last long.

14. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Unbeknown to Burnham former Emperor Georgiou and Sarak have agreed to a plan that goes beyond destroying military installations on Kronos and probably breaches the Geneva Conventions - but I am not sure that plan is to destroy civilian installations on Kronos. Perhaps the debate will be nothing to do with Kronos.

That would be intersting, Burnham finally gets to save Georgiou, but it could be Sarek that will need to do redemption.

The arc I would like to see is L'Rell playing the Great Game, using and being used by the Federation.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So is there only one more episode left? I have been thoroughly enjoying this season.
    I will be looking forward to the second season.

16. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Anyone catch the date? I believe the Admiral made a mention that the incident with the Klingons was 100 years ago on the NX-01 (Captain Archer's Enterprise). Which dates Discovery to I think prior to TOS

17. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It was stated when they first announced the series that it was 10 years before TOS. Which means there is an Enterprise NC-1701 with either April or Pike in command, and perhaps a young Spock as Science Officer, roaming around the quadrant.

aaronwt likes this.
  18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I do recall in the discussions on the first couple of episodes mentioning that Michelle Yeoh said she'd be back. We all thought it was maybe in flashbacks, but I guess that was a huge hint later on.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA