Star Trek Discovery & Picard: Where to start?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ruth, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Apr 5, 2020 #1 of 26
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    CBS All Access is doing monthlong free trials now, so I'm going to give both of these shows a shot. I basically know nothing about them.

But where to begin?

Without any spoilers, please, my questions are:

1. Which new show do I start with? Does it matter? Picard is much more of a draw for me because TNG is my favorite, but if it makes for a better overall experience to start with Discovery, I'll start there.

2. It's been a while since I was really into this universe. Are there things I should review/rewatch before I get going?

Thank you!

2. Apr 5, 2020 #2 of 26
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    You can watch either, they are not connected. I didn't watch anything in advance and understood what was going on.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2020 #3 of 26
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Agreed.

However, for Picard show, it's helpful to have watched TNG, some of Voyager and Star Trek: Nemesis (not a great movie though). There are some references I could mention from TNG and Voyager but that might spoil things.

I've seen every available ep of Discovery and Picard. I've also seen all of TNG, TOS, all the Trek movies at least once and about 2/3 of Voyager.

4. Apr 5, 2020 #4 of 26
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They explain everything you need to know for Picard in the first episode. We just watched and I liked it quite a bit. Will be more fun if you've at least seen some of TNG.

5. Apr 5, 2020 #5 of 26
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^
    There are a lot of things that you wouldn't get/know the significance of in Picard unless you'd seen the TNG and Voyager references I'm referring to.

A co-worker who'd been watching Picard who I spoke to weeks ago about this hadn't seen Star Trek: Nemesis so she didn't know what happened at the end of that movie.

6. Apr 5, 2020 #6 of 26
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Both series are standalone: you don't need to have watched anything before to enjoy them. Having said that, you'll enjoy Picard even more having a familiarity with TNG, as you have--you'll catch more "Aha!" references.

As to which of the 2 series to watch first, it's more a matter of mood: Discovery is pretty much standalone in its characters, whereas Picard, as mentioned, ties back to the TNG world--if you're in a mood to see what's up with old friends and their world, Picard would be the way to go.

cwerdna likes this.
  7. Apr 5, 2020 #7 of 26
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, it depends. Discovery is more of the "new Trek" world introduced by the reboot movies (Star Trek (2009), Star Trek Beyond, Star Trek Into Darkness). Though, Discovery is weird enough that it doesn't build on anything - its quite standalone.

Picard is back to the "classic" world introduced by TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9 and movies up to the forgettable one. It somehow plays a role but it doesn't exist.

Both can be watched without watching any of the previous movies or shows as they are independent, though Picard is more enjoyable if you have watched TNG and the movies. This is due to the in-jokes and other things as well as returns of old characters.

Both Picard and Discovery should be started from the first episode though - these are series that have an overarching storyline. Unlike previous Star Trek series which can be jumped in and out of and are relatively independent of each other. There are lists of TNG and VOY episode for Picard, and if you know the basic premise of the show, you can pretty much get by watching just those episodes.

cwerdna likes this.
  8. Apr 5, 2020 #8 of 26
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I really enjoyed Picard. Can’t get into Discovery. I’ve tried twice now.

9. Apr 5, 2020 #9 of 26
    wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Discovery is officially a prequel to the original Star Trek series but does borrow a couple of plot points from the recent Star Trek movies. I think it is best to think of Discovery as a reboot of the original series, only starting about decade or so earlier than the original series.

Picard is a sequel to Star Trek TNG series and movies and is set in that world with the exception of borrowing one plot point from the recent Star Trek movies.

Turtleboy and cwerdna like this.
  10. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I'll echo what others have said, a familiarity with Star Trek in general is useful, along with an understanding of the major other species in the ST universe: Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Borg, etc. It's good to understand the various alliances that are in place between the planets that make up the Federation as well as those that don't. Otherwise, I don't think you need to go back and review specific episodes.

Discovery takes place prior to the original series and is supposedly in the same universe as the Shatner, Nimoy, et al. series, although its presentation of the time period and especially the appearance of the Klingons makes some people question if it really is the same universe.

Picard essentially takes place in real time relative to the previous movies and series. The last movie with the TNG cast came out almost 20 years ago, and Picard takes place about 20 years after the events of that movie. Because there's a 20 year gap in the story, don't worry if someone makes reference to an event from the past that you don't remember. Often, it's the first time those events have ever been mentioned and they get explained as the series goes along. The same is true for many characters with previous relationships.

There is no overlap between Discovery and Picard, so you are perfectly safe starting with Picard if that interests you more. You won't miss anything by doing so.

One other thing to mention. They also released a series of short episodes, called Short Treks, between the seasons. These are 10-15 minute single story episodes mostly featuring minor characters from Discovery (and some who never appear on the main shows). The stories generally stand alone, but one or two do have things happen that get mentioned in the main series. You could skip these, but they're all pretty short, so I think they're worth watching.

If you do watch the Short Treks, I'd advise watching them the way they were released: Short Treks season one came out between seasons one and two of Discovery and the second season of Short Treks came out after season two of Discovery.

There is only one episode of Short Treks that ties-in with Picard. It's the final episode of the second season. It serves as a prologue to Picard. If you are going to skip Discovery and go right to Picard, I'd advise watching only that one Short Trek episode first.

cwerdna likes this.
  11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I just finished watching both of these shows, and I agree it makes no difference what you watch when. The only exception being my complete agreement with the posters who say you should be familiar with The Next Generation series before you watch Picard. In fact, I would go further to say that I think this is mandatory.

In my personal opinion, I think that Picard would have stunk if I had not known all the references and "old" characters that kept showing up. While the new series can stand on its own, I think it would be terrible just trying to watch a bunch of very old actors way past their prime trying to bring off a new SciFi adventure. But with a good knowledge of the past, I found this series actually very good, with fewer inconsistencies or asinine logic faults than the other new one. But it did require paying close attention in the early episodes to really put it all together.

Discovery, however, was a Miserable and Painful experience - what complete and total garbage. And it just kept getting worse and worse. The concept of a prequel to the original Star Trek was good, especially since it is supposed to take place a mere 10 years or so before the original. And the references to the original mostly make sense. But the constant inconsistencies between episodes, the terrible acting, and the really asinine premises and situations presented over and over and over again make this new series the worst joke possible.

12. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I watched TNG casually, but it didn't click with me like TOS, or even follow ons like DS9 and Voyager for some reason. I watched the 4 TNG movies (didn't see the last two) to prep and then realized that I should have at least watched "The Best of Both Worlds" as a refresher too. Now that I am all caught up I will try to check out Picard this week.

MikeBear likes this.
  13. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I might suggest you also watch the TNG eps I, Borg along and maybe Descent parts 1 and 2. Also, a name will come up in Picard for which you might want to watch
    The Measure of a Man

Having watched Nemesis (not a great movie) or at least reading about it would fill in some gaps.

14. LlamaLarry

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Thanks, I will check them out! I have plenty of time lately. :D

15. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Thanks everyone. I was a total TNG nerd back in the day so general familiarity with that universe is not a problem! I will re-watch Nemesis before getting started. And the suggested TNG episodes too -- I remember all the ones referenced here, but they're good ones, so I'll just do a quick refresher and that will be a fun project.

16. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^
    Not that necessary to re-watch Nemesis. If you just remember/re-read about the major plot points and remember the song sung during the wedding, that's good enough.

Also, the episode that I put in spoiler tags isn't a necessary re-watch. Just read a summary of the ep and remember the name of the antagonist. He's come up at least once more in TNG eps but we never see him (AFAIK) within the series.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Following up! I re-watched all the suggested material and then binged the whole season of Picard. Thanks everyone!

I anyone else finds this thread, here is my advice:

Watching Nemesis certainly did lay some groundwork for Picard. But it is *such* an extremely terrible movie that I can't recommend that anyone watch it. I must have seen it before, because I found an ancient copy I actually own on DVD, but clearly I blocked it out because I barely remembered it, and having watched it again, now I'm just mad about that 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. Save yourselves and just google it!

18. LlamaLarry

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I've been dragging my feet on this (I am the only Star Trek fan in the family) but only have three TNG episodes left from the space.com suggestions. I hope to knock them out this week and do Picard this weekend.

19. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Yes, it's terrible but it allowed my wife to make the ultimate pun ...
    During the fight at the end where Picard is fighting his clone and skewers him up on the wall, my wife turns to me and says "Well, I guess he was hoist by his own Picard..." :)

20. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Nemesis was pretty bad, but it did have a really good space battle.

cwerdna likes this.