SSD or HDD for Tivo Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Yamboo45, May 11, 2020.

1. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I know HDD's are Cheaper, But would it be worth it putting a SSD in a Tivo Roamio, or would it kill the drive from constantly writing to it? I don't imagine there will be much of a speed improvement (other than maybe recording faster) and i doubt there's a way to get a clear picture.

2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Dvrs constantly write to a drive and that will shorten the life of a SSD. SSDs can die without warning. There is no real advantage to using an SSD in a dvr at this point, especially with the large HDDs available at relatively inexpensive drives.
    Why don't they use solid state drives in DVRs? - The Solid Signal Blog
    Why don’t they use solid state drives in DVRs?

dishrich and cwerdna like this.
  3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    One thing to think about is that recording things faster doesn't happen with linear TV. If the drive can keep up with the max use of recording 6 separate channels, watching a recorded program, and 4 Minis watching recorded programs, then a faster drive won't do much.

The best savings a SSD *could* do is heat and power savings. The power savings is probably negated by the additional cost of the SSD.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the OS is on flash storage, not the hard drive, in a Roamio. Don't think an SSD would help.