Spotify on Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by aadam101, Jul 26, 2011.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Tivo just asked users on Facebook if they would like to see Spotify on Tivo.

These people really have a nerve. The majority of people are saying no and that they need to fix the issues that currently exist with the Premiere.

I can't think of any other product where users regularly tell the company NOT to add new features. Hello Tivo? Are you listening?

2. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    We already have rhapsody which is very similar. Seems like a lot of people are complining about adding new features to the tivo HD. The premiere has been out for awhile, and tivo just needs to work on it. They dont need to do anymore upgrades to hd IMHO.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's not just the HD that bothers me. My biggest gripe are the poor Netflix and Amazon apps. To me, those are most important.

Whatever you want to see changed, I think most of us are in agreement that they can stop trying to add new things for a bit until they get their current issues worked out.

4. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wouldn't mind seeing Spotify on TiVo, but I would rather seeing the Netflix and Amazon apps updated for sure.

Right now, I exclusively use my Roku XDS box for Netflix and Amazon. The experience on the Roku is so much better than it is on TiVo.

I would love it if TiVo would fix these. TiVo's Pandora app is awesome. I want that level of quality for the other apps.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Agreed 100%. The thing about this is - Tivo only works on what gets them a press release and / or another sticker on the box. Seriously.

They also have a well-entrenched mentality that once they've developed something, it should be more or less sufficient and they don't really plan to touch it again.

Combine the above with Tivo "asking" if customers want Spotify, plus Spotify being the "hot new thing right now" means that in 6-9 months (if we're lucky!) we'll see a Spotify client on Tivo - and the odds are extremely high that there will be NO updates to Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Rhapsody, Hulu+, Youtube or anything else.

Just the facts...

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Lets be honest if TiVo actually wants to compete as the "one box" solution they pretty much need:
    1. Their box to be stable and working correctly.
    2. Everything you can get on a Roku, Boxee Box, or Apple TV available on their box.
    3. Their individual apps to be as good as any other devices individual apps.
    4. An apps store.
    Given all the cash they have seems like they could do the above is they wanted to.

Thanks,

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    5. To be agile and quick to improve and update software.

Which is where I think ultimately fans of TiVo have been upset. When TiVo first came along, there were lots of updates. We got bug fixes and major new features. Recently TiVo has gotten more bugs, more lag, less updates, and few new features.

8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    do any premium music services support higher than 128kbps on tivo? pandora; rapsody ect.. If spotify premium supports 320 kbps on tivo, that would be great! I know 320 kbps is supported on squeezebox. Tivo and squeezebox premium pandora users have thus far been denied higher bitrate advantages that PC users enjoy.

9. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    Well, since those of us who use Rhapsody on Tivo have been deprived of that "privilege" for the last 2 weeks because Rhapsody made changes to their systems that required changes to Tivo's Rhapsody app which have not been completed successfully, I'd say "HELL NO...FIX RHAPSODY FIRST!" But, then again, there's so much for Tivo to fix...

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    In terms of hardware, how much more costly is a Tivo box compared to a Roku? I realize Tivo has a hard drive but the cost of a hard drive is much lower than it used to be. Why such a high price compared to the $99 Roku?

11. jwagner010

jwagner010 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    In order to do (2) they need to be DLNA compliant which they refuse to do as they continue to stick with the closed system. And we all know what eventually happens to tech companies that go with the walled garden approach.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    First, why would I want Spotify on my Tivo? I went to the website but didn't read much beyond "search for and get any song you want". I can get the music I want from Pandora or *shudder* Rhapsody. I can get music videos from Music Choice.

If Spotify is just "the next best thing", I'm afraid by the time TiVo could get it added, it will have just been a passing fad. :p

13. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I'm looking for a high bitrate music provider. if tivo can do spotify at 320 kbps like squeezebox can ill be very interested. pandora and napster max out on tivo i believe at 128 kbps. don't know about rapsody.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have no idea how much the hard ware costs Tivo compared to Roku, but we do no that at current price points tivo has not been able to turn a real profit. I have always assumed it was a volume problem and that the fix costs of hardware were not that much but either way the results have not been good financially.

15. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Spammer?

16. ohmark

ohmark Member

May 22, 2007
    Fix Rhapsody first! Rhapsody no longer works on Tivo, hasn't for weeks, and Tivo either isn't capable of fixing it, or doesn't care. Why add new apps when Tivo can't fix the old?

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's a little of both.

18. S Schultz

S Schultz New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Tacoma
    Just cancelled Rhapsody service today. Tired of it not working on Tivo. Spotify would be great if it streamed on Tivo. I'd probably upgrade from the free service to the paid service!

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I can't possibly imagine it's cheaper (or easier) to build a whole new Spotify app then to just fix Rhapsody......

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I look at Spotify as being the same as Hulu Plus on TiVo. It's going to be a new app that over time..... No one will use.