split Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pbadss, Feb 9, 2011.

1. pbadss

pbadss New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I just purchased a new home and want to install a media/comm closet to house all the equipment. Fortunately, the new home is in an area serviced by Verizon Fios.

Can I run just 1 Coax into the media closet and then split it 4 ways into 3 Tivo boxes w/ cablecard and the 4th into a modem/router?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah. Just make sure you get splitters that work with FiOS. The installer will also have some on his truck.

I did a similar setup in my house. My main drop enters an old closet where I had all the lines run back to. They simply connected the drop via splitter and I have FiOS in every room.

3. rabinny

rabinny New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    The splitters that Verizon Fios uses are the same exact thing as the splitters that cable companies use.

4. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I have FIOS and only one Premiere. Don't forget that you need internet to each Premiere too. Either WiFi or Cat5 cables. WiFi can get expensive and might be slow compared to wire. I needed a couple of $20 ethernet switches to split home CAT5 wiring and used all CAT5 to connect all of my stereo gear. No problems with results except the FIOS supplied router is only 10/100/802.G. (You'd think they'd have better gear!) I'm thinking about adding a Gigabit/N router as an access point to connect the Premiere to my home server to speed up transfers between the server and Premiere and only using the FIOS router out to the internet. Unless I can upgrade the FIOS router to a Gigabit unit and boost everything. Don't know if Verizon has one available.

5. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006

Advertisements

I don't get it. Don't all homes just start with one coax input then get split somewhere in the house? The fact that it's in the media closet is even better. My six way splitter is in my attic. Just make sure that the splitter is at least 1GHz and not the older 800MHz model.

Donald,
    Using a gigabit router isn't going to speed up your connection to the Tivo because the Tivo only has a 100 Mbit card. You should be taking advantage of the MoCA connection with Fios. There are a lot of threads that talk about the speeds of the MoCA connections and how to set them up. I just buy the Actiontec MI-424's from ebay and use them for my MoCA connections.

6. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can also do Moca over the cable runs. That's what I do. The modem provided by FiOS should be Moca-enabled (for talking to STBs, even if you have none).

You can read a lot about it at DSLReports: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

7. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for the point that the Tivo is only 100 mbs port, I forgot that. Regarding FIOS routers, that's what I've got now, but it only supports up to 170mbs and 802.g and I was thinking that the Tivo had a 1000 mbs port. Drat. I've got a Trendnet Gigabit/N router here that I used in our old house and was thinking I'd dig it out to speed up video transfers by spliting the home net into Giga and 100 (170?) bps sections. Getting fancy since I recently purchased a used dual Xeon Intel server and have outfitted it with 4 x 2TB HDD's in Raid setup and will be using it for the home server and video storage. It has a Gigabit port. Too bad Tivo didn't go with the faster port on the Premiere.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The fastest I've seen my Premieres hit is 95mbps. But that is also several times faster than the TiVo HD.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Depends on the age of the home. My house is 30 years old, so I have one point where Time Warner now Brighthouse entered. I then have one point DirecTV entered and ran from and then FiOS was a third entrance and run. Most of my rooms didn't have good runs so everything has been added or patched.

With FiOS I finally organized it all and ripped out what I didn't need anymore since they ended up having to move my ONT when I got FiOS TV.