1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum going 100% digital in my area.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by vman41, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jun 9, 2018 #1 of 17
    vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    So far they've mailed 2 letters and left a voicemail on my phone. Either they are applying 'lessons learned' from transitions in other markets, or they're desparate to push out the 'free' (for year) cable boxes to their customers. Maybe they just can't fathom that a household only has 1 TV hooked up to cable since my account has one tuning adapter and cablecard for my Premiere.

I have a Series 3 TiVo that I use for secondary recording during football season. I usually use it to record over the air and let the Premiere handle the games on the cable channels. I guess I will have to redo the setup on the S3 to be OTA only.

2. Jun 9, 2018 #2 of 17
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Digital doesn't matter. Your S3 can record digital just fine. Only older devices, like S2s and TVs connected directly to cable, will be effected. As long as your S3 has a CableCARD it will work just fine.

3. Jun 9, 2018 #3 of 17
    vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    My S3 doesn't have a cablecard since it only supports the older single stream cards and it's not worth getting 2. Making it support digital cable would be getting a second tuning adapter as well, no thanks.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You would only need a Tuning Adapter for some channels. Most of the more popular channels only require a CableCARD.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Spectrum already did this in my area. It is a smoke and mirrors play, they talk about going all digital and convince people that is why they need the new STB, but what they are actually doing is encrypting all the channels.

Before this all the locals and several other channels where not encrypted but where already digital and could be tuned just fine with a digital tuner in a TV. Now you need a STB or a cable card in your TiVo.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My TA has been broken for years. None of the channels I watch need it, so I've never bothered to replace it.

7. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Active Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cuts down on theft, and yes cables can be tapped if there is no encryption. There are within their legal rights to do so.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You must watch a bunch of crap. ;) All the good stuff is needs a TA. Seriously, one of these days I'm going to go through the tedious task of seeing what channels I need a TA for. I'm pretty sure several of them require a TA as I tend to watch channels that few others watch.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Connect a Homerun Prime and you can see exactly which channels are SDV, no tedium required.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not here. I went through the channels and I get all but like 3 HD channels and those 3 were odd ball channels I didn’t care about.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have a TA, but if I was making decisions I would put the most unpopular channels on SDV.

12. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    When Charter went digital in my area a couple of years ago I tried it without the TA and all my Silver package channels work but one and I think that is a cable card mapping problem...

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's really the point of SDV. To put the lesser watched channels on the SDV frequencies. If you have a popular channel that's always being watched then it defeats the whole purpose of SDV.

14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That's what TWC did here at first; there were very few channels that anyone would ever want to watch. But they've remapped them several times since then, and now, as Spectrum, every Premium channel is SDV and a goodly selection of the stuff one might want to watch is also. I suspect that a lot of people just buy a small number of premiums, so it makes sense to SDV them. Either that or Spectrum is being a d*ck.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I suppose it may cut down on theft in apartment complexes but I highly doubt many people are tapping into cables in some else's house. In any event my point is they are lying about why people now need a STB on a TV where they used to get the locals on by just plugging in the cable. My friends were clearly told it was because Spectrum was going all digital - again that is a lie. The choice to encrypt locals was just that a choice it has nothing to do with dropping the last few analog channels they had. The locals had been available in HD/digital and unencrypted for years.

16. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    In my Charter Spectrum area they’ve had most (possibly all) SD channels over 100 on SDV along with most of the HD premium channels for several years now. And possibly some other random stuff, but some of it changes occasionally.

(And yet we still have only 60 Mbps internet available. Which is usually 20-30 Mbps in the evening.

17. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    My Premiere updated its channel list, but Spectrum says the switch is going to happen 'on or about' the 19th. So now several of the channels in the don't align with the channel numbers.