Split a .tivo file???

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jadams84, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jadams84

jadams84 New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    hello,
    I would like to archive some of my tivo shows on dvd but they (football games) are very large in size (8-10GB). Is there a way or program that can split them up into multiple smaller files? p.s. i dont want to convert them to another type of file or make them playable in a dvd player. just want to burn them to dvd for archival purposes and keep the .tivo extension.
    Thanks

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    google split binary file

3. minidanas

minidanas New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    That's a pertty useless suggestion. OP is talking about splitting a large video file into smaller, playable video files (shorter video segments), to burn on DVD.

I am also looking for a program that can split .tivo files, but unlike OP, I am not going to burn them to DVDs. I want to split the video, discard large chunks that I don't need, and copy the part that I need, back to my tivo. Ideally, it would be something that can work directly on .tivo file (without first converting the video to MPG), also output directly to a .tivo file. Converting back and forth to MPG is a waste of time. Besides, you lose the original metadata, and that makes the video un-groupable in Now Playing List.

Is there a such software?

4. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Might give VideoRedo a try, it seems to be able to load and save .tivo files.

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    videoredo will only process .tivo files if you have tivo desktop installed, or have had it previously installed and have done a partial uninstall. If you do not have or want tivo desktop (like me) that you need to use tivodecode to convert to an mpg file. THEN you can use videoredo (which I recommend) or ANY other video editing program.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I don't think the OP is coming back, since he asked this question over 3 years ago... His easiest bet would have been to use an archive utility like 7-zip (free software) which can span files across different sizes for different volumes. This includes a preset option for DVD.

7. Vect0r

Vect0r Member

Nov 2, 2010
    *Assuming you are on Windows*

1) http://www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-software/index.html Tivo desktop to get the .tivo file from the tivo to your pc. (all you need is the free version)

2) http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivodecode/files/ Tivo decoder so you can remove it from the .tivo container.

3) http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/ ConvertXtoDVD to convert the extracted file to raw DVD files. This process will take the longest, depending on your settings and your system. It will also allow you to set to a single or dual layer DVD. Once you have the raw dvd files, burning is up to you :up: ConvertX is a program you have to pay for, unless you 'look elsewhere for it', not hard to find (if you know what I mean :cool: )

Good luck, hope this helps. PM me if you need any other help.

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006

The OP said they didn't want to convert the files... Just split them for archiving...

9. Vect0r

Vect0r Member

Nov 2, 2010
    AFAIK you cant split a .tivo file. I'ts not a codec, it's a container. In order to do anything with it, it needs to come out of the container first, which results in a MPEG2 file, I believe. Which can then be easily converted to raw dvd files, unless his dvd player will play MPEG2. This would also be the closest to free option to burn to dvd with such large files like he mentions.

*EDIT*- That's like saying you want to split a .mkv file. You would need to get it out of the container first, split it, then re-wrap it in the .mkv container. If there is a different way to do this, please enlighten me because I am obviously doing it wrong :)

10. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Read the post again. The OP doesn't want to be able to play it from a DVD player. The OP only wants to archive the file. Your method does not archive the file, it converts it. The standard way to archive files across media is to put it into a container file (similar to zipping it up, but without compression as compression wouldn't do much for a media file) that can be split across multiple media.