Splitting Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gelbers, Sep 28, 2007.

1. gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003

Advertisements

Last night i had a directv tech over and he said they are currently testing a device that will allow you to have dual tuner functionality with only one coax line going into the reciever. I think it is only on the new recievers and not tivo, but does anyone have any info on this? He said it shoul dbe out soon

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    It's called a Single Wire Multiswitch SWM. Check out www.dbstalk.com for more info. AFAIK they are in testing.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    And no, at present you can't get one just by asking for it. I wish. Note that this requires specific DirecTV receivers that support SWM and none of the TiVos do. However, the SWM module does have so-called legacy outputs for use with other receivers; these each require their own cable.

4. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    The last we heard, the Single Wire Multiswitch roll-out was slated by year-end.

I have been testing a SWM8 since last spring. Before SWM was released for national testing I know they went through a series of internal tests. But the only way to find out what will happen in the real world with the new satellite is to test in the real world with the new satellite.

There are now 6 test groups totaling close to 100 configurations. I don't know of a problem. The test groups range from the very simple to very complex and everything in between. It is still to early to have a definitive answer but I have not heard of one problem this week with SWM working with the new satellite.

A SWM8 allows you to distribute signals to up to 8 tuners (any combination of H20, H21, or HR20) from one RG6 cable plus separate cables runs to up to 3 legacy tuners. My TiVo has two RG6 cables that go to two of the three legacy ports.

Low quality cable such as such as an RG59 or RG6 with a steel center cannot be used in between the SWM module and the dish or the SWM and the Power Inserter. Good quality RG6 cables with good connectors like DIRECTV has been installing for the past couple of years is recommended, especially for the new D10 Ka signals.

In addition, the SWM8 has a port to add in OTA. You still need diplexers to split the OTA signal back out at the receiver. Make sure you choose good diplexers so that you do not reduce the signal more than you have to.

Here are SWM Installation Instructions to show how you might set it up.

- Craig

5. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

Advertisements

From SkyReport.com today

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Why the SWM doesn't support 4 legacy outputs is just plain stupid. If it did, then you could add a 4x8 multiswitch so you could serve more lagacy receivers. I guess DirecTV doesn't want too many legacy receivers left over. In my case the SWM wouldn't work, because I still plan to have at least my HR10 and T60 left active after the HR20 is installed next Thursday.

7. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Jim,

You can use a SWM8 and a Zinwell 6x8 to do exactly what you are suggesting!

If you need more than 8 SWM tuners or 3 legacy tuners they put a SWM8 in parallel with a Zinwell 6x8. That lets them go to up to 8 SWM + 3 legacy + 8 of either for a total of 19 tuners. (EDIT: I can't add!)

Beyond 19 tuners, you almost need a liquor license! :)

Here is a thread showing how diverse the test setups are:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100563

Here was the inital overview:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=78249

Here are some of the discussion threads detailing the results:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=80686
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81489

- Craig

8. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    RS,

I did not know that Sky Report had issued this statement.

I used the article search feature at www.skyreport.com but it cannot find this article.

I also googled "DIRECTV decided to use UHF frequencies" but that quote is not in any article, forum, or news report that google can find today.

Is it possible that this is a user's post on a forum or in their blog? To me there is a big difference between SkyReports (or TiVoCommunity for that matter) issuing a statement and a user making a post on a blog or forum.

Can you give us the link to SkyReport.com's article where they made this statement?

- Craig

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I hadn't thought of using the SWM and a WB68 in parallel using splitters, though I should have :(. But,it would still be simpler if they had just put four legacy ports on the SWM8.

10. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    In parallel you get:
    SWM8+Zinwell 6 x 8 = 8 SWM + 3 Legacy + 8 either = 19 tuners

If they were not in parallel and the Zinwell instead daisy-chained off of the SWM8 legacy ports:

= 8 SWM + no Legacy open + 8 either = 16 tuners

It would be the same amount of hardware either way. Why not get the 3 extra tuner capacity?

Check out the test setups. Some are really creative:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100563

- Craig

11. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

Here's the link Sky Report - SWA comments It's about half way down the page I think.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    That is not the actual report, but a Letter to the Editor by a Arnold Beck.

13. incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    SWM is currently being used in a number of multi-dwelling installations to bring 5LNB capability to multi-dwelling residents. These installs are being done only with DirecTV approval and oversight.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I'm about 99% lost here.

So a simple question, I have a HR20, when this thing comes out I can ultimately not have to run 2 lines into the DVR with this switch?

Thanks

15. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    At present you need Two Feeds to the HR20. You will still need Two Feeds regardless......

What we are talking about is how to get the Feeds from the Sat, to the Multiswitch, to the units :D

16. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    So all I need to do is post something in a blog on SkyReports and then I can post here cite my post as being from Skyreport?

Wouldn't that be like claiming that someone's post in a TiVoCommunity forum as:

"From TiVoCommunity.com today:"

If it is just a reader comment in a blog, shouldn't we say that?

- Craig

17. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    right now I have from sat to multiswitch then out 4 lines

2 go to my living room, and we have 1 cable run across the room, from what I got from this thread that unit will make that 2nd cable in my living room not needed right? I would be able to essentially split that 1 line into 2 from 1 outlet?

18. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    A single RG6 cable could provide signals for:
    + 8 HR20's satellite tuners
    + 8 HR20's OTA tuners

Check out the diagram and it should help it make more sense:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=942535#post942535

- Craig

19. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You forget that four splitters would be needed to run an SWM and WB68 in parallel. And, it really is a moot point for me as I have four runs to my common location in the basement now. I don't need to use the SWM.

BTW, I've been looking at those threads on DBSTalk.

Besides, my head hurts thinking about the different combinations that could be used. :cool:

20. milominderbinder

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    They make my head hurt too!

It is when you see their pictures of their wiring that it really takes your breath away!

- Craig