SSD - Current State?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by TivoRocks193, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jul 4, 2019 #1 of 64
    TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok, this is an old question, but the only posts I can find on it are 3, 5, even 7-years old. Ignoring the question of why you would do so (and the obvious problems of writing too much to an SSD with limited writes - although I'm sure 10 people will state it), Does anyone *currently* use an SSD with their TiVo bolt?

You can get a 4TB for $500 and a 2TB for under $300 (both Samsung) so the prices of SSDs is no longer a major issue.

I know a lot people say "dont do it" but I'm asking the people who have already done it. Did it work? Did it die after X number months? Was it a lot cooler? I've noticed my Bolt can run *very* hot at times. Any recommended drives or tools?

2. Jul 4, 2019 #2 of 64
  3. Jul 4, 2019 #3 of 64
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am in the "not recommended" camp, but as a way to get a cooler Bolt, it would be about 199th on my list of improvements to try first.
    The easiest way to help the amazingly designed Bolt series is to simply put almost anything under the 4 corners to raise the Bolt up, another easy thing is to just remove the cable card cover, and if those won't work to get your temperature down, just try a USB laptop cooler powered by one of the Bolt's USB ports.
    PS. If you really think that spending $300-500 makes using an SSD no longer a major issue please do so and then you can be one of the folks who come back periodically and report your progress.

compuguy, sender_name and aaronwt like this.
  4. Jul 4, 2019 #4 of 64
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Ya I just put metal condiment cups under the corners.

Easy cooling mod?

5. Jul 5, 2019 #5 of 64
    TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    No, I'm not recommending upgrading to SSD for cooling reasons, that would be silly. I just meant has anyone installed a 2TB/4TB SSD in their TiVo Bolt? Did it work? Did it die after X amount of time? Performance better/faster than HDD? Any issues? Common temps?

While $300/$500 might seem a lot, a few years ago some HDD had those prices. And SSD of that size were ridiculously expensive.

6. Jul 5, 2019 #6 of 64
    Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    1TB SSDs are cheap enough now (<$100) to make them attractive as an upgrade for 500GB Bolts, only question is reliability. The power saving Tivo mode should help with that (no idle recording), but I've read that it's buggy and causes problems...

Re: heat, an SSD will if anything use more power than an HD. Not that it matters, both are low power (<3W) and not a major factor in cooling the Bolt.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  7. Jul 5, 2019 #7 of 64
    TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    My question as well. I'm surprised on this forum there aren't more people who've taken the plunge with some Samsung SSDs and tried it out. Everyone seems very risk adverse.

8. Jul 5, 2019 #8 of 64
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Article from 2017 and SSD prices are way lower than what they were two years ago: Using SSDs in DVRs - in Koherence

I wonder if the Tivo knows how to perform trim on the SSD.

9. Jul 5, 2019 #9 of 64
    Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Drives are normally always full (including deleted but recoverable stuff) though.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  11. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
  12. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Not sure where this information is coming from but everything I have ever read indicates that an SSD will use LESS power and run cooler than a standard hard drive.

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    In fact, there have been a few folks who have raised the issue of using an SSD on Bolt's from time to time including the link already posted, but I would suggest that the reason most folks have not tried using SSD's even with their declining prices has little if anything to do with "being risk adverse." The primary benefit of SSD's over standard hd's is speed, and time and again the extremely competent folks in the upgrade forum have pointed out that the 5400 rate hard drives are more than adequate for any and all functions needed on a Tivo DVR and have actively recommended against using even the 7200 rate hard drives as they will likely just increase heat and power use with zero functional benefit.
    Although heat and additional power issues are absent with SSD's, the fact that SSD's basically have a limited/fixed number of read/write cycles and that is counter indicated in an application like a DVR which is reading/writing to the hard drive 24/7.
    The available facts would seem to indicate that it is not "risk adversity" which has impeded the use of SSD's in the Tivo DVR's but just simple good judgment.
    PS. Please do by all means try one of those "cheap" SSD's if you have the inclination and then you can come back and post all the benefits you find over the following months.
    I would not encourage you to upgrade to the newest Tivo software aka Hydra/Mira however.

compuguy and jakerock like this.
  14. SullyND

SullyND L: 17-23 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The current state? Solid.

SSD = Solid State Drive

compuguy and Mikeguy like this.
  15. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    The fact that I come on the forum and everya
    The fact that I come on the forum and nearly everyone's response is "you shouldn't do that, but none of us have tried" or better yet "you go try for us and let us know" is a pretty big indication that everyone here is pretty risk adverse. I'm just surprised more people haven't given it a shot. Many of the HDD vs SSD threads are almost a decade old now. There seems to be a lot of fear around using an SSD, someone above even posting an pseudo-academic study, but very few people who've just said "screw it, I'll try an SSD".

Given the rapidly failing prices of SSD, the lower heat/power (esp with Bolt which is an oven), and the general (non-TiVo specific) drastic performance increase in using SSDs, I'm surprised tons of people haven't installed them.

Also, since TiVo discontinued the 3TB Bolt because the HDD they were using was discontinued, and now only makes a 1TB Bolt due to lack of replacement... it's a good indication we're all going to have to switch to SSD in the future. Maybe the Arris TiVo will use SSD.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    What always has dissuaded me is, the SSD limited write-over issue--it seems to be a real barrier for a device like a TiVo box. In contrast, my Series 2 TiVo has 10+ years with its original hard drive. And then, of course, there's the cost difference.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I see that $1k 7.7TB SSD is rated for a whopping 17600TB TBW:eek::eek:!! Based on that it shouldn't have an issue in a TiVo. Heck even some of the Samsung SSDs have lasted over 800TB TBW. But 17,600TB TBW takes it to another level.
    If there was a huge benefit to having an SSD in a TiVo, I would have installed one many years ago to try out. But even a slow 5400rpm platter drives has zero issues reading/writing twelve HD streams in a TiVo. But if I had a bunch of spare cash, and I still used my TiVos like I did a few years ago, I would be all over this Micron 7.7TB SSD in a TiVo, for all that extra storage space.

EDIT: I see the OP in that thread used an earlier version of the Micron SSD I looked at . I couldn't find the TBW spec for that one. But it also costs a few hundred less than the $1k one I looked at .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  18. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Or, you have a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm quite happy with my Roamio and its, according to some, pathetically slow hard drive and processor. If I do ever feel the need for speed there is the Bolt with a faster processor and just around the corner the Edge with, I assume a faster processor. All those engineers at Tivo are unaware of SSDs? No, it does nothing for the customer experience so they don't include it.

kpeters59 likes this.
  19. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, I'm not adverse to risk when there is GAIN. There is no performance gain for using a SSD. Box might run cooler, but a cheap fan solves that issue.

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    SSD current state? I'd say Solid as always.

What I absolutely love about them besides the price is that when they die, everything on them is totally unrecoverable. Great choice for reading/writing video files 24x7 and realizing zero performance gain at all. Also, why spend $50 on a 1TB drive when you can spend at least twice that and do it at least 4 times as often.

DocNo likes this.