Spectrum Tuning Adapters Quit /Did Tivo Software Change?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ambimom, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Dec 6, 2019 #1 of 10
    Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    I have a Tivo Bolt and Tivo Premiere, each with Spectrum. Each has tuning adapter Cisco STA 1520 and Cable Card Cisco PKM 802. They've been working without issue for years. Then last Thursday at 2 pm, my Tivo flashed "No tuning adapter." I checked. They both went out at same time. I unplugged and rebooted everything two or three times. Still no tuning adapter. The cable card is still working. All the channels come through, but without the tuning adapter, the station is blank.

I've had Spectrum out here. They checked everything. They have no idea why.

Is there a Tivo compatibility issue with these tuning adapters now? Has there been a change in Tivo software? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Dec 6, 2019 #2 of 10
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    have you tried replaccing the tuning adapter?

3. Dec 6, 2019 #3 of 10
    Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Its strange they both went out. There have been recent posts from another member Bearcat2012 I think that has your setup with an edge and it was ok a week ago.

It's almost like something broke on their end or someone came by and put some filter on your line. They shouldn't filter those frequencies though because that's how their boxes communicate as well.

In any case they should bring more tuning adapters or troubleshoot internally why its not working. Any change to Tivo software would have required a reboot and wouldn't just stop working in the middle of the day like that.

4. Dec 6, 2019 #4 of 10
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Sounds like the tuning adapters aren’t activated. 8 flashing lights? I’d imagine it’s a Spectrum problem. You should still be able to get the non-SDV channels without the tuning adapter until they can fix it.

5. Dec 6, 2019 #5 of 10
    Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    The Tivo box diagnostics show the tuning adapter as initializing constantly. The tech these pulses are like none he's seen before. It's more than the typical 8. They stop altogether for a few seconds, start very slowly again, and pulse for I think I counted 15 or 20 times. The theory right now is that the tuning adapters are out of date, but when I spoke to Spectrum this morning about replacements, the replacements are exactly the same model as I have now. They won't be available until Tuesday anyway. The weird part is that the two adapters failed simultaneously after working without issue for years, which means it's a Spectrum issue and I can't be the only one in the country who's experiencing it. My problem is that the right hand of Spectrum doesn't know what the left hand is doing or saying. I won't bore you with the silly odyssey of dealing with the entity that is the Spectrum amoeba.

6. Dec 6, 2019 #6 of 10
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I have Bolts (original issue, old IU) and Spectrum cable. There was that recent update (couple weeks ago? not sure, but not long ago) and I did notice that my Tuning Adapters took a little while to stop blinking after the reboot, but it's been totally fine since.

7. Dec 6, 2019 #7 of 10
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The few times my TAs stopped working out of the blue, Spectrum had either disabled them from their end or removed from my account entirely. So make sure they’re still listed on your account and enabled.

8. Dec 6, 2019 #8 of 10
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Two TA's simultaneously? It's definitely something Spectrum did -- for failed to do. Their system has to send re-authorization signals to each TA at least once per month. But the indicator of no authorization is usually a repeating cycle of 8-blinks-pause. You can see the exact date/time your TA auth will expire in TA diagnostics -- but only if the TA is connected so you can get into diagnostics.

9. Dec 6, 2019 #9 of 10
    XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Where are you located. Charter has often purchased locals and kept their equipment is service for years so it may not be a national problem - IE I have Moto. CC and TA...

10. Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Eureka. I'm not the only one. I knew it had to be something on their end and not my equipment!!!! We've been eff'd!

NYC Spectrum - Tuning Adapter nerfed NYC Spectrum - Tuning Adapter nerfed