Star Trek Discovery 9/24/17 Ep 2 "Battle at the Binary Stars" (CBS AA)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Peter000, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I wasn't overwhelmed with the first two episodes of Discovery, but I didn't hate them either. I'm not a big Klingon fan, so that didn't help. They looked great and I hope they can keep up the production value. But...

I hated the "more advanced" tech they had than TOS. Especially the hologram communication. I don't mind the tech LOOKING cooler, but it shouldn't be more advanced. I thought they did the view screens pretty well in that regard.

It should be interesting where they go from here with Michael. I thought the previews were quite compelling.

2. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I'm of two minds about Discovery having more advanced tech.

The purist in me thinks it shouldn't be.

The Star Trek viewer in me is glad it is.

Overall, I'm coming down on the side of more advanced tech being a good thing. Viewers have become used to more advanced tech and special effects in their viewing, and I think deliberately restricting it to mesh into the previous shows look and feel would be a mistake. I think the Discovery pilot bears witness to that. I want to view future Discovery episodes more than I wanted to view future Enterprise episodes.

markz likes this.
  3. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Maybe at the end of this series something happens that changes the tech level. Also I hope this series explains this:

gweempose likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I think they are better off NOT explaining it. The original Klingons looked the way they did because it was cheaper and easier, so no in-show explanation required, just enjoy the Discovery Klingons.

aaronwt and BrettStah like this.
  5. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I'm hoping to see human looking Klingons as one of the 24 houses.:D

cwerdna and lalouque like this.
  6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    That's exactly it. I remember reading a Roddenberry interview in the first season or so of TNG when he mentioned "Of course the original Klingons had ridges! You just couldn't see them" as a roundabout way to explain that they didn't have the money for fancy prosthetics way back when.

That was one thing I didn't like about that otherwise enjoyable DS9 episode.

--Carlos "and women wore less" V.

7. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    I'm just so sad to see Michelle Yeoh go. Unfortunately, I was expecting it ever since the first seven minutes of Episode One.

Being listed as a "Special Guest Star" is telling us that she won't be around long enough to be a regular part of the series but will be there long enough to make some extra money for the rest of her career from attending Star Trek conventions.

8. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I find the Klingon talking scenes to be extremely boring. I think we heard the Klingons talk more in these two episodes than all previous Trek combined!

I know it's a "real" language, but obviously not a very efficient one.

aaronwt likes this.
  9. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    The Klingson scenes were too long and boring. Enough with the captioning just have them start speaking Klingon and then change to English. Really affected the pacing of the episode which was already plodding. Not a fan of the characters at all. The only one that was fairly interesting was the science officer who can sense impending death.

10. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Jonathon Harris (the ham playing Dr. Smith) was listed in the credits as a "special guest star" the entire run of Lost in Space.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When comparing the tech, what are we comparing to? I would assume this series is in the new continuity from the last few movies not the original. The tech is more advanced in the newer movies than in TOS.

12. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I kind of feel like the entire premier would have been better they threw out all the Klingon talking scenes, and just let us experience it from the perspective of the Starfleet crew, ala the Balance of Terror.

13. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    This series takes place 10 years before the original Star Trek.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And let's face it, having 1960s-level tech in the 24th century works a lot better in the 60s than it does in 2017.

Same as with the Klingons...that's not the level of tech they had in TOS, that's just the best 1960s TV people could do.

15. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Some folks will recoil in horror, but I hope that they reboot TOS in the future, using better/modern techniques, etc. Wait until Shatner and the other original actors aren't around to object. :)

16. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    There was an arc on season 4 of Enterprise that explained the whole thing about Klingons looking different during the TOS era.

17. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Heather Locklear on Melrose Place too. In that case, it was an issue with the order of the credits. The other actors had it in their contracts that the credits would be in alphabetical order, so no one received higher billing than anyone else. Locklear wanted higher billing, so by being credited as a "Special Guest Star", her credit was separate from the rest.

18. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Again, I don't care if the tech looks cooler, I don't want it to be more advanced than the 60's tech was. For the most part the show has stuck to that philosophy. Aside from the holographic Star Wars like communication.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But why should 24th-century technology be LESS advanced than 2017 technology?

The future has to keep moving, or else it becomes the past! ;)

BrettStah likes this.
  20. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    What technology are we talking about? CRT/mechanical switches vs. flat touch panel displays? We don't have holographic FTL communication yet.