1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek 2/11/18 "Will You Take My Hand?"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    (Quotes from last week's thread)
    I had thought it was the new guys who said one story per season, and it looks like that's the route they're going! Not an anthology show like American Horror Story, but having one complete story for each season rather than mostly self-contained episodes or multi-season arcs.

Which works for me.
    Heh. I admit, I’m a little surprised at how quickly they wrapped it all up. On the other hand, I think they did a good job of showing how this all fits in with the Star Trek ethos...this is the time when they almost shattered it, and at the last moment reconfirmed their commitment.

I loved Tilly’s reactions to Georgiou.

And the Orion drug dealer WAS Clint Howard! I thought so, but wasn’t entirely sure.

I like Discovery. That may be in part because I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan, but this one I really like.

aaronwt likes this.
  2. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    (Face palm)
    That last shot just had me shaking me head.
    Why don't they just admit that this isn't the Prime Universe already?
    (Yes, I knew which ship it was supposed to be when the readout said "NCC-17....")

I'm glad that the writers stayed true to the Starfleet ideals and thought that the end to the war was somewhat clever but my issues from the last two episodes still remain in terms of the amount of destruction the war caused and how much the Federation will have to rebuild by the time James T. Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

Also, I still have trouble swallowing everything that was done to Voq and the fact that his personality is going and "Tyler's" remains.

Well, at least it's better than Star Trek: Enterprise.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That was pretty well done.
    Recognized him right away and thought that he was used well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    aaronwt likes this.
  4. TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Back when Tilly was first introduced, I thought to myself "I hope she's not a recurring character -- she is SO annoying."

I was wrong. I really, really like the character. Mary Wisemen is perfect in the role.

lalouque and aaronwt like this.
  5. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Ugh. The war ended way too easily. That's the best they could think of? Series over all is enjoyable. Disappointed on how quickly this episode wraps things up.

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Pretty good wrap, but this last episode seemed a bit anticlimactic. Very Trekky though, ideals winning out over phasers and bat'leths.

I was THRILLED to see Clint Howard. Recognized him instantly.

Looking forward to Season 2.

aaronwt likes this.
  7. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I enjoyed this season and I am glad they wrapped up the Klingon war in one season.

I also knew what ship was sending the distress call as soon as they said a federation ship was hailing them. I need to freeze the picture, but I don't remember the Enterprise looking quite like that.it seemed to be a cross between the TOS version and the Kelvinverse version. I am not sure what to make of it.

Does this mean we see Spock next season? I wonder how that's going to fit in with the Spock/Sarek meeting in Journey to Babel.

BTW, did anyone else catch the homage to TOS & TWoK? I had to rewind to make sure that I saw what I thought I saw.

8. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Took me a minute to decipher TWoK (The Wrath of Kahn). I did not notice it.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    So what exactly is your complaint?

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I agree. I was surprised the war ended this way. I'd have expected at least some big boom on Qo'noS, at least enough to get the Klingon's attention.

What's to stop a united Klingon empire from waging war again against the Federation?
    Agreed.

One big plot hole to me was that why were humans allowed to wander at all on Qo'noS. You'd think they'd be captured or killed almost immediately.

I also didn't catch the TWoK reference. I did catch the reference to Bread and Circuses (episode).

I wonder how similar Captain Pike will look to either Jeffrey Hunter or Bruce Greenwood (Christopher Pike (alternate reality)). Will we see the bridge of the Enterprise? Will it look all retro like TOS or look more like an Apple store (JJ-verse Enterprise)?

edit: Ahh, after skimming 'Star Trek: Discovery' Finale Easter Eggs You Might Have Missed | Inverse, I see the TWoK reference. Yeah, they did kinda look like those mind control eels but I didn't realize they intended to pay homage to TWoK.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
  12. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Right after they beamed down, there was a cut to a food vendor that was cooking Ceti eels. The ones that were used on Chekov and Terrell.

The other homage I noticed was Philippa name checking a TOS episode title. She mentioned Bread & Circuses.

13. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ugh.

I liked that they averted the war without extra bloodshed, but I thought it happened too fast and loose. Philippa wouldn't have backed down that easy (though it was a tempting offer on the table). She killed without thinking on her Terran ship, and I can't believe that, to her, blood is thicker than water.

One sniper shot to take out L'Rell, and they can go back to the Animal House pillaging of the Federation. And as someone posted above, a unified Klingon empire is just as dangerous as (if not more dangerous than) a Klingon free-for-all.

I'm very curious who the captain will be, but I suppose they have to deal with the Enterprise first.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think it was. (Even aside from Michael being adopted. ;)) I think the calculus was between pushing the button and being a fugitive, and not pushing the button and being free and clear. Not really a challenging decision! Although she does hate aliens, so maybe she had to work a little harder to get there... ;)

15. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    aaronwt likes this.
  16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's funny that some people want the ship and uniforms to look exactly like it did in the 60's. What's next, they want the special effects to look the same? The same crappy FX used back then? Along with the cheap looking uniforms too?

I am looking forward to Season 2. Have they said if it will start airing in 2018 or 2019?
    EDIT: I see at the end of the article that no date has been announced yet.

I cancelled my subscription last night, after I watched the last Discovery episode. I'll re-subscribe next month, when the Good FIght comes back on.

teknikel likes this.
  17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The fact that what they are claiming is Pike's Enterprise doesn't look Pike's Enterprise.
    (In fact, it looks a lot like Matt Jefferies' design of the Phase II Enterprise.)
    (And granted, that for all we know, this could be another Enterprise from perhaps another universe or the different look could be a plot point.)

I've given them some leeway with the uniforms (even though I think that the shoes look dumb) and the interiors.
    I've been pushing down my complaints on the amount of TNG era tech that seems to be available to them (intraship beaming a key one).

But we know from The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before what Pike's Enterprise looks like and it seems logical to me that if you're going to base a show in the Prime Universe during the time of Captain Pike, the Enterprise should look like his ship.
    (And yes, I noticed the computer wireframe diagram of the Defiant we saw a couple of episodes back had some differences. But I attributed those to modifications that the Empire made.)

At first glance, this redesign that's incongruous with the other TV versions of the Constitution class just seems to be another "wouldn't it be cool if....." thing ala "Spock's sister".

Again, this may be a plot point for Season 2 but it could also be that Season 2 opens with Burnham saying, "Well, it was nice to see Spock and meet Captain Pike".
    (And ignoring the fact that Spock and Sarek aren't on speaking terms even though the producers are portraying Sarek as admiring Starfleet principles.)

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sorry, I just have no sympathy for the notion that a 2018 show needs to restrict itself to what was possible in the 1960s. I thought they did a great job of showing a ship that was based on the TOS design but didn't look as dated as that one does today. Should they have used a cheap plastic model with virtually no detail?

19. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    There is a very vocal minority will never be happy unless the DSC incorporates Matt Jeffries production design, William Ware Theiss costumes, bouffant hairdos and 60s mini-skirts. Anything but is an affront to what they consider as inviolable canon of Star Trek. I've loved Star Trek my whole life, but I have no desire seeing any of those 60s conventions returning in a modern show. (Watch Star Trek Continues if you want to see those conventions resurrected.)

I wouldn't mind the mini-skirts coming back, as long as they don't put em on dudes like the first season of TNG did.

dfergie likes this.
  20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's funny because that wasn't what I said.

1. I did not say that they should have used a wooden model with no surface detail. I'd have no problem with them using a CGI model that added a layer of detail to Pike's Enterprise (and I'm certain that some person on the Internet has done so). There were some hints of this in the Defiant model used for Enterprise. I also wouldn't be against adding some little things like illuminated/animated intercoolers on the nacelles. I have a problem with them swapping out the nacelles for something different as well as the support pylons and the impulse deck. This isn't the same as saying that they must use the same methods as they did in 1965 which is what you are implying that I said.
    2. I guess the producers were heeding the load of complaints of how dated Kirk's Enterprise looked when it appeared on Deep Space Nine and how dated the Constitution Class Defiant looked when it appeared on Enterprise. Oh wait, there weren't loads of complaints.
    3. Again, there may be a story reason for the new look but right now, this feels like "change for change's sake", IMO. Not unlike the change to the look of the Klingons look for this series. I was perfectly fine with the change from the TOS Klingons to the TMP/TNG Klingons because that's what they originally wanted to do for them but couldn't afford it on the TV show's budget. I saw no reason to change them for this show and there's no story reason given either. I'd have been fine with the TMP/TNG Klingons and would not have been insisting that they all look like John Colicos with dark skin and a goatee.
    4. People can complain about "being locked into a 1960's aesthetic" but the producers had to recognize this challenge when they decided to place this series in the Prime Universe ten years before Kirk's Enterprise. They had the option to place this in the Abrams reboot universe and it wouldn't have affected the story that they have told so far. Since they choose not to, they are assuming the perils involved with the look and feel and existing canon. (And even the Abrams movie uniforms had some resemblance to the original uniforms.)