Splitting Sat Signal for both TiVo Tuners

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mbean, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mbean

mbean New Member

Jul 22, 2007

Advertisements

I have been searching all day and cannot seem to find and exact answer to this.

I have round dual LNB dish with a single coax wire running from it. I purchased a splitter and a non-powered multiswitch to handle the two lines in.

On the splitter I took two lines from there and hooked them to each of the LNB connections on the multiswitch.

I test and setup all works well. I do get some errors in guided setup about not being able to access all the channels but it lets me finish the setup.

Ok, now I am able to use both tuners, but from time to time I lose signal on either of the tuners. I noticed this when one is in use for recording. If I run a system test I am showing the signal is lost on one input. I think run a signal test and it shows both signals are in the 80 - 90 range. I then go back and both inputs are working again.

If seems like everytime I get the Searching for Sat. signal, all I have to do is test the signal strength and all starts working again.

I have also noticed that when I lose signal, it does not affect all the changels, just a select few.

I have swapped wires around and still same problem which switches to either tuner.

Can anyone tell me if I have hooked it up correctly or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Nope, that won't work. You cannot use RF splitters with satellite signals due to DC switching signals used to control the various transponders.

Verify that your dish has only one coax output. Most of the 18" dishes had one LNB with two coax outputs. You would then connect both of those LNB outputs to the 2 multiswitch inputs. If your dish's LNB is so old that it only has one coax output, then you'll need to upgrade the dish.

3. mbean

mbean New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    This splitter I am using specifies it is made for Sat. and as a 12V DC powerpass for Sat.

The diagrams on the package show one input and 4 outputs. It shows you can take each of the out puts and hook them to a multi switch. I took two of the outputs and hooke one to the LNB A and one to the LNB B inputs on the multiswitch.

When I run the sat. auto config it detects both LNB's and I get strong signal on od and even TP. So something must be working. I read somewhere I needed a powered multiswitch for long cable runs which I have. This might explain why I get both tuners and other times I do not. Even on the channels I get no sat signal, all I do it test sat signal strength and both come in and then I go back to the same channel and it works.

The splitter I am using is made by Phillips. It is a SDW5012/17.

Mike

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Passing power is not the issue. The receiver's tuner has to select the polarization for the LNB, and it can pick only one at a time. What you have is two tuners fighting for control of the LNB.

With today's typical satellite setups, splitters just don't work. DirecTV is beta testing a new method called SWM (Single Wire Multiplexing or something like that). With this, and a compatible receiver, you CAN use a splitter (though for the purpose of DirecTV receivers which support SWM, you don't have to - one connection feeds both tuners.) When this becomes the norm, wiring for satellite will become a WHOLE lot easier.

5. mbean

mbean New Member

Jul 22, 2007

Advertisements

I understand what your saying. The how do the multiswitches work for the multiple receiver connections?

Thanks!

6. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
  7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Multiswitches need one feed from the dish per polarity per satellite. Each is fixed by the multiswitch to the one signal, by feeding the one control signal for that satellite/polarity, and the receiver selects that signal in the multiswitch by the control signal.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #8 of 14
    Rhughes

Rhughes New Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Dewey, AZ, USA
    Did anything ever come regarding the SWM? My daughter wants to install her DirecTivo's in a new house, but there is no way to get two coax to each location. Dish can run two tuners on one coax. Was hoping DirecTV would be able to soon.

9. Dec 8, 2007 #9 of 14
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    As far as I know, SWM is still in beta test, but I think it should be "out" soon. I suggest asking at dbstalk.com to see if there is more recent info. I'd love to have SWM myself as it would allow me to repurpose one of my four coax runs to OTA.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Also, only the latest DirecTV receivers can utiliuze the SWM signal.

11. Rhughes

Rhughes New Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Dewey, AZ, USA
    Thanks Jim and Steve. She signed up with Costco to get two HD DVR's and two HD receivers only to find out when the installer got there that the builder didn't install the second coax from the smart box like he did on most of his houses (to save money :confused:) We even had the smart box company come out to see if they could do anything. Would have been major sheetrock repairs on a brand-new million-dollar house. The plan was to remove the two HD receivers and put her two DirecTivo's in their place giving her two HD DVR's and two SD DirecTivo's. Costco would only do a four receiver install if you got four new receivers.

So then we sucked it up and signed up with Dish Network, but after the order was finished, I asked one last time for the exact equipment that would be installed. The CSR said it would be one HD DVR, one SD DVR and two HD receivers. I said it had to be two HD DRV's minimum and she said Dish policy is only one HD DRV per house. I'm surprised they are still in business. I guess my daughter is destined to watch cable until D* has a one-coax solution.

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My dad went through this as well - Dish won't provide more than one HD DVR to new customers, but you can get an additional one after you have been a customer for a while (not free.)

I think SWM is nearing release - haven't seen indications of new beta tests.

13. Rhughes

Rhughes New Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Dewey, AZ, USA
    Thanks again Steve. I will keep an eye out for SWM. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

The CSR I talked to at Dish said they did make an exception a while back for a guy that had been a customer for seven years. Don't think she wants to wait that long! :)

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I think "a while" in this case is a month or two.