Spectrum SW Ohio: Totally blank EAS alerts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dlfl, Sep 27, 2017.

1. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

The last few EAS alerts on my Roamio have not shown any message. They just blank (all black) the video and ignore remote control commands for what seems like at least 2 minutes. One could easily suspect the TiVo is bricked. If you wait long enough it comes to life again. I can tell these are EAS because my mini will grab a tuner.

The national EAS today was a little different. After a minute or two of locked blank screen the alert message box did appear.

Just wondering if others are seeing this behavior.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That use to happen here too. I think it's trying to tune to a channel that doesn't exist or you're not authorized to tune. Do you have a tuning adapter? Is it working properly?

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I use a TA and it is working OK. (Of course that doesn't mean my CableCARD and TA are working totally properly as intended by Cisco -- Spectrum's support and signaling can always be suspect.)

This seemed to just start happening in the last few weeks. Before that the messages displayed. So I'm just wondering if others have noticed the change. Maybe Spectrum changed something in anticipation of the national test today(?).

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They may have updated the EAS channel in your card. When I first got my 4 tuner Premiere unit we still had some analog stations and the 4 tuner Premiere didn't support analog stations. But the CableCARD was still pointed at an analog station for EAS so every time I got an EAS it dumped me to a black screen with no way to exit until it was over. The same thing happened a couple years ago on my Roamio. But this time they were trying to tune an SDV channel and my TA wasn't working right so I got the same black screen.