SQLite for Series 1

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by spitfires, Aug 31, 2011.

1. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I'm surprised no-one has done this before - or maybe they have and I just couldn't find it. Anyway I've compiled SQLite for the Series 1 TiVo. I've also written a set of procedures for accessing it.

Download:
    Here (file is too big for this forum)

Installation:
    1) Unzip the package and FTP the 2 files (ensure your ftp program uses "binary" mode for BOTH files) to /var/tmp
    installsqlite.sh
    installsqlite.tar

2) Telnet to your tivo and run
    cd /var/tmp
    ./installsqlite.sh

Documentation:
    See the sqlite3.itcl script

Example:
    I've used it in a TWP 2.1 addition over here.

sqlite homepage - http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html

(Searchwords: SQL MySQL SQLite database )

2. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Wow. I'm impressed TiVo has enough processing power to do this.

3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    SQLite is very efficient - doesn't seem to use much resources at all (certainly way less than Tivoweb/TivoWebPlus I think) :up:

I haven't tried a complex database structure yet but for simple tables and indexes it runs sweet. :)

4. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sweeter than the built in TCL stuff?

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Oh :( I wasn't aware the TiVo tcl had TDBC SQL connectivity? Or do you mean something else?

6. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It doesn't have any SQL stuff, but its internal list handling is very powerful, and can be used for most purposes.

7. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Ah yes I see what you mean. I just fancied using a proper relational database - it's nice to able to retrieve all the data you want with just *one* query (rather than e.g. all those pesky [dbobj] calls proliferating everywhere).

Plus of course it is compiled and so somewhat faster than using an interpreter/bytecode :up:

I think it opens whole new possibilities for data (e.g EPG) storage and management. Or maybe not ;)

8. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    TCL lists are all in memory, SQLite could potentially have much larger on disk databases,
    bit of a "solution waiting for a problem" though?

9. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I prefer to see it as an 'enabler' rather than a "solution". If there are things you want to do with a TiVo which you couldn't do before due to lack of a proper database system, then now you are able to do them.

E.g. I have loaded the RT xmltv data into a sql database on my TiVo - no need for an external data server!