1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum HD channels stopped working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by terryroe67, Apr 21, 2018.

1. terryroe67

terryroe67 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Spectrum HD channels stopped working today after nine months of service with Spectrum. Says channel not authorizeda SD works. Crappy Spectrum DVR works ok for all.

Bolt with CableCard/MCard

Internet search, I saw mention of tuning adapter.

Called Spectrum CableCard support, he didn't know, but suggested tuning adapter. I'm waiting for it to be shipped to try.

Any troubleshooting suggestions to confirm?

Any info about tuning adapters?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look in your Tivo on the Cable Card screen, perhaps its unpaired.

Just having a cable card in the Tivo does not neccessarily work unless its paired.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    What market are you in? You'll need a tuning adapter for any SDV channels. There are only a handful in the Tampa/St. Pete area (like BBC America, Cartoon Network, Cooking Channel, etc.).

Like ThAbtO suggested, go into the "Remote, CableCARD, & Devices" > "CableCARD Decoder" > "CableCARD Installation" > "CableCARD Menu" screen and make sure your card is paired and authorized.

4. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I just got Spectrum 4 hrs ago and realized my tuning adapter isn't working. Only one channel out of my favorites is missing, so it took a while to notice and isn't a dealbreaker if they can get it working. Chatted with support and when they sent the adapter a signal, it killed my cablecard until I unplugged the tuning adapter. I got a message saying something like "Tuning Adapter doesn't provide this channel" on every channel, even the cablecard channels. Now they have to send a tech out to read numbers to someone on the phone. Not a good start...

Couple details:
    Roamio
    Cisco TA

While I have some Spectrum folks' attention, how often do they have free premium channel weekends? I got this weekend cut short from Frontier FIOS during the switch.

5. Dajinni

Dajinni New Member

Apr 21, 2018
    We too have lost all HD channels with Spectrum between 1AM and 9AM today, legacy TWC setup. We are in the Columbus, OH area but on the legacy Insight bridge head so we don't need a TA. I was told by support that they are moving to all digital on the 5th and some preparatory work may have something to do with it. He did his thing with resending various signals, reactivation, etc no no avail. They were able to send a tech out today who just wasted all our time as he says we need to stop using them as they are no longer supported. After the "debate", he called basically the same department and did the same tasks with the same outcome. After that failed attempt he called a manager who did something and ultimately claim the cable card being from 2015 (apparently ancient by their standards) is shot and needs replaced. I was informed they had at least one other customer with the issue today with no resolution. I did find it interesting that there was a timely cable card / Tivo troubleshooting email in their inboxes from Friday which the tech had to read.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. terryroe67

terryroe67 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I am Columbus, Ohio, too. Specifically, Lewis Center, Delaware County. I believe I am legacy TWC.

I tried to confirm the CableCARD was paired. I called CableCARD support again 866-532-2598 and ask them to verify that, they did. They told me that there are several reported CableCARD outages in our area and Spectrum is aware and working on the issue. I'm hoping for fast resolution.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. terryroe67

terryroe67 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Every though support told me it was paired, I'm not really sure how to verify it is paired and authorized.

The Conditional Access screen has Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x00

I thought this was how I confirmed it was working when I set it up.

The Status screen looks like it is not collecting any metrics and shows IDLE.

The pairing screen has a message at the top "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider". I did not know if this was an information message or confirmation that it is not paired, contrary to what the support person said. It has the CableCARD ID, Host ID, etc. The eCM MAC is unknown and Host MAC is zeroes, seems odd.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This weekend HBO and Cinemax are sent in the clear. It seems nation-wide. This happens on my feed every few months, usually when a major series restarts (Westworld). On my feed it starts 00:00 Friday and ends 23:59 Monday. Nothing is copy protected on my feed.

There are occasional clear weekends of Starz, Showtime and Encore. Clear weekends are a good reminder of why I don't get premium channels.

9. Dajinni

Dajinni New Member

Apr 21, 2018

We are in Lewis Center as well, north of Orange which is legacy Insight. Somewhat glad to see its not an isolated issue. They mentioned someone near Westerville who is on legacy TWC was also struggling but blamed the TA on the issue. It sounded suspect especially since he acknowledged they had received and email on cable cards 24 hours prior. I was going to run a test to get it paired on an HD HomeRun Prime this afternoon but I am not even going to waste my time at this point.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have your provider and I'm using a Motorola M-Card. Here's some information:
    Your Conditional Access screen looks ok, BUT the number after the "V" is a count of the number of times a card is paired. Having a zero doesn't seem right.
    Status screen is static. My DL State is also IDLE. My Uptime is 0021 19:23 (Time since restart) Also, my FW* is 6.25
    Pairing screen always says that. Only the first four numbers and the S/N matter.
    Every feed is different, but you might see something in the Network Setup that can help.
    If the OOB mode is OOB there should be a value for Rx RF Freq. Mine was 75MHz and is now 110MHz
    VCT ID should be non-zero. That's the reference number for your Virtual Channel Table. It's unique to your headend.
    OOB Msgs: is a count that may be moving every time you hit Select. It also gets cleared on a restart. The OOB Rate will be non-zero. Mine is 6 to 17.

I hope this helps.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I noticed that Comcast OnDemand had a menu item indicating Free HBO on our Roamio (normally don't open the app directly but wanted to see if it had a quick way to see what the new movies were recently).

Scott

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Well that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Our Scientific Atlanta/Cisco CableCard in our Roamio Pro is from at least 2010 (originally installed in one our S3 OLED).

Scott

13. estockda

estockda New Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Another Lewis Center, OH (Berlin Township) using Spectrum/legacy Insight. I, too, have no HD channels on my CableCARD. I called yesterday and they told me they were aware of the issue and actively working to resolve it. The fact that it isn't resolved, even today, leads me to believe it won't be fixed until the normal 9-5 staff comes in to fix it.

The question I have: Aren't the Spectrum-owned boxes supposed to use CableCARD as well (maybe that's no longer the case)? Seems to me to be a breech of the FCC mandate, but I'm no lawyer.

WOW is expanding to my area and should be active in a matter of days. This just about puts me over the tipping point on switching. Any other locals have any experience with WOW? Is it on-par with Spectrum?

14. Dajinni

Dajinni New Member

Apr 21, 2018
    Had WOW and only switched back to TWC due to pricing. No service issues in the couple years we used them and customer service was always top notch. I have been on the fence about going back with the constant rate hikes, even have the cut sheet from the local rep sitting here and may get a call in a day or so if this does not get resolved. The only thing for me personally is the app which gets used almost every night while making and cleaning up dinner. The Tivo app is terrible in contrast but I could substitute if I had to. Channel-wise, they are not too far off though you do give up some with WOW. We are rather fortunate in this area to be able to have an actual choice.

estockda likes this.
  15. Dajinni

Dajinni New Member

Apr 21, 2018
    An update on this..... I called into the Cable Card support and spoke to someone regarding this earlier today. She had no recovery estimate on this but said that they now have a list to put customers on who will be contacted once they do resolve. There was a hint of a re-pairing event might be in order but she had limited insight since root cause had not been shared with her. I was not on the list much to my shock since I have an active work order open so call in if your not sure.

16. terryroe67

terryroe67 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    HD channels working this morning. Problem must have been resolved at Spectrum. No action required with my TiVo.

Thanks for all who replied with information to educate me.

Looks like WOW! may be servicing my area soon. I have had them before at my previous house. WOW! seems more accepting and supportive of CableCards. And, I don't really like the Spectrum monopoly and would like to foster competition.

estockda and JoeKustra like this.
  17. estockda

estockda New Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Mine still isn't working. Anyone else in the Central Ohio area still having problems?

Update: I called the CableCARD support line, (866) 532-2598, and after doing something on their end, rebooting the TiVo, and them "sending signals" to me, they were able to get it back online. Thanks for following up and letting us know it worked.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  18. rustymike12

rustymike12 New Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I'm in Grove City, and I lost all my SDV channels and jumped through all the hoops until tech 'Joe' came out and told me they needed more IP addresses........still waiting 4 days later.