Spectrum/Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scarfa211, Sep 22, 2019.

1. scarfa211

scarfa211 New Member

Sep 21, 2019

Advertisements

Hi all, after getting the new spectrum DVR ive decided to go back to tivo. I have a quick question on install. I have been seeing posts about a splitter being used now, when I had tivo about 3 years ago I never used a splitter with my TA. This is going to be hard wired lan also.

Thank you

2. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    I still have a splitter installed for both of my Cisco tuning adapters. I've seen some folks say recently that is not needed with Cisco, only with Motorola.

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Tivo recommends using a 2 way splitter to connect a TA. https://support.tivo.com/articles/K...l-a-Tuning-Adapter-for-Switched-Digital-Video
    It is pretty much mandatory if you are going to use MoCA plus the additional need for a MoCA filter on the leg feeding the TA. Having said that, simple trial and error can likely tell you what works in your situation very quickly. The coax out port on the TA does severely interfere with MoCA signals but what the amount of loss to standard CATV frequencies is unknown.

PCurry57 likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you’re not doing MoCA, then I think the splitter is optional ... though I think it may still be useful, as it’s my understanding that the pass-through signal can be affected by the power state of the Tuning Adapter. But trial of the pass-through, as suggested by @fcfc2, might be the way to go, to see if you can reduce the cable clutter. Just be sure to monitor the live TV signal when power-cycling the TA.

5. scarfa211

scarfa211 New Member

Sep 21, 2019

Advertisements

Thanks all, Ill grab a splitter and see what happens. Now to deal with spectrum and the TA fiasco lol

6. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Just curious about why dump the spectrum DVR = not that I want one but just curious

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    There is about a 7db signal loss through the TA. A two way splitter has a 3.5db loss.

fcfc2 likes this.
  8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Can you provide a reference to substantiate this statement for the Cisco STA1520 TA?

9. scarfa211

scarfa211 New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Where do I begin. Slow, clunky, no commercial skip, no fast skip, no 30 second skip. 17 steps to create a season pass it seems, just plain garbage.

10. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I don't have any references for this. My data is from a Motorola MTR 700 TA and the info was from the Charter tech at that time using his signal meter to check the signal loss. I was suprised because I thought it would be similar to a regular splitter at about a 3db loss per leg. The reason I had the tech check because my TiVo back then worked better when the signal was sit between the TiVo and the TA vs the signal coming from the TA.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There is no reason to think the Cisco TA has the same loss (if any) as the Motorola unit. They are obviously very different designs just based on the huge Cisco size. Or if there is, I hope someone will fill us in on this. I remember seeing somewhere that the Cisco box has internal gain so the output signal is actually slightly greater than the input ---- however I am unable to find any reference to back that up.

I do know that I have used my Cisco TA for 10 years without a splitter and have even inserted in-line attenuation because the signal was so strong. Obviously YMMV.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yep, Cisco has an amp to make up for the loss. Motorola has no such thing, and the loss is massive. Keep in mind that dB is logarithmic. So 3dB is a 50% loss, and 7dB is an 80% loss. My own measurements were even greater than 7dB. It's as if the Motorola is filled with saw dust. That was enough to lose several channels entirely in my system.

All of that is a non-issue with Cisco. The main problem with Cisco is it needs periodic reboots. Motorola usually does not.

krkaufman, dlfl and fcfc2 like this.
  13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Have you also measured the input/output ratio for the Cisco TA? Or can you provide a reference for that?

I can confirm the Cisco's need for reboots. I guess we'll never know whether that's caused by a software or design flaw in the TA, or poor operation of the cable systems. It is puzzling that some users find the need to power-cycle every week or even every day while others, including myself, can go about a month.

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have not. No Cisco's in my market. Seems like I saw a spec sheet a long time ago that referenced the unity gain, but can't put my finger on it. I was curious at the time why everybody seemed to be using pass-thru even though that didn't work at all on my Moto. Then I read about Cisco's internal amp and it made more sense.

The way I measured the Moto was on my Ceton tuner diagnostics. I tried the different connections and looked at the differences in the signal strength stats. I don't have any other tools for that, nor did I ever ask the cable tech to do it.

I never, ever had to reboot my Moto those several years I had it.

All this was years ago. I no longer have cable TV at all and have disconnected my Tivos, and all my old tuners are stored away, so I can't do any more experiments.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But then the loss through the Cisco would spike during a power cycle, right? So a splitter would be best in both cases for a consistent signal?

mdavej likes this.
  16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    My Cisco would crap out about every 3-4 weeks. I put them on a one week timer (couldn't really set it anything else) and I have had zero problems for for the last one or two years.

17. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

Very true. I should of prefaced my comment with the TA I was using. Always had Motorola products in my Charter/Spectrum market and forget that different Charter/Spectrum markets have different manufacturers. I don't think the OP stated what equipment he/she is using in their Spectrum market.

18. scarfa211

scarfa211 New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Sorry Im using a cisco

19. scarfa211

scarfa211 New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    So I called Cable card support, which is actually local to me in Buffalo, got a great guy on the phone, knew exactly what he was doing and within 10 minutes I was all set. Not a single issue, I think I got lucky getting a guy who knew what a Tivo was and how to actually pair a card and TA. Thanks for all the help here.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. JKR123

JKR123 Active Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Does anyone know if Charter Spectrum is sending some type of daily communication to these tuning adapters? The reason I am asking is that after moving one of my (working with no issues) TA/cable card combinations to a new Bolt box, I have been having to reboot my TA on a daily basis. The problem is happening during a specific window each day, which is between 10am and 3pm. I have a program set to record at 9am and 3pm each day that is on a channel requiring the TA. Like clockwork the morning show records but the afternoon show does not because the signal no longer comes through on that channel. I would have chalked this up to maybe a bad TA, but the issue is repeatable and time dependent. The only workaround I can think of is to connect the TA to a smart plug that automatically turns it off and on at a given time each day. I am running tests today to see if I can isolate the best time to do this. This is a Motorola tuning adapter. I do have a splitter as part of the equation but didn’t have it set up that way with the other box.