1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum requires cablebox

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TheSubmariner, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1 of 78
    TheSubmariner

TheSubmariner Member

May 31, 2008
    So I went to return the TWC cablebox in the bedroom because I recently bought a TiVo mini and wanted to free myself from the monthly cablebox $10 fee. Bastards at Spectrum said no can do - I need to have a cablebox in order to have service. Their system does not accept no cablebox for live service... Never mind I have a cablecard for the main TiVo in the living room. This is due to the TWC/Spectrum merge.

Sucks!

2. Jan 7, 2017 #2 of 78
    jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I had the same issue when signing up for service in store. At least they gave me a simple set top box which is only $4/month instead of a DVR. I'm hoping I can somehow return it in the future though, but your experience makes me think otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. Jan 7, 2017 #3 of 78
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I had no problem returning a cable box to Charter a couple of years ago and getting it off my bill. You should raise a ruckus, threaten to cancel, etc.

pmbtv likes this.
  4. Jan 7, 2017 #4 of 78
    TheSubmariner

TheSubmariner Member

May 31, 2008
    Tried that. Threatened to look up FIOS...
    Gave me the 'tell someone who cares' attitude back. Typical.

5. Jan 7, 2017 #5 of 78
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It seems to me this is a violation of the FCC regulations, at least it is a violation of the purpose of the regulations,
    CableCARD: Know Your Rights
    And in this case, if they are forcing you to pay for an unneeded and unused cable box when you are in fact using a cable card, then I would encourage you to file a complaint with the FCC. Here is a link, just fill it out and see what happens.
    FCC Complaints

Borack and krkaufman like this.
  6. Jan 7, 2017 #6 of 78
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Charter/Spectrum went to all digital several years ago. So, if the new unit is being connected to its own tv, it will need a cable box unless it uses a cableCARD.

When they first changed to all digital I was rather pissed, as I have little 19" TVs in my kitchen and my office. I just used the old 'plug a cable from the wall to the tv and go' deal. But when they changed I had to have cable boxes for those TVs to operate on cable.

The good news was that the new cable boxes are much smaller, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, except for having to pay $5-6 for each new cable box.

7. Jan 7, 2017 #7 of 78
    TheSubmariner

TheSubmariner Member

May 31, 2008
    Cool. Thanks. Will do so.

8. Jan 7, 2017 #8 of 78
    sbillard

sbillard Member

Sep 16, 2014
    At least so far they have not told me to get a cable box. But If they do I will insist on my free cable modem as well. (When TW wanted to charge me $5 a month for a $60 box I bought my own!)

I run a Roameo Plus with two mini's. Cable card and Tuning Adapter is all I pay for. (Actually there is no charge on the TA.) But this was a plan that I had prior to Charter buying TW Cable.

9. Jan 7, 2017 #9 of 78
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The usual issue (and a long term issue with Verizon) is that the order screens will not let you complete an order without a cable box even though a CableCARD will fulfill the requirement on paper, the standard approach is to get the cable box and CableCARD, get service up, return the box that you don't need.

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Get your complaints in while there's still an FCC!

megory, fcfc2, tim1724 and 1 other person like this.
  11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Luckily we didn't have this issue when we ordered FIOS service for my son's apartment a little over a year ago. The apartment complex did have a specific contact for us to call but you wouldn't think that would have mattered.

Scott

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This!

If your bill shows a charge for a box, I think this will work. It did for me.

13. mdavej

mdavej Guest

Aug 13, 2015
    I've had Charter Spectrum without any boxes for years. But some promo packages may include a free box. This was the case with one of my promo deals years ago. They would not take the box back without changing my plan. So I just set said box in the closet for 2 years until the deal expired.

pmbtv likes this.
  14. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I'm on Charter and have no cable box. I hope they haven't changed anything.

pmbtv likes this.
  15. TheSubmariner

TheSubmariner Member

May 31, 2008
    I have the same setup except just one mini. When I attempted to return the bedroom cablebox they said they could not accept the box back as their system is not designed to have a service active without a cablebox.

Anyway, submitted the FCC complaint... we'll see. In the meantime, I have to pay the ten bucks a month for a useless box. (Sigh!)

16. mdavej

mdavej Guest

Aug 13, 2015
    Sometimes they don't understand unless you tell them you have Tivo. I would try again. I just changed my package on Charter, and while they tried to give me a box, once I told them I only had Tivo with a cable card, that was the end of that discussion. So Charter certainly can provide service without a box and do so to many thousands of customers today.

17. TheSubmariner

TheSubmariner Member

May 31, 2008
    Trust me, I did tell them. The customer service dude was battling to accept the box on its own without terminating the service. I told him a few times I had a Tivo. He then called his supervisor and I again told them I dont need the box because of the cablecard and Tivo. The supervisor said that the cablecard was issued by TWC because 'Spectrum does not issue cablecards anymore' I thought that was bullshirt and even tweeted that to the Spectrum twitter account. They sent back a tweet that they do indeed issue cablecards. Nevertheless, the Spectrum office where I tried to return the box said their system cant accept the box back without terminating the contract...

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You can also complain to your local franchise authority. This whole thing is just an exercise in navigating bureaucracy to reach the right people who can get things done. I usually take 2 approaches, forcing me to rent equipment is going against the purpose of CableCARDs and secondly, advertising a particular price for TV service when there is a hidden charge of renting equipment which cannot be avoided is deceptive to consumer. If they want to bundle equipment in, that should be included in the base price. I usually make the 2nd argument to the franchise authority because their rate sheet they are required to publish usually makes no mention of mandatory equipment rental.

Eventually if you are persistent enough, you get the right person with the authority to create a billing plan that doesn't require equipment. Usually it can be done by creating a special dummy cablebox that costs $0 but will satisfy the requirement from that you have a box on your account. Alternatively they can tag a CableCARD so it looks like a cablebox in their system.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The CableCARD will fulfill the box requirement, it's part of the regulations

20. pmbtv

pmbtv New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I don't have a box, and Im doing just fine without one. Now, if only Tivo would straighten out its programming guide.