Spectrum TA Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by mobouser, Mar 13, 2021.

1. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...

Advertisements

Hi, I got a four tuner Bolt and Cisco cable card installed. I get stations up to around fifty or so. We wanted to increase channels and so just got a Cisco TA from Spectrum that was sent to our address here in Florida.The TA registers solid green after blinking for about ten minutes. I really only have one usb connector to the bolt from the TA since I hooked up pre TA with RG cable. I'm not getting any functionality from using the TA as a matter of fact the Bolt does not even see the TA anyone know what I'm doing wrong thanks for any input

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Don’t know what this means.

The TA and BOLT must be connected via a direct USB cable. And both devices must be connected to the coax — though the BOLT must not be connected via the TA’s pass-through port if the BOLT has MoCA enabled.

3. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Thanks for the quick response. Out of the wall the coax runs to a 3 way y splitter which in turn feeds the the TA and the Bolt

4. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    I only have a USB Cable running from the TA to the Bolt. The cable card is in the Bolt not the TA

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

Your physical connections are correct. You may need to add a Moca filter at the input of your TA in order for it to function, if you have Moca enabled in your system.

Can you clarify how your current location relates to your cable service address. It appears you're from NY, living temporarily in FL and that you ordered your TA from Spectrum in NY which was shipped to FL?

Sounds like you may have also brought your cable card from NY since you get so few channels. For your cable card and TA to function, they must be linked to an account that is active for your current service address, the same address you're watching from. You can't subscribe to service in another state and plug it in elsewhere and expect it to work.

A TA on Spectrum will typically add only 20 or so additional channels, most of which are premiums, sports and foreign language channels, assuming it's active on the account at your service location.

6. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Might just need to restart the Tivo.

mdavej likes this.
  7. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Thanks again, I don't have Moca, Were in Tampa cable area but closer to Orlando. The cable service is totally separate from our upstate NY residence. We get cable down here thru our Townhouse Community, Spectrum is the only allowed service. I ordered the cable card and later the TA since the TA was not included with the cable card. The usb cable for the TA has the printer type B style connector to the TA and it is not a flush plug in. Im not sure its a true connection and so I think that's my problem.

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Push it in harder.

mattyro7878 likes this.
  9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This varies with the region. On some systems the TA is required to get many important mainline HD channels.

UCLABB likes this.
  10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In Orlando a great deal of the channels are SDV.

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Regardless, anybody in a multi-home situation would be a lot better off with streaming than with cable. Using Youtube TV in two households in lieu of cable/satellite saves me about $175/month. I get pretty much the same content I had on cable with none of the hassles of cable cards and TAs or equipment to move from place to place.

12. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    I get services thru the developer (new Construction). Right now I only pay for the cable card.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thread crapper. How does this help the OP?

mattyro7878 likes this.
  14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Did you get the TA from your headend facility? A TA needs to be authorized in the system. Might be worthwhile to check that out. Also, if it is connected and the Bolt "sees" it, disconnecting the USB or rebooting the TA should immediately cause a screen to pop up from the Bolt saying that there is no TA connected. If this isn't happening, I'd worry about the USB cable or the connection.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Meh, sometimes it can take a bit of a shake to see things differently, and it wasn’t strictly “c****ing” as (1) it offered a legit alternative with real cost and functionality benefits, and (2) it was a followup post to their prior reply directly addressing the TA issue.

All I am saying... is give peace a chance.

mdavej likes this.
  16. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Thanks for all replies. Some history on the order I called Spectrum general number and ordered the unit this Friday midday and got it on Saturday fedex, which was super fast for Spectrum. The unit does blink green for a few minutes then goes to solid green as it should but its not registering with my Bolt I checked by going to the cable card listing. I think it could be the USB and will change that with another cable from Amazon and with all the information here will try again on Tuesday will report any luck with this then.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As @UCLABB posted above, you'd need to contact your cable provider to the the TA paired with your BOLT, similar to the pairing needed for the CableCARD.

It would be worthwhile confirming the CableCARD authorization, as well. (Something to do with the "Val" setting in the CableCARD setup screens on the DVR, I believe; others here are pretty well versed on CableCARD troubleshooting.) For example, @JoeKustra:
    p.s. Quote taken from what may be a worthwhile thread to review, including the suggestion to make an FCC complaint (fairly easy to file) to nudge Spectrum to take care of you. See: Cisco Tuning Adapter STA1520 issue, Spectrum cable

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I don’t think TAs are actually paired with the TiVos just simply authorized, i.e., in the system. I’ve moved TAs to different TiVos without issue. It could be since the TA gets a solid light that it is in the system.

To the OP, did you do as I suggested and reboot the TA or remove the USB and see if you got the warning screen that the TA was disconnected?
    Do you have a spare USB cable for a printer? I believe that’s the style connection that goes into the TA.

FCC complaint is probably moot these days sine the FCC no longer requires cable card support.

mdavej likes this.
  19. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Getting another cable will report back with any luck. I don't have a complaint with Spectrum at this time

20. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Just to double check: you did reboot the Bolt, right? I've experienced issues where even though the TA has been rebooted and working, the Bolt also needed to be rebooted to get things working.

Also, you never answer this: To the OP, did you do as I suggested and reboot the TA or remove the USB and see if you got the warning screen that the TA was disconnected?