SportsNet New York - Will it be on D*?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RMSko, Mar 14, 2006.

1. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on whether it is likely that D* will work out a deal to carry this station before the beginning of this year's MLB season?

2. whalerfan

whalerfan Let's go Whalers!

Nov 9, 2004
    There have been a few posts both in this forum and dbsforums but I've heard nothing yet. Looking forward to a great Mets season (I hope).

3. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Me too, but it won't be too great if we can't watch the games!

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Of course they will. 99% of the rest of the world is chomping at the bit to pay for a NYC-centric sports channel peppered with SD shows about fat f*cks playing celebrity poker, especially since they already have at least two of them, East coast SPorts Network HD and East coast SPorts Network HD2. It makes perfect sense that a DBS vendor severely strapped for bandwidth would consider putting on a channel that the rest of the country couldn't give two hammered sh*ts about. Take a deep breath and hold it.

5. Ivan1670

Ivan1670 New Member

Mar 3, 2004

Advertisements

OUCH :eek:

6. hancox

hancox New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Oh fine, but god forbid they take away YOUR FSAZ away, and the fury will come, right? Or, am I guessing right that you're not a sports fan at all? Either way, I'll show you where you can stick those 2 "hammered sh*ts" :)

7. lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    There are two issues involved.

First is the FCC rules (or it might be federal law, but either way:) that compell producers to make their signal available. Simply, the rules says that if the producer distributes their feed to outlets (cable providers, etc) via satellite thant hey must make the feed available to the DTH satellite (DirecTV, DISH, etc). Comcast Sports Philly distributes their feed to the various outlet via landline or wireless, which is how they avoid having to make their station available to DirecTV/DISH.

Second is whether the provider--in this case DirecTV--chooses to add the station, which I think they will, because they have a lot of customers in the Mets region.

8. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    I'm willing to bet that D* does add this channel, at least in SD (I'm not even sure if it's going to be offerred in HD).

9. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Here's their web site. I haven't read anything that indicates that there will be any HD broadcasts imminent. Based on all the local publicity that went on around YES, and the number of people that left Cablevision to go to DTV, when Cablevision didn't initially carry YES, I would imagine that DTV will certainly pick it up. Otherwise they face the same backlash that benefitted them greatly 2 years ago...

10. cmeinck

cmeinck Member

Sep 18, 2003
    My understanding is that it will be broadcast in HD - Comcast is the co-owner of the network if I'm correct. I cannot imagine the Mets launching a non-HD channel when the Yankees have YESHD. I bet D* rotates games on a high 90's channel in the NY area for HD.

11. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You're right about the 90's. I sent an email to DTV asking when they will post the MLB Schedule for 2005 and in partciular when the YES-HD schedule would be up, and here's their reply. I was actually surprised at the "depth" of the response, even if it was "canned". (Note: I added the emphaisis below.)

12. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    :D I am a sports fan, but that's completely beside my point, which is that HD on DBS is not a niche service, and probably won't be for some time. Just one more reason why local cable kicks their ass. Reality bites, doesn't it?

Don't presume for a second that I might be hypocritical. Maybe I am, and maybe I'm not. You don't know me and you haven't earned that right. I'd love it if DTV put up an HD channel with all of my favorite esoteric shows that nobody else watches, but I'm realistic enough to assume that won't happen and I think it's probably bad form to fantasize about it on a forum that is supposed to be about something completely different.

But I guess you have a perfect right to have a chip on your shoulder about the reality of HD on DBS, just like I have a right to be upset if DTV squanders HD bandwidth on limited-appeal channels. Just don't shoot the messenger. And don't forget, there are no hammered sh*ts to stick, because nobody has yet to give them.

I'll go take a Midol if you will :).

13. bosny

bosny New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Time is ticking and we are getting cloder to opening day. ANy word yet on coverage on DTV? If I get the baseball package will that show any games or will i be restricted to nationally televised games? I need my METS!!!!!

14. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Nothing but rumor and speculation. Nothing official yet -- on Mike and the Mad Dog, it was heard that it will be done in time for opening day and on 625. Nothing about HD...

I've seen postings on this on the DirecTV w/ TiVo and Happy Hour forum, the AVS forum and the satellite guys forum, no one has anything official yet...

Anxiously waiting... If they don't pick up the HD feed and show it in the 90s like they do for YES, I'm going to be seriously upset...

15. hancox

hancox New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Satelliteguys.us has a report of it showing up on 625 "upcoming" in the guide At work, so can't verify, but there you go...

16. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Yes, 625 is showing up as RSNa - SportsnetNY. And they just added guide data for Monday's game (nothing before or after, for whatever that's worth). No guide data in the 90s for an HD version of the game...

17. mheller7

mheller7 New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Does anyone else have confirmation of this?? I called DirecTV and spoke with a supervisor and checked the DirecTV web site and there is no indication that any deal was done. According to DirecTV negotiations are still ongoing.

18. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    The game is in the Guide on Channel 625. However, according to today's papers, no deal is done, discussions are ongoing and they still hoping to get something done in time for the game. My assumptions is that it's in the Guide in case they do get something done and they can just "turn on" the feed...

With 2 1/2 hours left, I'm not optomistic that I'll be seeing the game today...

19. ElVee

ElVee I have an old sumo

Feb 20, 2002
    Bethpage, NY
    I'm at work and can't check.

Can anyone who's reading this from home change to channel 625 and tell us if anything is on? Pre-game show? Test pattern? Anything?

If so, can you check the HD channels to see if something is scheduled as well?

Would greatly appreciate it.

Let's go Mets!

20. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    Still in the Guide on 625 as "Upcoming" at 1 PM. But just black screen on the station...

Nothing in the 90s for HD.

I'll post an update at 1 PM...