Spinning Blue Wheel Constantly! Once lightning fast Roamio feels like an old Win98 PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dolfer, Jul 13, 2015.

1. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...

Advertisements

I have a new Roamio which was amazing for the first 2 or so months that I had it. Compared to my old Tivo HD it was lightning fast! Even the reboot time was amazing ~ 2 minutes.

However, lately, I am getting a Spinning Blue Wheel when selecting folders and shows. This is driving me crazy!

I am assuming an update caused this issue.

I spoke with Tivo Customer Service who didn't really have any ideas other than to reboot. He says Tivo knows about this. So I hope that is code for "Tivo is scrambling to get a new update out to fix this bug!"

Anyone else have a lightning fast Tivo turn into molasses?

2. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes. Last 4-5 days. I assumed it was because the hard drive was getting filled up, including delete when space needed. That's been my general experience with Tivos forever. I try to force/delete to the point of keeping 20-25% free most of the time.

I personally have never (at least since they were hacked) thought of Tivos as storage devices. Show harvesters and playback from house network

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is an option in the Help->Reboot/Reset section that clears all the guide data but leaves all your recordings and 1Ps. You might want to try that. Maybe some of the data got corrupted. It takes a while to do and you have to wait for it to call in and redownload all the data once it's done, so make sure you do it when nothing is planned to record.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When was the last time your router has been rebooted? Maybe its that time again.

5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

have you tried a (temporary) wired internet connection in troubleshooting to see if the delay improves?

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I know my Roamio has recently started taking forever (with spinning circle) to delete a folder. It used to be quite fast (since all it does is move the directory entries to the deleted items folder, I have no idea why it takes so long).

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A LOT of the features in the UI require a connection to TiVos server, so it could be a slow connection causing the issue.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've noticed this, and also problems with the Search function the past few days; sometimes it's just the Blue Circle, and sometimes it errors out. So I assumed the issue is at the server end...

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    search failed repeatedly for me last saturday (haven't tried since).

10. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    seeing it here, too.

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh yeah, Premiere owners used to have big problems with this a couple of years back. In time the problem went away.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's @!# retarded that going into a folder of shows ON YOUR OWN HARD DRIVE causes a spinny gear..

and if you wait long enough, YOU SOMETIMES GET AN EMPTY LIST..

But I realized yesterday, that instead of going back out and back in (which will cause another spinny gear), you can "just" hit C several times to get back to your recordings..

still lame, and I wish I could turn off MOST of the network integration.

Really, the free space indicator (yes, I am one of those who think it's a VERY necessary thing, though I also realize I can be at 100% and still recording suggestions!! so it's not completely accurate), and nowadays fitting more stuff on the screen at once, are the major benefits of the HD UI. (IIRC, the Roamio could never do the non-HD UI.. and of course the 6 tuners are the greatest benefit, but that's obviously a hardware issue.)

13. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    My connection is via Ethernet cable, not wireless.

I have a 50Mbps connection.

Thanks everyone for feedback. At least I'm not the only one.

14. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    It's definitely a case of bad programming and/or poor server performance from Tivo. Did this start happening to you recently??? I remember my Roamio was lightning fast and then within the past 2 weeks or so I started seeing the Spinning Circle of Slowness more and more often.

15. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    I used to get a lot of the spinning blue wheels until I changed the DNS server from my providers DNS to Google's DNS servers.
    Info here: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

"Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers."

It made a HUGE difference in my case. HUGE! HUUUU-GE! :)

16. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Thanks for the idea Brian but I already use Google's DNS servers. It's configured at my Router to use them.

17. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    You might try changing it at the TiVo itself. Couldn't hurt...and you can put it back if it doesn't make any difference...but if it does...then you've discovered something. I've got both my router and my TiVos set to use Google's DNS. I rarely have spinning blue wheels on my Roamio or two Premieres...but spinning blue wheels are caused by more than just the DNS, so...solving the problem will probably take multiple approaches...

18. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    For the single random data point it's worth, my spinning wheel issue completely disappeared after deleting a bunch of shows to give the system some more breathing room and it has been gone for a day or so now. This is consistent with my history with Tivos.

19. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Perhaps, but the current Issue is definitely a TiVo server issue and even effects the Minis.

20. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    For my case it was the exact opposite. Using Google DNS servers slowed me down quite considerably compared to using my ISP's default ones (confirmed by running DNS speed test programs).