Standard Roamio Remote Repair

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bfwk122, Jan 26, 2015.

1. bfwk122

bfwk122 A Tivo owner from the beginning.

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    Can anyone tell me if it is difficult to open the standard Roamio remote that comes with the unit to clean it out.. I was just told by the wife that there was accident and it got wet... Is there any tricks to opening it? Thank you very much... Bob..

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it's only water you can have her use a blow dryer on low to dry it out after removing the batteries. I have never had something fail due to water, not so much with wine. I have also used a dishwasher on my keyboard and ran my cell phone through a washing machine (twice by accident). Everything works when dried out. And having a spare is a good idea. I'm still using the cell phone.

3. bfwk122

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    I do have a spare, but my question is still not answered. I have cleaned many a remote and yes I understand water is not too bad, but I have issues with some of the buttons sticking and I want to make sure it clean and free from everything. I guess this is a hard question, as no one has been able to answer it, or it has not come up before. I really don't see where this unit comes apart?

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Look on youtube- some older tivo remotes are shown, and I would expect this works in a similar fashion. Screw inside and clips around the edge.

5. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    I haven't opened a Roamio but very near broke the battery cover trying to slide it off
    (like all the other TiVo remote control covers that slide). Finally came here to learn one must pull the battery cover off and away (the corner of a credit card under the notch works better than my old finger).

I have opened my Premiere XL Glo-Remote.. using strips of old credit cards to wedge
    into the seam between the top and bottom while squeezing the bottom to gain separation between the two. Less chance of damage than a small screwdriver or butter knives or artist pallette tools (have used these on other remotes).

Roamio remote has an indentation on the back center upon removing the battery cover. Is that a hidden screw or plug? Don't know.

Here are links to a guy that fixed his dead TiVo slider remote Maybe you can gain insight on the way he removed its cover. Hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsanRaqjTNc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dG5XaCZo4

6. bfwk122

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thank you very much for all suggestions, but this remote is different from all the video's shown. I don't see any hidden screws and on the back of the remote is looks as if there is rivet and no screw. Thank you all for help we will continue to see if we get any other suggestions..Thanks..Bob..