stand alone tivo on directV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Giorgio, May 7, 2006.

1. May 7, 2006 #1 of 27
    Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003

Advertisements

I know a directv tivo will only work on directv However will a standalone tivo work on directv?

2. May 7, 2006 #2 of 27
    SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    what about this..

can i take the hard drive from a stand alone and replace a directv hard drive...

3. May 7, 2006 #3 of 27
    ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    No

4. May 7, 2006 #4 of 27
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Yes, absolutely

5. May 7, 2006 #5 of 27
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Advertisements

I don't see why not, a hard drive is just a hard drive. You'll have to bless it first though.

6. May 7, 2006 #6 of 27
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Yeah, but the integrated units have many benefits, so you might want to research the differences before you jump in.

7. May 7, 2006 #7 of 27
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes, a standalone TiVo will work with DirecTV as long as you have a regular DirecTV receiver.
    But, the combination units have many advantages.

8. May 7, 2006 #8 of 27
    Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    DirecTiVo Units:
    • picture only gets decoded for display, digital stream from satellite gets recorded.
    • Only 1 recording quality
    • predictable storage size.
    • Unit only calls for DirecTV features & Guided Setup, uses DirecTV data for the guide.
    • Without hacking, no HMO.
    • If leave D* and have purchased the unit you are left with a brick.

Standalone Units
    • Not tied to any service provider.
    • 5 Recording qualities
    • Needs to call in frequently for guide data.
    • Not guaranteed to have a call in number local to yourself.
    • Can be connected to Home Network.
    • If Home network present, TiVo regularly checks for recordings entered via tv.yahoo.com & TiVo online

If you choose Standalone, Use "High" quality instead of best, as you won't notice any difference in recording quality between the two.

9. May 7, 2006 #9 of 27
    Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003

How about the Toshiba SD-H400 seams to have all if not most of the benifis you are speaking of and rips to a disk also!

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The only thing is, using high on the SA uses WAY more space than the only recording quality on DirecTivo.

Some other DirecTiVo points:
    - dual tuner
    - better PPV integration
    - not having to deal w/potentially unreliable IR blasters if your DirecTV box doesn't have serial control
    - $6/mo, lifetime went away as a choice long ago
    - if broadcast is >2 channel stereo (say Dolby Digital 5.1), recording will be too

some other standalone points:
    - single tuner except for the new dual tuner model
    - limited to 2 channel stereo recording
    - home media features include stuff like TiVoToGo, MP3 playback, transferring shows to other TiVos in the household, photo slide shows and more
    - there are 4 recording qualities [at least on mine], not 5

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    There are some downsides to the Toshiba TiVo DVD recorder units (and all of them?):
    - Adding a second hard drive is not advisable. See http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.
    - I believe they all offer offer virtually no DVD editing capability, if that matters to you.
    - The recordings from other non-DVD recorder TiVos aren't the right format (not "DVD compliant") so if you transfer them via MRV, the DVD recorder TiVo can watch them but can't burn them nor can it transcode them before burning.
    - I've heard reports that for a given amount of space/quality setting, the DVD recorder TiVos have worse picture quality than standalone Series 2s. I've only played w/a Pioneer DVD recorder unit a bit at CES and found it looked bad. It seems like for PQ: Series 1 SA > Series 2 SA > Series 2 SA DVD recorder combo.

12. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    From what I understand about the SA DT unit, it's dual tuner in a different way than D-TiVos. If all you have is standard cable, no STB required to unscramble channels, you're good to go. If you have extended cable, then you have to have a STB and you can't use 2 STBs. For a D-TiVo, all the channels in the package you sub to are available for both tuners.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Still requires a regular DirecTV receiver if you want to use it with DirecTV. I prefer using a standalone DVD recorder with my DirecTV DVRs. Yes, it is a realtime analog transfer, but the results are very good. the main benefit is the dual tuners.

14. SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    so instead of changing the hard drives out i could hook up the sa i have as is...

wow..

15. SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    ok, so i'm setting this up...

it is dialing right now...

do i have to pay anything...

can't believe i have had these sa's sitting in the garage for over a year thinking they were worthless...

16. SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    looks like i have to pay...

17. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Wo do u have to pay DTV or Tivo?

18. SuperZippy

SuperZippy Instigator

Feb 11, 2002
    Southern...
    not sure, the screen says to contact tivo...

so i assume them..

i'm surprised they don't give a deal for paying for the whole year at once...

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you have to sub a standalone, if it is not a Series 1 that came formt he factory with 1.3 or is a Toshiba or Pioneer branded DVD combo.

You can take the HDD from a standalone and use it in a DirecTV DVR, but you need to treat the drive as blank, there is no software or recodings useable on another model DVR.

20. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    I am sure if its tivo they want the $$$$ I think they do have a one year deal "" can't win them all" The reason I started this is because Comp usa had the 80 hour(series 2) tivo on sale for $29 bucks.
    But I will have to think hard about those Tivo fees! They want a one year commit!