Spring Texas

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by blue53052, Jun 21, 2007.

1. blue53052

blue53052 New Member

Jun 18, 2007

Advertisements

I live in Spring Texas and have some questions about hooking tivo to Charter communications cable company cable box.........please if you live in spring texas and have a tivo and cable let me know if all works for you........THANKS

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    blue53052,

I think you will find that Spring Texas isn't the only place the cable box you have is used. If you outline what all your equipment is (model numbers etc.) and what problems you are having you could get helpful answers from people all over the country.

Good Luck,

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Yeah, Blue.

Most cable boxes, if not all, can be used with TiVo.

You feed the cable output into the TiVo instead of into the TV.

You set up your TiVo by identifying your local cable company and your level of service, if you have a cable box, and if so what type of box you have.

The TiVo will need to control the cable box where channel changes are concerned, and so it has to know what type of box you have to identify which control codes it should use.

The TiVo can control the box by two different means. One's a "serial cable" that plugs into the back of the TiVo, with the other end plugging into the back of certain cable or satellite boxes. It's a hard wire connection, so very little chance of bad channel changes happening because of the box "misunderstanding" the command.

Unfortunately, not many boxes will work and play nice with the serial cable.

That leaves the other option, an "IR blaster" or "emitter".

You also plug this into the back of the TiVo, and the other end, sort of like a flashlight, gives off the same type of invisible pulses a remote control would give off.

You put the blaster in a spot where the cable box can "see" the IR flashes, and when the TiVo tells the box to change channels, it does.

Usually.

Sometimes for different reasons the signal is misunderstood by the cable box, and you get "Nova" on PBS instead of "The King of Queens". (The box changed to the wrong channel.)

The best thing to do if you see this happen is build a "fort" for your cable box. Put it into an enclosure where no light can reach it, but at the same time try to make sure it has some ventilation. Put the blaster in there too, in a spot where the pulses from it will be seen by the cable box's sensor.

Your channel changes, controlled by the TiVo, will be as accurate as possible.

4. siemrock4

siemrock4 New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Thanks, just applied for mine.

5. keenanknight

keenanknight New Member

Aug 13, 2004

Advertisements

Hey Blue,

I've got 2 Humax Tivo's with Comcast in Spring Texas.

I use the IR blasters with mine fine with no problems.

The Old Motarola boxes Comcast/Time Warner gives out are a bit of a pain but they do work. My other tivo is hooked up to the HD Comcast box and works great changing channels very easily.

Let me know you if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Keenan

6. musika

musika New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    thanks for this info