Spectrum Internet TV with Tivo Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Farvasno1, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Farvasno1

Farvasno1 New Member

Aug 15, 2018

Advertisements

I have been OTA with my Roamio for about 5 years now. Pretty decent OTA reception, but marine layer can garble up picture sometimes.
    Looking into the Spectrum Cable offer (TV + Internet 40/each/mo). There is not supposed to be any setup with this, but I realize the IP serviced cable would not be recordable on Tivo.
    1. Is there another option? I don't really want (or have room to) have a dig box or adapter, so I would be open to other options to try and get local channels and other internet based services.
    2. I already have Spectrum cable, but at $105/mo, looking at other options if available. I have been told our options are ATT Uverse and TWC (now spectrum). Anyone have suggestions? Thanks...

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Spectrum’s offer isn’t IP only. All you need to do is add a cable a card ($2/month) and you’ll get everything on your TiVo as well. You can add a bracket to your OTA (~$30).

I've had every Spectrum plan there is, including the cheap "Choice" one you're considering that works on Roku and ATV. While they tout the streaming side and call it "IP", everything also comes in QAM and works fine with cable card devices like Tivo. Spectrum doesn't have IP-only service anywhere.

The main reason I ultimately dropped Spectrum TV entirely was all the bogus fees, especially the $8 "broadcast TV" fee. That one irks me especially since I get the same exact channels OTA for free.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  3. Farvasno1

Farvasno1 New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    mdavej,

Thanks for the insight. The cable card is required for the TiVo? Will that be provided (or offered) by Spectrum? So, if I get the Spectrum plan that involved the Spectrum App, this will all work with TiVo? And thru my receiver? And what "bracket" are you talking about for the antennae.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    A CableCARD is required to use a TiVo with Spectrum. Your local Spectrum office should have cards, or the installer should have them, or you can have them delivered. You will probably need a Tuning Adapter to get your complete channel line; if you do need one, Spectrum will provide it free with the CableCARD.

The Spectrum app is completely independent of your TiVo, it streams over the Internet.

The "bracket" he's talking about is modifying a TiVo OTA with a bracket to hold a CableCARD. This is an off-brand use of your TiVo and if I were you I would not consider it before thoroughly investigating the matter. Consider that TiVo's terms of service allow them to disable your TiVo if they decide you are not complying with the agreement, and I imagine they would consider installing this bracket theft of service.

5. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019

Advertisements

I just started Spectrum Choice Streaming. I ordered a Tivo Roamio OTA to record programs on the Spectrum app.
    1. Will this work?
    2. I have no antenna...am connected through a Samsung Smart TV. and have wireless network through Spectrum.
    3. Do I need the cable card you speak of in the above post?

I have hooked up the HDMI port 1 with the Tivo, but am getting no Welcome Setup Screen...not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated!!

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please send it back. It will not work.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Actually it will work. But you'll have to find a cable card bracket on ebay to install in the Tivo. Also make sure Spectrum gives you a tuning adapter with the card. I used Tivo with Spectrum Choice for quite a while. Worked fine.

8. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019

9. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Thank you for this info. However, I don't think I'm technically proficient enough to do this.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Return it for a basic Roamio which will use cable or OTA.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The OP said "Spectrum Choice Streaming". My impression has been that Spectrum Choice is regular cable (which needs a CableCARD in the TiVo, and can be recorded by the TiVo), i.e., NOT streaming. However there is a kernel of doubt in my mind. Does Spectrum offer the Choice package in streaming form in some regions?

12. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019

13. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Yes, they don't advertise it, as they still want people to use cable. But, if you ask, in Tampa, at least, they offer Choice Streaming and you can pick any ten channels plus all local channels for $25/mo. I'm loving it..but want to be able to record from it. They also offer Cloud DVR for $5/mo more. I originally purchased that, but found out that it doesn't yet work with Samsung Smart TV's, which the original announcement stated it would. Not sure when/if that's going to happen. It's suppose to work with Roku, Hulu and a few others. That is why I'm trying to hook up the Tivo..maybe I just should have purchased Roku and gone that route. Also, I'm wondering if it would work with Roku Express? Have that in another room and it picks up everything I have on my main TV. I don't know the difference between Roku and Express.....maybe one is subscription??
    I'm an older woman with some network experience...but I'm in uncharted waters here...lol.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try Google.

15. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019

16. BARBDTPA

BARBDTPA New Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Do you mean download the Google app? Will anything let me record from the Spectrum stream? I have no OTA antenna.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please ignore my post.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Choice is cheaper in your area than mine, apparantly. I checked into Spectrum Choice (not the streaming version). It's $35/mo plus $13.50/mo, which is the Broadcast TV Surcharge for my area (!!!) plus $5 taxes & fees, plus $2 for CableCARD, for a grand total more than $55/mo. And two channels I really want (Smithsonian and Fox Sports Ohio) are not available for the 10 selected channels.
    Have you seen your actual monthly bill for your Choice? I'm wondering if you avoid the Broadcast TV Surcharge? I'm going with YouTube TV which is about $54 with tax and has many more channels, very close to Spectrum's Gold package. Plus a DVR with unliimited capacity. I've tried it for two weeks and like it.
    You do have to have a streaming device such as Fire TV or Roku, but you can buy those for around $40.

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    This is incorrect. I had "Spectrum Choice" for a couple of years and it worked perfectly with Tivo and cable card. It works via streaming apps AND over QAM like regular cable. There is only one "version" of the package. There is no such thing as a streaming only version and a QAM version. They are one in the same. They simply advertise the streaming aspect and don't mention the QAM aspect.

I've had many, many arguments in the DSL Reports forum about this while literally watching my Spectrum Choice on my Tivo via cable card on one TV and via the Roku app on the other.

They do have a package called Spectrum TV Stream. But I have no idea how that one works.

I agree that Youtube TV is a much better value. I ultimately dropped Choice due to the ever increasing bogus fees (broadcast, etc.) in favor of streaming, eventually Youtube TV.

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    @BARBDTPA

As I said before, Tivo will record Spectrum Choice. If you can't install a cable card bracket into your Roamio OTA, you simply need to exchange it for a Roamio Basic and get a cable card (and tuning adapter).

However, as dlfl said, Youtube TV would be a better option and requires no Tivo or recording at all. I use it myself.

Joe's point about using Google simply means that we're just a bunch of Tivo users here that probably don't know much about all the possible alternatives out there, so better to search elsewhere for non Tivo related questions. It just so happens that I have a lot of experience with Spectrum Choice, Tivo, cable card and alternative streaming services.