Spotify App is here

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by mikerr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Spotify App has appeared on TiVo now
    (a day before its offical launch date of 29th)

• Needs a spotify premium account ( £9.99 a month) - but I already have one
    • can select your account playlists (created on other devices/PC)
    • you can explore an artist, but no text search yet
    • you can star tracks, which will show up in playlists
    • only plays in the app ( as all apps do - I was sort of hoping for background music in menus...)

On with the screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kandinsky

kandinsky New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Does it do the ad supported version?

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  4. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

Jan 31, 2011
    London
    This is a superb app. It's a music lovers dream. Don't forget it's available free for six months for customers on certain plans.:)

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Six months free spotify for XL and above customers who take out/extend a 12 month contract:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    No search, so no way of playing something that isn't already in a playlist*.. and it's *really* slow when you have over 100 playlists like I do.

The lack of search alone probably makes it of limited use for me - I use spotify to discover music not just play the stuff I've heard before.

Audio quality is quite good though.

* Well, nearly.. there's a browse at the track level that'll show you other tracks by an artist - but then no way of assigning them to playlists.. it's all very disjointed.

7. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

Jan 31, 2011
    London
    Most Spotify fans will already have their playlists set up and when you want to search or add more you simply have a choice of doing it on your computer or your mobile device. Simple! Just consider the TiVo app as mainly a player of all of your music that you have researched on an other device. After all non VM subscribers are paying the same amount for a premium account and have no way of playing their music other than a computer or mobile device.

8. Dec 3, 2011 #8 of 13
    passingbat

passingbat New Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Simply stupid.

Why should you have to use a second device; everything you need should be on the device you are using.

I had a look at the Sony music service on my Blueray player and that has a search function; they don't expect you to use other devices to do it.

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 13
    beara

beara challenging fiddler

Aug 23, 2002
    Hertford
    I've just tried to load it, an after signing in, it's causing a reboot if I touch the 'up' key :-(

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

10. yerksha puddin

yerksha puddin New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Reading,...
    I can't use it because it doesn't have a screen saver. This means that the screen display stays more-or-less static for the duration. I'm worried that this might lead to burn-in (old fashioned CRT TV). :(

11. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    yeah I like how the Tivo music player moves the album art around and majority of the screen is black so it's not a concern then. Curious about this Spotify, I would like to try it on the Tivo.

Where is this showing up, sorry I do not see it. Is this not in the states yet?

Thanks,
    Shane

12. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    That would be why this thread is in the 'Virgin Media TV with TiVo - UK' forum. :)

13. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    yep, I 1st Searched for Spotify so it didn't jump out @ me at first... :cool:

Coming to the US anytime soon?