Spectrum frustration

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tim_m, Apr 28, 2019.

1. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017

Advertisements

I hope this is ok to post in here instead of the help section. As you guys know i recently moved to a new apartment and my elderly dad is now living with us. When we moved we kept his account instead of ours because he still had new customer promos. He also doesn't have Tivo and wanted to keep his spectrum worldbox dvrs. Ever since the move we have been unable to get the TA to sync. The first cc and TA didn't work at all there was no info in the pairing screen. So we got a tech out here and the cc he brought worked to where we were getting non SDV channels but could not get the TA to work. The next tech that came really messed things up, he claimed the data ID was in the wrong spot but when they put it in the right spot, so he says we lost almost all channels and only had a handful working. Most said not authorized.

After he did this the TA light stayed on for about 20 seconds. The next guy that came out put the data ID back the way it was and again only SDV didn't work he couldn't the TA to work either. The guy that messed it up royally said he found a outside line issue after doing a hot drop directly from outside and that maintenance would be there by the weekend to fix it. The weekend comes and nothing. So we get another tech and he says the signal from outside is low and that there will be maintenance there by Tuesday. We tell him if not a complaint will be filed with the FCC. Nobody shows up and the complaint is filed. The next day they call us about the complaint and then yesterday a tech and his supervisor show up spend several hours doing the same crap everyone else did. This tech claims the issue is a coding issue on the account. Said they had us having 4 dvrs when we had 2 dvrs and 2 hd boxes and that adding those 2 hd boxes is what mucked it all up. We only added them cause we just didn't have time to get to charter before the move to get a cc and TA.

So today they come back because it just got too late last night. It is a different tech but the same supervisor. They do all the same crap they did the day before and a few other things that had really no hope of working. They claim to have talked to Tivo and Tivo says the issue is the Tivo. I'm calling bs though because the usb ports are working on the Tivo. I have the bluetooth dongle plugged in for the remote. Finally they were getting ready to leave and we notice that its more broken then when they got here. It is doing the same thing it was when the one tech changed the data ID around. They mess with it for a another 20 minutes or so claim everything is correct even though now most of our channels say not authorized. I personally don't believe they called cc support and double checked where the data ID and host ID are. They then try the cc that was in there at the beginning of the day and now nothing is authorized. Again i don't believe they called cc support to try and pair the previous card that was working.

They are now claiming the Tivo spontaneously completely broke and we need to contact them about getting a replacement. So honestly do you guys think there's any realistic chance they are right and blowing smoke up my butt? Cause i don't believe any of this hogwash for a second. The Tivo and TA were working perfectly at my last apartment. We were so annoyed by all these different excuses and reasons of what the problem is that we just basically told them to get the hell out. We have frontier fios as an option, so that is what we are doing, besides their internet is better upload, their dvr is whole house and has 6 tuners. So even if it does turn out to be the tivo, which i highly doubt it will, we have whole house again. The only downside is they can't install until Wednesday afternoon. So the 2 rooms with Tivo have no tv until then.

Anyway sorry for the long rant but i figured if anyone had any idea if they could be right or if they're just lying because they refuse to admit there's an issue somewhere on there end and don't know what it is.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    This looks like a continuation of this thread of yours:
    Need some advice
    Not sure what advantage you expected from starting a new thread.
    Some readers won't make the connection so you will likely be getting some of the same responses you had in that thread all over again, which is confusing and time-wasting for all.

My two cents: Your particular Spectrum system is clueless as to Tuning Adapters, etc., and who knows when or if ever they will wise up. Consider selling the TiVo and dropping cable and get a Fire TV (e.g., 4K stick). Get an Amazon Recast for OTA channels and subscribe to something like PlayStation Vue to replace the cable channels. This will provide a single user interface with integrated guide data (free BTW) for both OTA and cable channels. Plus an excellent platform for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. Note that net cost for this approach will likely be no more than using TiVo and cable, possibly less.

Bigg likes this.
  3. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah, I should've just put it there. I thought it might get more visibility is this one. Yeah it was working fine the day we moved. I am almost certain it's something in their system in their end. Like I mentioned the USB ports are functioning and that's what's used to communicate with the TA. Before they left I think they intentionally screwed up the cable card pairing. Honestly if it were just me, I would keep internet and probably get DirecTvnow ott service but my elderly parents they live with me still like having cable and being able to record their shows and watch them whenever. We still love the TiVo too. I'm not willing to part with it. Hopefully frontier will do better. There's no TA. So all they gotta do is pair the cable card which even spectrum was able to do.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  4. May 1, 2019 #4 of 31
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If they can't figure it out, then file an FCC complaint, which will light a fire under their arse, and force them to get a tech out who knows CableCard and TAs. If you have Frontier FiOS available though, just go with that.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  5. May 1, 2019 #5 of 31
    tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017

Advertisements

We did and they still gave up and blamed the TiVo. We are just gonna go to frontier since they since they only use cable card. Unfortunately that's not going smoothly either. They came to install today only to find out someone cut the fiber drop. So that's gotta be fixed first before we can get the service. They can't fix the fiber drop until Monday. So another week before we can find out if the TiVo is the issue. If it is at least frontier has the quantum whole house 6 tuner dvr that we can get in the meantime till we figure out what to do with the TiVo.

6. May 1, 2019 #6 of 31
    tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I am starting to wonder if my new apartment is cursed.

CopRock likes this.
  7. May 2, 2019 #7 of 31
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    It usually happens to people in single family housing but having a cable that's been cut when it shouldn't be is more common than you think. It doesn't matter if it's coaxial or fiber if it can buried somebody is liable to hit it with a shovel at some point. It happens sometimes, things will improve, have faith.

8. May 2, 2019 #8 of 31
    tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The cut is actually inside in the closet before it gets to the ont actually. So I don't know who did it or why. I know we'll get it all sorted by next week it's just frustrating. The TA was not the only issues we were having with spectrum either. Their new worldbox DVRs were giving us trouble too. I'm actually happy about going back to FiOS better internet, better DVR if it turns out the TiVo is faulty. My main reason for getting the TiVo in the first place was spectrum DVR being crappy and dropping whole house. So if it is worse case scenario and the TiVo is broke I'll still have whole house DVR with 6 runners until I can get a new TiVo.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  9. May 2, 2019 #9 of 31
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    May Karma find the wire cutter and hide all their remotes for two weeks.

10. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    :D

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Errr .... so given this, and the general consensus that FIOS is superior, the question arises: why didn't you just stick with FIOS?

12. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Well where i lived before this TWC and then Spectrum was the only option. The whole two years it was Spectrum that we had TiVo it worked perfectly. We had no reason to believe that would change at the new address so we kept them. The only change was we closed my account and kept my dads Spectrum account. He still had first year promos and we didn't. So it was cheaper to keep his and obviously we didn't need two accounts, but since we moved here its been just a total nightmare. I believe there's something wrong with the wiring or coding in their system. They won't admit it though. The TiVo isn't the only problem. We've had other issues with outages, slow internet, spectrum dvr not working properly etc. Just overnight they updated their worldbox and it deleted recordings while showing 2% used still.

13. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Spectrum is lying or ignorant or both.

Why would you want to be their customer when you have other options?

Dump them immediately and go with Fios.

CopRock likes this.
  14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Good luck with FiOS. The FiOS system itself is as good as anything out there, but Frontier is the most back-asswards, bungled up mess of a company. It has absolutely no clue how to do anything. No one communicates with anyone else, there are a whole bunch of different departments that never talk to each other, it's incredible.

15. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yep just waiting for them to fix the cut fiber on Monday.

16. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah I've heard that. I had it when it was Verizon and loved it. But spectrum had over a month to resolve this so frontier gets a chance.

Bigg likes this.
  17. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    Your TiVO gets cable channels so if that’s not proof the TiVO is working than I don’t know what is. Your current problem is authorization of channels including SDV ones. That’s what the Cable Card and TA are for and that’s the domain of the cable companies as it’s their hardware.

With Frontier FIOS there is no TA so that’s a HUGE win for you. You just need Frontier to put a Cable Card in the TiVO and pair it to authorize cable channels. Since FIOS cable uses MOCA the TiVO is now networked w/o any need for an ethernet cable.

18. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Yep when they arrived Saturday we were only not getting SDV channels after a few hours of trying stuff and talking to TiVo they tried to say it was the TiVo. So we told them to just leave it as it is. At this point we didn't believe them and already planned to call frontier after they left. Before they left we noticed we were getting even less channels then we were getting like 45 minutes earlier. They had changed the cable card they was giving us most with another one. I think someone on their end provisioned it wrong or entered the numbers incorrectly. We told them about the issue they tried to fix it, so they said. They then just put back in the previous cable card hoping it would magically work and give us most the channels back but then nothing worked. That's when they claimed the TiVo failed completely in less than an hour. We got about 5 different reasons it's not working, we've had 2 techs confirm a outside wire issue. One says it's a coding issue and then the supervisor said it's the TiVo. I believe it's a combo of wiring and coding. I noticed when the supervisor came back Saturday she had a different tech then the one who said it's a coding issue. I personally she just wanted nothing more then a reason to blame my TiVo then to dig deep enough to find the issue on their end. You know I didn't think of that. Does that mean I can hook up my mini with the coax? Will I need a POE filter? Will the apps work this way as well?

19. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    Yes, the Mini just needs coax and it’s networked. The POE filter is not necessary with FIOS. On the TiVO DVR make sure to select "join an existing MoCA network" when setting up networking.

Pairing a Cable Card correctly can be as simple as you or the on-site tech calling the automated cable providers Cable Card activation and reading off the CC ID, Host ID and possibly Data number. If it’s not automated then it’s up to the back office person knowing how to provision a Cable Card in their computer system. The on-site tech can’t do it all.

7966E3DC-71E0-4060-9FB8-DC6F69F4F376.png

TiVO Cable Card setup

Bigg likes this.
  20. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That would save us a lot of mess. We had it setup with ethernet previously because spectrum doesn't do MoCa. So that would have meant setting up one using the TiVo and needing bridges and POE filters etc.

We plan to have the tech install it. We made sure a cable card install is included in the order along with a Quantum DVR and a wireless HD box. My dad doesn't want a TiVo because he likes using on-demand. Plus we only have the one Roamio and mini.