Spotify woes (No sound)

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by netw0rks, Nov 17, 2015.

1. netw0rks

netw0rks New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I was having problems with no sound in the Spotify app. On a hunch, I decided to disable Dolby in the main system settings (back to PCM) and that worked. This is obviously not good, as I lose Dolby decoding on everything else.

I assume this is the same for everyone, but I find it odd that other apps still work. Perhaps just a problem with the app. :mad::thumbsdown:

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I can't use Spotify on the Bolt. It says I need a premium account to use it.

I have no problem with Pandora.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. Dec 4, 2015 #3 of 13
    Trunk_Monkey

Trunk_Monkey New Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I'm new to Tivo and just hooked it up last night. It was mostly trouble-free, including setting up and logging into apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Spotify.

However, just like you, my Spotify has no sound. I didn't try switching to PCM, though. Oddly enough, while I was perplexed with having no audio, I started a song over from the beginning and had audio for the full song. When it was over and a new song started, it went back to no audio.

Restarting songs never worked again. I'm back to silence in Spotify. Hoping it is just a bug that can be fixed in the app.

TM

4. Dec 4, 2015 #4 of 13
    netw0rks

netw0rks New Member

Sep 18, 2013
    It's definitely a bug. Works every time with PCM. They just need to fix the app to send stereo over DD.

5. Dec 7, 2015 #5 of 13
    Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    If I run Spotify, the system will freeze and reboot within ten songs.

Bonanza

6. mcygan13

mcygan13 New Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I had the same problem with no audio on Spotify. I had my optical from TiVo directly to my soundbar. When i re-wired and ran the audio through HDMI to TV, then optical from TV to soundbar... viola! Hope this helps.

But now, my Spotify stops playing music every 2-3 songs. I have to hit play again, and it's good for another couple songs before stopping again. Can anyone help me with this one?

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I have the same problem with a Roamio Pro.

Also the cast feature doesn't work with the iOS app. It launches Spotify, but won't connect.

Edit

I found a work around for the no sound problem with Dolby enabled. Hide the video window (press slow) before launching Spotify. The problem seems to be if Dolby is playing when Spotify is launched, so I'm assuming tuning to a stereo channel would work too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  8. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    I signed up for Spotify Premium as they had a deal for 3 months for 99 cents. I signed in with the Tivo app and didn't get any sound at all. I went back and tried Pandora and it works just fine.

I've got my Tivo connected to my soundbar via optical as well. I'll go back and check the audio setting to see if they're set at PCM or DD. I'll post back later.

Changing to PCM fixed the sound issue. Later on I'll let it run for a good while and see what happens.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Interesting, I wonder if this is related to the changes they made to reduce the audio interruption for the preview window when going to TiVo Central etc.

Scott

10. JoE 15

JoE 15 Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Just wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same problem. Works fine on PCM, but no sound on Dolby.

11. MichaelCiv

MichaelCiv New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I stick to itunes Match, but sadly no integration to other non apple services

12. ejking

ejking New Member

May 5, 2011
    SOLVED: I had this same problem. Switched audio to PCM only, then launched Spotify and played music (successfully). Then switched back to Dolby to get surround back and Spotify just continued to work in Dolby.

Although I do have to hit next every 2-3 songs to continue playback like some people are also experiencing.

13. kurtw47

kurtw47 New Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I did the PCM thing in Audio and it works well on Bolt. I does not work on the Minis. They get intermittent sound. This is obviously a bug. I contacted Tivo and they gave me a lame answer and told me to contact Spotify. I give up. I will cancel Spotify and use Pandora.