Standby mode- yes or no on the Roamio + Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RoamioPete, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Apr 7, 2017 #1 of 11
    RoamioPete

RoamioPete Active Member

Apr 3, 2017

Advertisements

Ok being new to the Tivo world school me on this whole "standby" mode.

I have a new Roamio 1TB in the bedroom and a mini in the living room feeding off the Roamio. I've read snippets here and there online talking saying you should put one or both into standby mode when not in use. It's kind of a pain to remember to do that every time we are done watching TV. Also a bit of a pain having to drill down the menu to get to Standby (is there a quicker way?).

So do I really have to put each device into Standby when we are ready to shut the TV off for the day/night? Or can I just turn off the TV and leave the Tivo's as is??

Any tips are appreciated.

2. Apr 7, 2017 #2 of 11
    Zonker007

Zonker007 Member

Oct 3, 2015
    You can set Power options to automatically put the TiVo in standby mode.

3. Apr 7, 2017 #3 of 11
    RoamioPete

RoamioPete Active Member

Apr 3, 2017
    I think I recall seeing that. You can pick how many hours you want it to wait. So If I set it for 2 hours and we are still watching a movie/TV show, does the box just shut down?? I don't want that to happen. I'm trying to make sure things run as smoothly as possible now that we are cord cutters. I don't want fam to flip out and decide we need to return things. :)

p.s. I don't recall seeing any power settings like that on the Mini??

4. Apr 7, 2017 #4 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Roamio: You can use Power Saving mode to save the keystrokes.
    Mini: you can just hit the TiVo button to release the tuner, or use Standby to prevent activation by an EAS test. If you just ignore it it will enter a screen saver mode after four hours. This is not a Standby mode.

Me? I never use Power Saving or Standby for the host. I always use Standby for the Mini.

5. Apr 7, 2017 #5 of 11
    RoamioPete

RoamioPete Active Member

Apr 3, 2017

Advertisements

Ok thanks folks.

As it stands now, the Roamio has Power Saver turned "Off".

6. Apr 7, 2017 #6 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you are curious about the heat, both the Roamio and Mini have an entry in System Information called MBT. It's the motherboard temperature in C. Normal is about 40C for the Roamio and much higher for the Mini.

7. Apr 7, 2017 #7 of 11
    RoamioPete

RoamioPete Active Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Cool thanks

8. Apr 7, 2017 #8 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    As to whether you should put your main box into Standby mode: it's really a matter of preference, largely for power savings--and depending on your energy costs, the $ savings may be minor. (And, no, I'm not negating even that, just saying.) On the flip side, some people dislike the idea of standby where the hard drive may spin down, as causing more wear-and-tear on the drive.

9. Apr 7, 2017 #9 of 11
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    @RoamioPete,

SEARCH for a thread from @mickinct re:standby. He's deep into this "Kill-A-Watt" thing and power savings and his last post was to express his unhappiness about TiVo breaking something that, for a while, was working.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the matter. I let my desktops run 24x7 and there's a Windows NT4 SP6a desktop down here in the basement that's been around, and mostly running, for almost two decades - 8GB and 20GB IDE HDDs, IIRC. Another desktop, Gateway 6400 running Win2K Pro, my DVArchive Server with an IBM 18GB SCSI HDD for the OS and 4x Seagate 200GB IDE HDDs for data also ran 24x7 ~12+ years until the IBM developed bad sectors and refused to boot after a power failure. But then my 'new' ~4 year old HP G7-1310US laptop, which I was using as a HTPC, first with a Hauppauge PVR-1212 and my FiOS STB (when I was still using my ReplayTVs and Vista WMC for the non-cable channels); then as a kmttg / PyTiVo Server after I bought my first Roamio (Refurbished Basic w/ Lifetime) is now getting its *THIRD* HDD. It came with a Hitachi ??? and I replaced it with a WD Blue - this time it's getting a WD Black and this Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 that I'm now typing on is going to become the new kmttg / PyTiVo Server, with a SSD for the OS and apps and a $40 BestBuy WD Blue 1TB for 'temporary' data (before it transfers to the RAID machine *IF* it's something I want to keep) - better air circulation for 24x7.

Back to TiVo - after reading the posts from @mickinct a few weeks ago, I set both my Roamio Basic and Roamio OTA to 'Power Savings - 2 hours', IIRC. I've noticed that now the Green Power LEDs are off in the morning but the fan is still running. You'll need to either remove the cover and touch the HDD, or use a "Kill-A-Watt" to see if it's spinning or not. Or just ask @mickinct. ;)

P.S. Remember to disable 'Suggestions' if you're truly interested in spinning down the HDDs.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And as a point of contrast, while I'm in favor of as much energy savings as possible (every little bit is a good thing), when I looked into this area earlier, I found that I would be saving, due to my use patterns, very little. Contrast that to the possible extra wear-and-tear on the hard drive, and I just decided to leave matters alone. But I'm not a tech. guy and really am flying by the seat-of-my-pants, based on the threads on the topic here and my calculations.

11. mickinct

mickinct Member

Sep 14, 2015
    NUTMEG STATE
    Tivo should either fix this or not have it listed, it is still broken, power saving what, a couple of lights?? THE hdd is still 24/7 running.